Schiit Gungnir DAC
Jan 31, 2017 at 4:23 AM Post #4,081 of 7,080

Freya is still overkill if you all you care about is passive attenuation, a single source, and don't need a remote.

Remember, passive stages (Freya or otherwise) don't "improve" sound, they just get out of the way.  They should have no sound signature, per se.

Yours are good points (as usual), but I have two comments.  First, the single source requirement can increase to several at any time, especially in these days of new media types.  And the cost of the multi-input flexibility in the Freya is not high: a larger chassis, more relays, and more connectors.  Same for remote control, it can suddenly become very handy when the listening space and/or equipment changes.

Second, the buffered output is a big benefit over passive operation.  Sure, most users say passive is *very* close to buffered SQ in the Freya, but nobody calls it better.  Buffering is a truly ideal way to transmit the output from DACs and other line-level sources.  I expect virtually nobody will use passive in the Freya after they've tried the buffered outputs.

Jan 31, 2017 at 7:20 AM Post #4,082 of 7,080

Second, the buffered output is a big benefit over passive operation.  Sure, most users say passive is *very* close to buffered SQ in the Freya, but nobody calls it better.  Buffering is a truly ideal way to transmit the output from DACs and other line-level sources.  I expect virtually nobody will use passive in the Freya after they've tried the buffered outputs.

A) The OP said he wanted passive, not buffered. I don't know why you're trying to push something he didn't ask for.

B) I own the Freya. I prefer passive to buffered when listening to a balanced DAC. 

Feb 1, 2017 at 1:25 AM Post #4,083 of 7,080

A) The OP said he wanted passive, not buffered. I don't know why you're trying to push something he didn't ask for.

B) I own the Freya. I prefer passive to buffered when listening to a balanced DAC. 

Few people have heard buffered stages, most just think passive when they want something really transparent.  So I urged him to look at what Freya offers.  Just curious, what about the passive balanced mode do you like better?  Are your output interconnects fairly short?  Sorry everyone for going OT; I figured the Freya interest would be strong among the Gungnir owners.    

Feb 1, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #4,084 of 7,080

Few people have heard buffered stages, most just think passive when they want something really transparent.  So I urged him to look at what Freya offers.  Just curious, what about the passive balanced mode do you like better?  Are your output interconnects fairly short?  Sorry everyone for going OT; I figured the Freya interest would be strong among the Gungnir owners.    

for me, i don't need freya's functionality since all my inputs are digital (intel nuc and cd player) -- gumby meets my input selector needs.  i find the mjolnir/gumby combination more compelling because of the quality of the mjolnir's headphone amp and the simple preamp/volume control functionality.  i almost sold my stax rig to get a mjolnir, but decided to keep it and go the passive route with my balanced axiom.

Feb 1, 2017 at 8:00 PM Post #4,085 of 7,080

Mike - thanks for the tip.  My JRiver had exclusive mode enabled.  I disabled that feature, and listened tonight for 2-hours with no drop-outs at all.  I also paused the music several times and re-started w/o issue.

I don't know what "exclusive mode" means in JRMC...perhaps others can chime in on that question.

I really hoped that I could continue using the USB feed - and today it looks promising.

Thank you -
RCB

Brief update on my drop-out issue with the USB to GMB connection.  

After using Mike's @Baldr recommendation (disabling the JRMC exclusive mode), the system played two listening sessions (over two days) for about 5-hrs with no drops.  All was great, I was a happy listener.  Then, the music dropped.  Same deal as before - the music just playing along, no changes to bit rate or anything else.  

So, it seems the JRMC exclusive mode was only part of the solution.  Any other ideas from the community?  Thanks in advance.

Next up will be replacing the USB with a toslink cable.

Enjoy your music!
RCB

Feb 2, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #4,086 of 7,080

Brief update on my drop-out issue with the USB to GMB connection.  

After using Mike's @Baldr recommendation (disabling the JRMC exclusive mode), the system played two listening sessions (over two days) for about 5-hrs with no drops.  All was great, I was a happy listener.  Then, the music dropped.  Same deal as before - the music just playing along, no changes to bit rate or anything else.  

So, it seems the JRMC exclusive mode was only part of the solution.  Any other ideas from the community?  Thanks in advance.

Next up will be replacing the USB with a toslink cable.

Enjoy your music!
RCB

can you post some pics of your settings in jriver?  specifically interested in seeing the settings from the audio tab and any dsp settings.

also -- have you tried switching out the usb cable to confirm its not the problem?  stranger things have happened . . .

Feb 3, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #4,087 of 7,080

can you post some pics of your settings in jriver?  specifically interested in seeing the settings from the audio tab and any dsp settings.

also -- have you tried switching out the usb cable to confirm its not the problem?  stranger things have happened . . .

PM of the screen shots sent.  Thanks for your interest to help me!

Last night the USB was dropping again, randomly, so changed back to the AQ Cinnamon toslink cable.  No drops, rock solid (only 2-hrs of data), but the SQ isn't as good as with the Wywires platinum USB cable.  It's still my goal to fix this drop-out issue and use the USB connection if possible!

Cheers,
RCB

Feb 3, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #4,088 of 7,080

No drops, rock solid (only 2-hrs of data), but the SQ isn't as good as with the Wywires platinum USB cable.  It's still my goal to fix this drop-out issue and use the USB connection if possible!

Don't remember if you said you had a Wyrd or something like that to try?

Feb 6, 2017 at 10:09 AM Post #4,089 of 7,080
im hoping to upgrade from a modi multibit to a gunjnir multibit. which would give me best SQ an intona industrial or a usb to spdif convertor on this dac. something like an ifi convertor or an intona industrial similar price. the intona does galvanic islolation something im not sure about with all convertors. many thanks

Also i don't understand this adapticlock function--

with vco and vcxo clocking i am worried that after spending so much on the dac my source might cause the gungnir multibit to utilise vco so i dont get the full potential of the dacs capabilities. what kind of sources trigger vco and if i use tidal hifi flac with a decent usb to spdif convertor can i be sure 100% that the dac will always utilise the superior vcxo clocking.

Feb 7, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #4,090 of 7,080
Hi All, an update on my music dropping issue.

First, no Wyrd or any other USB power hub between the Mac and GMB, just the USB cable.  I tried a Wyrd (a couple years ago), it seemed to work but I got tired of the extra box & wall wart, so sold it and went to toslink.  According to the Mac's USB data, it has plenty of power to run the GMB by itself (if the Mac isn't distracted from this task).

In the last days, made some program changes to JRMC - thanks @jcn3- removed the upsampling, now letting the GMB perform that task, and changed the channel setting to "source."  Testing today w/ the USB connection.

Meanwhile, I acquired an AQ Diamond toslink cable just in case these changes don't work.  I must say, the rig sounds great w/ the Diamond cable - every bit as good as the Wywires Platinum USB.  A big upgrade from the AQ Cinnamon toslink that I was using.  The Diamond and Platinum USB sound similar to my ears.

Thanks all for your help!  Will advise if any new info surfaces.

Cheers,
RCB

Feb 7, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #4,091 of 7,080
  with vco and vcxo clocking i am worried that after spending so much on the dac my source might cause the gungnir multibit to utilise vco so i dont get the full potential of the dacs capabilities. what kind of sources trigger vco and if i use tidal hifi flac with a decent usb to spdif convertor can i be sure 100% that the dac will always utilise the superior vcxo clocking.

In my/our experience the vco is only triggered on really bad sources (CD players with digital outs made in the Jurrasic era, cheap ass satellite boxes, etc.).  The poibt is that these sources are very rare and you will be warned because the "Buy Better Gear" light will illuminate on the Gumby.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Feb 8, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #4,092 of 7,080
if i use a usb to spdif convertor with gimby.......

HI,

Do you know what kind of info shows up on mac audio midi set up with a usb to spdif convertor. ie sample and bit rate and can it be altered in the same way that a dac's settings can. especially for breeze du-u8 covertor but in general for usb to spdif convertors. ive been told for eg some convertors have a fixed sample rate output regardless of sample rate input from usb side from computer. finally how do you know 100% that the convertor is actually inputting a coax signal into the dac as the dac does not show up in settings. or is that an obvious question ie the dac would not output any signal to the amp and you would have no sound if the coax signal was not entering the dac. i am completely new to the usb convertor world. thanks mk.

Feb 17, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #4,093 of 7,080
Forgive me for the possibly silly question that could probably be answered by doing a little homework...i plan on digging through this thread a bit but since i am on a time crunch (have the oppotunity to buy a gumby second hand but need to decide ASAP) i thought i would ask.

Would there be any hardware or software differences between a gumby made in 2015 and one purchased new from schiit now? I didn't think so from my light research on the matter, but wanted to make sure. Finally decided to jump the AGD boat and try out a Gumby... i am looking forward to it, since getting more serious about audio hardware last year i have yet to make it to a meet or get a chance to hear any of the schiit multibit dacs.

Anyway, thanks in advance.

Feb 17, 2017 at 8:49 PM Post #4,094 of 7,080
I don't think so either.  At least none that are significant.  First there was Gungnir, then came Gumby when multiunit DACs were made available for an up charge.  I guess officially these are Gungnir and Gungnir MB.  Those are the only two significant differences.  Schiit may have changed circuitry slightly (unlikely) or parts suppliers for some parts  (more likely) but these would not be considered significant changes.  One of Schiit's economies is trying to do it right the first time.  Another is buying large batches of parts that are used across several models.  This speaks against frequent changes.

To restate the obvious, be careful if you are buying a gungnir which is a very good dac, or a gungnir MB which is an even better Dac.

Feb 17, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #4,095 of 7,080
  Forgive me for the possibly silly question that could probably be answered by doing a little homework...i plan on digging through this thread a bit but since i am on a time crunch (have the oppotunity to buy a gumby second hand but need to decide ASAP) i thought i would ask.

Would there be any hardware or software differences between a gumby made in 2015 and one purchased new from schiit now? I didn't think so from my light research on the matter, but wanted to make sure. Finally decided to jump the AGD boat and try out a Gumby... i am looking forward to it, since getting more serious about audio hardware last year i have yet to make it to a meet or get a chance to hear any of the schiit multibit dacs.

Anyway, thanks in advance.

Theres a huge price difference between the regular gungnir vs. the gunginir multibit. About 50% more...so make sure your getting what your paying for...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back