Schiit Gungnir DAC
Mar 10, 2024 at 4:59 PM Post #6,976 of 7,100
Gumby MB with Unison deathmatched against Yggy OG with Gen5. Can't wait to "hear" the results...
It's gonna be fun! I'm really curious how this is going to turn out.

Mar 10, 2024 at 5:00 PM Post #6,977 of 7,100
When it rains, it pours! :darthsmile:
Yeah my dinner situation took a bit of a hit lolol
Got a few fast food days ahead this month lmao.

Mar 10, 2024 at 5:09 PM Post #6,978 of 7,100
It's gonna be fun! I'm really curious how this is going to turn out.
Not sure if you have a 2-channel rig, but I found the difference between Yggy and Gungnir to become more apparent using a 2-channel setup, staging differences in particular.
Differences that I had a hard time discerning with headphones became more apparent with speakers, though YMMV.
To be fair there is no loser here, just different flavors of awesome sauce!!
Have fun, and looking forward to your observations :)

Mar 10, 2024 at 5:10 PM Post #6,979 of 7,100
Yeah my dinner situation took a bit of a hit lolol
Got a few fast food days ahead this month lmao.

It’ll be worth it!

I owned an OG Yggy for a bit, and it’s definitely end-game level. But the Gumby gets pretty close for half the money, and some even prefer its slightly more easygoing sound over the more resolving Yggy. IMHO you can’t go wrong with either one.

Mar 10, 2024 at 5:16 PM Post #6,980 of 7,100
It’ll be worth it!

I owned an OG Yggy for a bit, and it’s definitely end-game level. But the Gumby gets pretty close for half the money, and some even prefer its slightly more easygoing sound over the more resolving Yggy. IMHO you can’t go wrong with either one.
Yep! That sounds like my thoughts on it.
I will run fully balanced but I only have 3 pairs of cans here to try.
I do have an old school Yamaha receiver with a Velodyne sub on some old Bose 501s in my living room... I hadnt thought about that until now but could insert yggy and gumby into that chain too. And, yes I just run 2.1 in there.
Truth be told I almost never crank it up anymore as we all just have our own headphone stations @ our PCs.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2024 at 4:47 PM Post #6,981 of 7,100
And it begins...
after 30 minute warm-up my first impressions are "Wow, the clarity and details!"
Yggy OG should be here by Wednesday for the shootout to begin.
Flux Mentor by Friday ;!

itbegins2.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2024 at 5:04 PM Post #6,982 of 7,100
And it begins...
after 30 minute warm-up my first impressions are "Wow, the clarity and details!"
Yggy OG should be here by Wednesday for the shootout to begin.
Flux Mentor by Friday ;!

itbegins2.jpg
What a week for you! Make sure to give both a good bit of warm up time before you do a serious comparison. My Gumby doesn’t sound right until after about a full day of being left on.

Mar 11, 2024 at 5:36 PM Post #6,984 of 7,100
I will for sure guys. It is immediately noticeable as different. My K9 Pro has a really good DAC implementation for delta sigma with a pair of es9038 Pros but it's clear that Gumby beats it handily in resolution and detail retrieval. Going thru my playlist and hearing new stuff on every song! It isnt force feeding me all those details, though; it's like serving them up on a platter for me to pick through.
This is the first time I've heard a non-delta sigma DAC and, boy, howdy, I get the allure for sure~

Mar 11, 2024 at 5:42 PM Post #6,985 of 7,100
I will for sure guys. It is immediately noticeable as different. My K9 Pro has a really good DAC implementation for delta sigma with a pair of es9038 Pros but it's clear that Gumby beats it handily in resolution and detail retrieval. Going thru my playlist and hearing new stuff on every song! It isnt force feeding me all those details, though; it's like serving them up on a platter for me to pick through.
This is the first time I've heard a non-delta sigma DAC and, boy, howdy, I get the allure for sure~

Welcome my son
Welcome to the machine

:beerchug:
JC

Mar 11, 2024 at 5:46 PM Post #6,986 of 7,100
Welcome my son
Welcome to the machine

:beerchug:
JC
oooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhh yeah , Baby.

Listening to Pink Floyd now :)

There is definitely a different "tonality" to it. It just sounds more real.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2024 at 7:42 PM Post #6,987 of 7,100
So, I just found a balanced input on the K9 after-all. It's a 4.4mm though which I've never used.
Ordered up a dual 3-pin XLR to 4.4mm cable that'll be here by the time Yggy is.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2024 at 8:55 PM Post #6,988 of 7,100
I will for sure guys. It is immediately noticeable as different. ,,, it's clear that Gumby beats it handily in resolution and detail retrieval. ... it's like serving them up on a platter for me to pick through.
Crazy, isn't it.

Of course, what you're hearing is "expectation bias" because DACs are a solved problem... :xf_rolleyes:

Mar 11, 2024 at 10:07 PM Post #6,989 of 7,100
Crazy, isn't it.

Of course, what you're hearing is "expectation bias" because DACs are a solved problem... :xf_rolleyes:
hahaaha. Yeah , those arguing that they are "all ones and zeroes" tend to be those who can't afford better DACs lol.

Mar 11, 2024 at 10:14 PM Post #6,990 of 7,100
hahaaha. Yeah , those arguing that they are "all ones and zeroes" tend to be those who can't afford better DACs lol.
In my experience, those same people have more expensive dacs. Then they reference reasoning like: longevity and company that stands behind their products. Blah blah. If it was true, they’d all run JDS labs dacs and be done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back