Schiit Gungnir DAC
Feb 17, 2017 at 9:01 PM Post #4,096 of 7,080
Roger that, yeah i was aware of the model differences. Dealing with a reputable person... only looking for a gungnir MB ( Gumby) not a gungnir. After starting with a DS dac then going to a multibit dac-19 i can't imagine i'll be getting anything but multibit dacs for the foreseeable future. Thanks for the replies!

Feb 19, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #4,098 of 7,080
  Good, just remember Gungnir is the spear of Odin while Ydrassil is the Tree of life.  Which would you rather listen to?

From everything i have read from people whose opinions i respect regarding comparisons between the Gumby and Yggy i think i will enjoy the Gumby's slightly warmer slightly euphonic tonality a little more. But i won't know until i get a chance to hear them both...for now i think i will be very happy moving to the Gumby from the dac-19.

Feb 20, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #4,100 of 7,080
Im getting a gumby soon to pair with my earmax pro tube amp. cant decide whether intona to usb, straight usb or ddc to coax is best. reports say coax with a good ddc is superior. can someone explain why this might be especially as asynchrous usb means gumby's clock is doing the timing controlling flow of data to computer rather than an external ddc clock? cant understand this. cheers mk does the fact that usb is not galvanically isolated matter if going straight usb from computer.

Feb 20, 2017 at 4:09 PM Post #4,101 of 7,080
  Im getting a gumby soon to pair with my earmax pro tube amp. cant decide whether intona to usb, straight usb or ddc to coax is best. reports say coax with a good ddc is superior. can someone explain why this might be especially as asynchrous usb means gumby's clock is doing the timing controlling flow of data to computer rather than an external ddc clock? cant understand this. cheers mk does the fact that usb is not galvanically isolated matter if going straight usb from computer.

I own Gumby + Earmax Pro, it is super nice! I can't explain why a ddc to coax is better, but I can confirm that I had much better results with combining a Schiit Wyrd with the Sinxer F-1 USB to coax converter into Gumby than with USB directly from my computer.

Feb 20, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #4,102 of 7,080

Because there is more to the USB signal than the voltage level that defines the 0s and 1s.

https://uptoneaudio.com/pages/j-swenson-tech-corner

Feb 21, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #4,103 of 7,080
Gumby arrived this morning, Was just shipped out Saturday...When USPS doesn't suck they are awesome!

Anywho off the the races... 

Gumby. Check
DAC-19. Check

SU-1 to feed them simultaneously? Check ( Gumby via BNC DAC-19 via i2s )

Both dacs feeding C-2 11th AE with HD650 Kiss modded and WA2 (TS 5998/'75 Reflektor/RFT EZ80) with T1 gen 1.

Now wait a few days for Gumby to warm up. (Doesn't sound bad cold out of the box.)

WoooHoooo.

Thanks to Sheldaze for selling me his black Gumby.

Feb 22, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #4,104 of 7,080
Just received my Gungnir multibit this morning. It's been upgraded from a delta-sigma USB version 2 Gungnir.

It's about 6 hours into warming up and I'm really enjoying the sound.

However, there seems to be an issue with switching FLAC files of different bitrates. I use Foobar2000 and have WASAPI (event or push) set to the Schiit DAC as an output. When playing files of 16bit and 44.1khz, it sounds fine (and I do mean fine, this thing sounds great) but if I try to play a file of a higher bitrate - the muting relay clicks and then just stays muted.

With my DS Gungnir, there were times when jumping from 16/44 to 24/192 or 24/96 would mute the audio until I switched back to 16/44 and then back to the higher bitrate - it would work eventually in the few cases that this happened. Now it just mutes and doesn't output audio from anything but 16/44. 

Upon careful listening, I realized that I was hearing the songs playing but very faintly. I turned my amp dial to full and heard a distorted version of the song playing through my headphones, only audible at a volume setting that would otherwise be deafening if playing normally.

I'm connected via USB. Also, if I go to the Windows audio options and make my Gungnir's listing play as anything higher than 16/44, I get the same issue. 

Has anyone encountered this problem before? I tried searching this thread for muting problems, but only came across some that involved CD transports. Once again, I'm using my computer > Wyrd > Gumby via USB.

Feb 22, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #4,105 of 7,080
  Just received my Gungnir multibit this morning. It's been upgraded from a delta-sigma USB version 2 Gungnir.

It's about 6 hours into warming up and I'm really enjoying the sound.

However, there seems to be an issue with switching FLAC files of different bitrates. I use Foobar2000 and have WASAPI (event or push) set to the Schiit DAC as an output. When playing files of 16bit and 44.1khz, it sounds fine (and I do mean fine, this thing sounds great) but if I try to play a file of a higher bitrate - the muting relay clicks and then just stays muted.

With my DS Gungnir, there were times when jumping from 16/44 to 24/192 or 24/96 would mute the audio until I switched back to 16/44 and then back to the higher bitrate - it would work eventually in the few cases that this happened. Now it just mutes and doesn't output audio from anything but 16/44. 

Upon careful listening, I realized that I was hearing the songs playing but very faintly. I turned my amp dial to full and heard a distorted version of the song playing through my headphones, only audible at a volume setting that would otherwise be deafening if playing normally.

I'm connected via USB. Also, if I go to the Windows audio options and make my Gungnir's listing play as anything higher than 16/44, I get the same issue. 

Has anyone encountered this problem before? I tried searching this thread for muting problems, but only came across some that involved CD transports. Once again, I'm using my computer > Wyrd > Gumby via USB.

I've been using a gungnir MB for more than a year now and have never had a problem with sample rate changes.
Edit: My audio chain is Macbook pro > Wyrd > Gumby.

Have you tried power cycling the gungnir or cycling through the inputs?

Do you have any other digital sources (say optical or coax) that will output > 44 KHz? 

Feb 22, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #4,106 of 7,080

I've been using a gungnir MB for more than a year now and have never had a problem with sample rate changes.
Edit: My audio chain is Macbook pro > Wyrd > Gumby.

Have you tried power cycling the gungnir or cycling through the inputs?

Do you have any other digital sources (say optical or coax) that will output > 44 KHz? 

I've tried both and the problem still exists. I also use a laptop so I only have USB available as a source. I've uninstalled and re-installed the Schiit drivers but it didn't help either.

Feb 22, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #4,107 of 7,080

Thanks to Sheldaze for selling me his black Gumby.

That looks so good in black. I can't help but wish Schiit just offered black chassis all the time every time I see one - that's the first Gungnir I've seen that isn't silver, if ever a black gumby + black MJ2 would become available I'd have to consider doing very bad things to get them.

Feb 22, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #4,108 of 7,080
  I've tried both and the problem still exists. I also use a laptop so I only have USB available as a source. I've uninstalled and re-installed the Schiit drivers but it didn't help either.

I'm out of troubleshooting suggestions. The behavior you're seeing definitely does not seem right. I'd send email to info@schiit.com 

Feb 22, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #4,109 of 7,080

That looks so good in black. I can't help but wish Schiit just offered black chassis all the time every time I see one - that's the first Gungnir I've seen that isn't silver, if ever a black gumby + black MJ2 would become available I'd have to consider doing very bad things to get them.

HaHa the guy a bought this from had black gumby and black mj2 at one point in time...there is a pic of it somewhere on this thread i think. They do look nice...funny enough i sort of wanted a silver one when this became available i had to jump on it!

Feb 22, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #4,110 of 7,080

HaHa the guy a bought this from had black gumby and black mj2 at one point in time...there is a pic of it somewhere on this thread i think. They do look nice...funny enough i sort of wanted a silver one when this became available i had to jump on it!

The MJ2 is my favourite amplifier all around probably, I don't even wanna see it in black because then it'd be a life long quest to get one (probably never happen as I'm in Europe and our distributors don't get black chassis units because they're so limited) - I can't even imagine. I'd match everything else, all of my electronics were in black before (computer case, WA7, Pathos Aurium, all my DACs, etc), ever since Schiit kinda took over my stuff I've tried to harmonise this black/silver duality as best I can haha.

Glad you got the black gumby, that'd have been a shame to pass up even though you wanted the silver one!

Users who are viewing this thread

• zexk
Back