Schiit Gungnir DAC
Mar 28, 2024 at 7:47 PM Post #7,006 of 7,049
In the video below, Jason mentions that a Gungnir 2 Multibit may be coming later this year!! :L3000: And it may come out before the Gungnir 2 Singularity does.

And seems like it could come as early as the summer! I’m excited. As much aw I love the Gumby, these days I’m realizing how gimped the SE out is compared with the XLR out. It makes me wish I had two XLR outs, or at least that the quality was the same between all three outputs. Who knows if that’ll be the case with the Gumby 2.

Mar 28, 2024 at 7:48 PM Post #7,007 of 7,049
And seems like it could come as early as the summer! I’m excited. As much aw I love the Gumby, these days I’m realizing how gimped the SE out is compared with the XLR out. It makes me wish I had two XLR outs, or at least that the quality was the same between all three outputs. Who knows if that’ll be the case with the Gumby 2.
When i had Gumby it's rca outs weren't great- even had a buzzing sound at higher volumes, but, I was unsure if that was the Gumby or the K9 Pro's analog in (which I had never used before then).

The xlr out sounded great.

Mar 28, 2024 at 7:53 PM Post #7,008 of 7,049
My Gumby sounds awful until it gets to about 40 hours and still sounds disheveled and unfocused until it hits ~70 hrs, same before/after I did the Gen 5 update and the factory Unison update

Same here. When it's first switched on, everything sounds really messy and disjointed. It's pretty obvious that something is 'wrong' with its sound. But after around 24hrs of being left on, everything becomes cohesive and it sounds wonderful.

Mar 28, 2024 at 8:02 PM Post #7,009 of 7,049
Yeah that piqued my curiosity as well.
I wonder if it will be based on Ti 11001b like Yggy MiB.

Most likely. But I'd really love to see Jason get back to using a fully-discrete, Class-A output stage again (like the OG Yggy and Gumby have) and ditch the use of op-amps in his higher end designs.

Mar 28, 2024 at 8:04 PM Post #7,010 of 7,049
Most likely. But I'd really love to see Jason get back to using a fully-discrete, Class-A output stage again (like the OG Yggy and Gumby have) and ditch the use of op-amps in his higher end designs.
Oh Im definitely with you there. One of the reasons i didnt go for more is better (besides price). The og A1 is still great.

Mar 28, 2024 at 8:13 PM Post #7,011 of 7,049
Interested in the Gumby 2 - but my A1 stays until the end!

OTOH, interested in buying a Ragnarok 3....

Mar 28, 2024 at 8:23 PM Post #7,012 of 7,049
Interested in the Gumby 2 - but my A1 stays until the end!

OTOH, interested in buying a Ragnarok 3....
I have an A1 as well, new-to-me this past December. I'm in absolutely no rush to upgrade to a newer model. I'll have to send it in for the Unison upgrade sometime this year. I use a D-D converter to feed the Gumby's coax input.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2024 at 1:07 AM Post #7,016 of 7,049
Apr 3, 2024 at 1:05 PM Post #7,017 of 7,049
First post, just got my Gumby used from eBay, I’m going to send it in for multibit upgrade would you all say the process is pretty easy? I really love the way it sounds excited to hear the difference In the upgrade.
Congrats! and Welcome :)

The upgrade process is simple enough in that you order it through the website (upgrade + return shipping) and then wait for your turn to send it in (based on your number in the queue - you'll get an email for this) - you cover shipping and insurance to get it to Schiit in CA, then they handle it from there.

I am curious though that if you wanted a Multibit Gungnir (Gumby) why you went with a Gungnir DS? (C serial unless otherwise specified due to upgrade)
Cost-wise you might save a bit by purchasing a used Gumby (A or B serial number, and later L serial minus VCXO) and then resell the Gungnir DS.
There is certainly a market for the DS for folks who want a hardware-balanced DAC with two AKM AK4399 32-bit D/A converters.

All variants are excellent, each with their own character, but upgrading to Multibit from DS (especially if Unison USB is also being added) gets you into similar price territory as just buying another Gumby ...

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 1:16 PM Post #7,018 of 7,049

The upgrade process is simple enough in that you order it through the website (upgrade + return shipping) and then wait for your turn to send it in (based on your number in the queue - you'll get an email for this) - you cover shipping and insurance to get it to Schiit in CA, then they handle it from there.

I am curious though that if you wanted a Multibit Gungnir (Gumby) why you went with a Gungnir DS? (C serial unless otherwise specified due to upgrade)
Cost-wise you might save a bit by purchasing a used Gumby (A or B serial number, and later L serial minus VCXO) and then resell the Gungnir DS.
There is certainly a market for the DS for folks who want a hardware-balanced DAC with two AKM AK4399 32-bit D/A converters.

All variants are excellent, each with their own character, but upgrading to Multibit from DS (especially if Unison USB is also being added) gets you into similar price territory as just buying another Gumby ...
But ugrading gives you a new warranty, so that is worth something too. I suppose it all depends on what the poster paid for the DS version.

Apr 3, 2024 at 1:27 PM Post #7,020 of 7,049

I bought the unit used on eBay, I got a really good price on it, so I wasn’t to put out by sending it in for the upgrade.I just sent it in yesterday after I got the queue email. Plus I wanted to send it in for a check up of sorts since they look and check the DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back