Schiit Gungnir DAC
Oct 1, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #2,596 of 7,049

Do you mind sharing your source? I mentioned this to a friend, and neither of us located the tease
tongue.gif

Its within the post Jason made regarding being sick and unable to attend RMAF.

Oct 1, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #2,599 of 7,049
I think an upgrade to the USB Gen 3 would be a good move for the Gumby.  There are issues with the Gen 2.
But, they're right in the middle of the Gungnir MB upgrade.  Seems more likely now for an upgrade to the BiFrost.

Oct 2, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #2,601 of 7,049
This is going to be very interesting.. R2R DAC shootout of Bumby, Theta, and EAD

Oct 2, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #2,603 of 7,049
16 Bit R2R for a low low price.  That's very cool.  

I think it's interesting cause I own two older R2R DACs and one uses an 18-bit chip and the other uses two 20-bit chips. I wonder if the number of bits will matter or if in the end the Schiit filter is what is important? I want to bring the glory back to the Bifrost since all my head time had been consumed by my EAD or Theta. If you really thinks about it though, the Theta DS Progeny is what the Bifrost Uber should have been. $1000 and you get 18-bit R2R and DSP and two transformers. I bought my Bifrost Uber brand new so mine will be worth about $750 + shipping when all is said and done.

I picked up my Progeny A for $276 in a rare eBay auction. If the Bifrost MB can sound anything like the DAC-19 I will be happy. I just think the DAC-19 might have the edge in design since it wasn't designed as a D-S DAC but as a smaller form factor Master 7. According to DAC-19 owners and Theta owners they sound very much alike if not nearly identical in sound (weird cause one is 90s Hifi the other is Chinese R2R hifi). So for $750 will it come anywhere close to DAC-19 territory? I really hope so or an extra $100 could have scooped me a DAC-19

Oct 2, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #2,604 of 7,049
I think it's interesting cause I own two older R2R DACs and one uses an 18-bit chip and the other uses two 20-bit chips. I wonder if the number of bits will matter or if in the end the Schiit filter is what is important? I want to bring the glory back to the Bifrost since all my head time had been consumed by my EAD or Theta. If you really thinks about it though, the Theta DS Progeny is what the Bifrost Uber should have been. $1000 and you get 18-bit R2R and DSP and two transformers. I bought my Bifrost Uber brand new so mine will be worth about $750 + shipping when all is said and done.

I picked up my Progeny A for $276 in a rare eBay auction. If the Bifrost MB can sound anything like the DAC-19 I will be happy. I just think the DAC-19 might have the edge in design since it wasn't designed as a D-S DAC but as a smaller form factor Master 7. According to DAC-19 owners and Theta owners they sound very much alike if not nearly identical in sound (weird cause one is 90s Hifi the other is Chinese R2R hifi). So for $750 will it come anywhere close to DAC-19 territory? I really hope so or an extra $100 could have scooped me a DAC-19

Yeah, I was hoping they'd have gone with 18 bits but that may have been too close in performance to GMB and too much to cram in that small  chassy.  I think these are priced right as entry level and I understand why they went 16 bits.  Most music still is 16 bits but this can handle higher sample rates still.  I have an Yggy and CDs never sounded so good through it.  This can hopefully capture some of that.  Digital filter implementation is likely the more important of the two in this case.

Oct 2, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #2,605 of 7,049
Ha! I just placed an order for a Bimby and Asgard 2 about 5 minutes ago and just now got a shipping notification!

Oct 2, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #2,606 of 7,049
I placed an order for the Gumby today, and it shipped out in about 46 minutes. Impressive. Should have it Tuesday.

Oct 2, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #2,608 of 7,049

Prepare the be impressed. This is an outstanding dac. Just can't get enough of mine. 
beerchug.gif

That's what I'm expecting. I'm upgrading from Uberfrost. I'll probably send that in at some point for MBifrost upgrade, but I'm hearing that it's not in the same league as Gumby. The step up to Gumby is still huge, unlike from Uberfrost to Gungnir DS.

Oct 2, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #2,610 of 7,049
  The Gumby really changed my perception of the importance of the dac in the chain. 

That's what I like to hear. I have no complaints with the Uberfrost, but I'm looking forward to top tier gear and experiences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back