Schiit Gungnir DAC
Jan 28, 2017 at 4:06 AM Post #4,066 of 7,049
HELLO THERE,

Is that the bifrost multibit. i have an idea to upgrade to gunj mb but from mimby but i am not sure if it is going to give me a good sq improvement. any ideas? also how is gunj mb with tube amp sound. thanks

Bimby is indeed the Bifrost Multibit. Regarding the jump from Mimby to Gumby it will definitely be an overall improvement is pretty much everything as it was when I went from Bimby to Gumby.

I use the Schiit Mjolnir 2 with iFi NOS 6922 (tubes) and it is a great combination to my ears. The combination is overall very smooth with buckets of impact and detail. For reference the headphones I use with this combo are the Ether Flows and the Sony Z1R. Hope that helps :D

Jan 29, 2017 at 9:29 PM Post #4,067 of 7,049
Any OPPO HA-1 (SE) owners here? Had one myself but wasn't 100% convinced by it even after burn in and moved it on.

Looking to go down a different route and the Gungnir has caught my eye, mainly as it uses ladder DAC's which my MSB in the main rig also does.

Anyone had both side by side for comparison?

Jan 29, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #4,069 of 7,049
  What would the solution be if I wanted to integrate a volume knob into the chain?

Into what chain? Between what and what?

Love to help, but need more info.

Jan 29, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #4,071 of 7,049

Just between the Gungnir and studio monitors. I hate the idea of software volume control.

Just get the Freya and unleash the awesomeness of your Gungnir and your monitors. Also buy a matching quad RCA 5692 tubes along with your Freya.

Jan 29, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #4,072 of 7,049

Just between the Gungnir and studio monitors. I hate the idea of software volume control.

http://schiit.com/products/sys

Jan 29, 2017 at 10:14 PM Post #4,074 of 7,049

I have the Freya, but I'm not going to suggest it if you only have 1 source and it's the Gungnir, and you're driving balanced XLR input monitors, unless you need the remote control.

Just get a passive XLR/TRS 2 channel in-out volume attenuator.  The pro audio side is full of them, plenty for <$100.

Jan 29, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #4,075 of 7,049
  The Sys isn't an option because I want to keep the entire chain balanced.

The Freya looks interesting—but I don't know if it would be overkill, as my studio monitors are powered.

JBL Nano Patch, $59:

https://www.amazon.com/JBL-NPATCH-BLK-Compact-Controller/dp/B01I3B0OH6/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1485746170&sr=1-1&keywords=jbl+nano+patch

Jan 29, 2017 at 10:33 PM Post #4,077 of 7,049
  The Sys isn't an option because I want to keep the entire chain balanced.

Emotiva makes one (used to make one?) called the Control Freak.

Jan 30, 2017 at 6:20 AM Post #4,078 of 7,049
I second theveterans on this.  First, in a decent system the Freya will NEVER be overkill.  There is no other single chassis in existence with so many useful operating modes, and the price is silly.  Silly as in many people would pay 20x the list price for a Freya and not regret it.  Good-sounding tube pres are worth every penny, they can transform a system.  And there are no remote-controlled, balanced, unity-gain-buffer preamps other than the Freya.  Unobtanium.  EDIT: Okay there are a couple of units with *variable gain* like the Ayre KX5, KXR, and the Mola-Mola Makua, all more than 10x Freya's price...

The alternatives with continuous pots aren't as good, except for a handful that cost more with fewer features (like the Slagle or Pass B1).  And without remote control.

Megalith, try the Freya.  Compare it to anything you can afford; you will keep it.  I say this before having heard the Freya, but believing reviews and trusting Mike.  I have a Saga now but no place to put it yet, won't be too long.  Freya for the big system when the computer's rebuilt. 

Quote:
JBL Nano Patch, $59:

Quote:
Thanks. The first one I clicked on was $491... http://www.goldpt.com/sa1x.html

I have the Freya, but I'm not going to suggest it if you only have 1 source and it's the Gungnir, and you're driving balanced XLR input monitors, unless you need the remote control.  
Just get a passive XLR/TRS 2 channel in-out volume attenuator.  The pro audio side is full of them, plenty for <$100.

Quote:
Just get the Freya and unleash the awesomeness of your Gungnir and your monitors. Also buy a matching quad RCA 5692 tubes along with your Freya.

Jan 30, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #4,079 of 7,049
i use this passive pre-amp: https://luminousaudio.com/collections/axiom-ii-passive-preamp/products/axiom-ii-passive-preamp-xlr.  beautifully built, balanced, and very reasonably priced.

Jan 30, 2017 at 10:42 AM Post #4,080 of 7,049
  Quote:
Quote:

Freya is still overkill if you all you care about is passive attenuation, a single source, and don't need a remote.

Remember, passive stages (Freya or otherwise) don't "improve" sound, they just get out of the way.  They should have no sound signature, per se.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back