Schiit Gungnir DAC
Jan 24, 2017 at 6:30 PM Post #4,051 of 7,082
Thanks for your ideas, folks.  I may explore Audirvana+ based on @sheldaze input.  I've not used anything other than JRiver since I started down this path of the high-res music.

I did discover one thing, yesterday when I had a couple of drops.  JRiver did not freeze up as I had earlier thought.  JRiver was fine, it just wouldn't play any music through the Gumby.  It almost seems like the GMB rejects the USB input and stops the music, and then won't start unless I restart JRiver.  I'm still looking for the root cause.

I'm thinking about just going back to the toslink connection (maybe with a better USB cable than the Cinnamon).

All the Best -
RCB

Jan 24, 2017 at 6:52 PM Post #4,052 of 7,082
I've been happy with Audirvana+ and have also used Amara and Fidelio.  The new Apple OS has eliminated the Direct mode I think in all of these,  It doesn't seem to affect the sound but purists being what they are, there is a Sierra workaround that allows Direct mode on the Audirvana+ forum.  Basically it's just reinstalling a El Capitan sound driver which is a little convoluted but there is a good guide on the forum.

Jan 25, 2017 at 8:33 PM Post #4,054 of 7,082
  I should have included my OS info - the MacPro is running El Capitan 10.11.6.

As suggested before, have you tried playing some music with itunes or vlc or spotify...? At least to exclude the hardware issue.

Jan 25, 2017 at 10:34 PM Post #4,055 of 7,082
I'm considering upgrading from a Modi 2 Uber to a Gungnir MB, but one thing that is really annoying is a single button to switch between all the sources.

I only have two sources which I use evenly, optical and usb.  Cycling from optical back to usb is going to take 3 presses of the button.  That doesn't sound like a lot, but it gets annoying fast when I switch between the two sources multiple times a day.

I would love to see an ability to either disable sources, have input sensing, or one button per source on the front.

Jan 26, 2017 at 12:14 AM Post #4,057 of 7,082
I'm considering upgrading from a Modi 2 Uber to a Gungnir MB, but one thing that is really annoying is a single button to switch between all the sources.

I only have two sources which I use evenly, optical and usb.  Cycling from optical back to usb is going to take 3 presses of the button.  That doesn't sound like a lot, but it gets annoying fast when I switch between the two sources multiple times a day.

I would love to see an ability to either disable sources, have input sensing, or one button per source on the front.

Sounds like you value (mild) convenience more than sound quality. May as well save the money and stick with the Modi...

Jan 26, 2017 at 8:27 AM Post #4,059 of 7,082
Sounds like you value (mild) convenience more than sound quality. May as well save the money and stick with the Modi...

That is so unlike an audiophile.  What ever happened to adjusting the VTA, SRA, skate etc on a turntable regularly and then cleaning the record before every play?  Pushing a button is nothing!

Has anyone come out with a bit cleaner/demagnetizer yet?  Then we can follow a similar ritual for digital files.  Clean the bits, press play.

Jan 26, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #4,060 of 7,082
I'd like to get a Gungnir MB to slip into my home two-channel system.  It will take the output of my CD player, and feed that into my integrated amp and my Jotunheim.  Single-ended into the amp, and balanced into the Jot.  The Jot will also take single-ended in from the amp.

My CD player has Toslink (optical) and Coax (RCA) outputs.  Is one hardware format preferred over the other in terms of input to the GMB?

Jan 26, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #4,061 of 7,082
  I'd like to get a Gungnir MB to slip into my home two-channel system.  It will take the output of my CD player, and feed that into my integrated amp and my Jotunheim.  Single-ended into the amp, and balanced into the Jot.  The Jot will also take single-ended in from the amp.

My CD player has Toslink (optical) and Coax (RCA) outputs.  Is one hardware format preferred over the other in terms of input to the GMB?

I don't have the Gumby, but I've always found that coax is superior. YMMV

Jan 26, 2017 at 7:10 PM Post #4,062 of 7,082

Check and see if JR is running in exclusive mode and try changing that.

Mike - thanks for the tip.  My JRiver had exclusive mode enabled.  I disabled that feature, and listened tonight for 2-hours with no drop-outs at all.  I also paused the music several times and re-started w/o issue.

I don't know what "exclusive mode" means in JRMC...perhaps others can chime in on that question.

I really hoped that I could continue using the USB feed - and today it looks promising.

Thank you -
RCB

Jan 27, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #4,063 of 7,082
how does this compare to modimultibit. running through small earmaxpro tube amp.

Jan 27, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #4,064 of 7,082
how does this compare to modimultibit. running through small earmaxpro tube amp.

I can't compair to the modi multibit but I have a Bimby and I can tell you that the sound is cleaner and more energetic with a bigger soundstage, some people say less bass but I actually found there was a tad more and it was certainly more textured but maybe I am weird. I know this is a comparison between a different item but by all accounts the modi multibit is only a little bit behind the Bimby so it should help a bit.

Jan 27, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #4,065 of 7,082
HELLO THERE,

Is that the bifrost multibit. i have an idea to upgrade to gunj mb but from mimby but i am not sure if it is going to give me a good sq improvement. any ideas? also how is gunj mb with tube amp sound. thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back