Schiit Gungnir DAC
Oct 3, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #2,611 of 7,049
I finally turned off my GMB last night when the thunderstorms started rolling in. I got up this morning, plugged everything back in and cued up some tunes. Now I have a clear picture of why Moffet says to let this DAC warm up. Things are just starting to sound right again. I won't be turning this dac off unless absolutely necessary from here on out. 

Oct 3, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #2,612 of 7,049
How long did it take to return to normal? What did it sound like cold?

Oct 3, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #2,613 of 7,049
How long did it take to return to normal? What did it sound like cold?

The sound from a cold start was just a bit thinner and not as dynamic. The wow factor and analogue sound was just not present. But now I'm almost completely back. 
wink.gif

Oct 3, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #2,614 of 7,049

The sound from a cold start was just a bit thinner and not as dynamic. The wow factor and analogue sound was just not present. But now I'm almost completely back. 
wink.gif

I must admit I'm a bit disappointed by the reports that Gumby and Yggy must be powered on for several, if not tens, of hours to reach optimum sound performance.  I can appreciate that many hifi components benefit from some warm-up time, indeed every amplifier I've ever owned has done to some extent, but they don't need hours and hours, certainly not left on 24/7.  I'd imagine this is going to be an inconvenience for a lot of people, including those like myself with slight OCD safety tendencies who don't like to leave their house unoccupied for half the day with all of their electronics left switched on.  What is it exactly about a multibit DAC that requires so much time come to thermal stability?

Oct 3, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #2,615 of 7,049
  I must admit I'm a bit disappointed by the reports that Gumby and Yggy must be powered on for several, if not tens, of hours to reach optimum sound performance.  I can appreciate that many hifi components benefit from some warm-up time, indeed every amplifier I've ever owned has done to some extent, but they don't need hours and hours, certainly not left on 24/7.  I'd imagine this is going to be an inconvenience for a lot of people, including those like myself with slight OCD safety tendencies who don't like to leave their house unoccupied for half the day with all of their electronics left switched on.  What is it exactly about a multibit DAC that requires so much time come to thermal stability?

I really can't explain the science behind that warm process with these Schiit dacs. But I have experienced it several times with yggy at the last two meets in Nashviile. And now first hand with my GMB. 

I'm listing to the same album that I played early this morning almost 12 hours later. Vocals and instruments have a noticeably improved natural quality, particularly with guitar and percussion. 

Oct 3, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #2,616 of 7,049

When you first turn on your refrigerator it takes several hours to reach a stable temperature.
After that it must be left on 24/7 continuously to best preserve the freshness of the contents.
Most people I know leave their refrigerator on overnight and even when they leave the house.

The circuitry of the the Schiit multi-bit DACs (like many others) benefit from thermal stability.
Many hi-fi manufacturers recommend leaving their products on continuously for best performance.

Your refrigerator would most likely use more power and be a higher fire risk than your DAC.

Oct 3, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #2,618 of 7,049
I just figure Schiit Audio is the very antithesis of snake oil, so when they say something needs to be warmed up to sound its best, that must be advice from their own testing of the equipment. I keep mine turned off overnight and turn it on when I get home from work, and the music generally sounds better the longer the Gumby is on. Is that really the case or am I just fooling myself? I don't really care, so I turn it on and off as desired and deal with the consequences. Feel free to make your own decisions. 
wink_face.gif

Oct 3, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #2,619 of 7,049
Personally, when I received my GMB upgrade it sounded great right out of the box, cold.  Then the SQ kind of took a dip after a couple hours. While I was trying to figure that out, I saw posts by Baldr and Ableza that the DAC's should be left hot on AC power all the time.  Not playing music, just powered.
When I tried that the next day, leaving the Gumby on overnight, the SQ was much more consistent.  Exactly like the experience MattTCG just posted up above.
I know - this is new for me too.  I always powered-down all components when I was done listening.  Feels kinda Wyrd leaving it on, but it does sound better.

Oct 4, 2015 at 4:12 AM Post #2,620 of 7,049
Guys, I have a luxury problem.

I've tested the normal Bifrost on my set. It sounded great!

Now I am gonna buy a Schiit dac this week, but I don't know wich one:

Bifrost multi bit, Gungir or Gungnir multibit? I had already decided to buy the Gungnir and upgrade later.

My source for now is the Bluesound Node.

Thanks!

Oct 4, 2015 at 8:12 AM Post #2,621 of 7,049
Guys, I have a luxury problem.

I've tested the normal Bifrost on my set. It sounded great!

Now I am gonna buy a Schiit dac this week, but I don't know wich one:

Bifrost multi bit, Gungir or Gungnir multibit? I had already decided to buy the Gungnir and upgrade later.

My source for now is the Bluesound Node.

Thanks!

We would need a little more information. 

*what headphones do you have or plan to purchase? Or is this for a speaker purchase?

*what amp are you using/planning to buy?

*Is the Gungnir MB in your budget now or would you have to upgrade later?

*what do you mean by "on your set?"

General advice is to get the very best dac you can afford. Ultimately the quality of the music will ALWAYS come down to source.It is the foundation for your system and can be for many years. 

Oct 4, 2015 at 8:23 AM Post #2,622 of 7,049

General advice is to get the very best dac you can afford. Ultimately the quality of the music will ALWAYS come down to source.It is the foundation for your system and can be for many years. 

+1 It will also save you money long-term because you won't be trying to correct DAC deficiencies by trying a variety of down-signal gear.

Oct 4, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #2,623 of 7,049
*what headphones do you have or plan to purchase? Or is this for a speaker purchase? Mainly I use my speakers

*what amp are you using/planning to buy? I use a Yamaha A-S2000

*Is the Gungnir MB in your budget now or would you have to upgrade later? The MB is not in my budget but I cam easely affort one. But how big is the diifference between a MB and delta?

*what do you mean by "on your set?" I ment:
My set. Stupid autocorrection.

Oct 4, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #2,624 of 7,049
*Is the Gungnir MB in your budget now or would you have to upgrade later? The MB is not in my budget but I cam easely affort one. But how big is the diifference between a MB and delta?

Pretty damn huge IMO: more microdetail, better tonality, better sense of space (go go Mike Moffat's Supermegaburrito filter). It also loses the remaining shoutiness from the DS Gungnir but without losing dynamics. This was a huge plus to me. 

If you can swing Gumby, do it. Do not pass go, do not collect $200. Go straight to Gumby. 

Oct 4, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #2,625 of 7,049
Pretty damn huge IMO: more microdetail, better tonality, better sense of space (go go Mike Moffat's Supermegaburrito filter). It also loses the remaining shoutiness from the DS Gungnir but without losing dynamics. This was a huge plus to me. 

If you can swing Gumby, do it. Do not pass go, do not collect $200. Go straight to Gumby. 

I agree with you . I upgraded my DS Gungnir to the Gumby and wow . There is significant improvement across the board

Get the Gumby .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back