Schiit Gungnir DAC
Sep 28, 2015 at 2:00 AM Post #2,566 of 7,161
  Listenting to it proves it's awfully good so it must be multibit....

You left the smiley off.
wink_face.gif

Sep 28, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #2,568 of 7,161
Got my new (black) Gungnir Multibit connected, and Ho Lee Schiit!!! @baldr is the digital effin' maestro! I can't wait to listen to everything! Got it connected to my two channel system. (Also got a fancy new power amplifier.) Did some listening last night with my special lady, and we teared up from the beauty of it all at one point. It will more than do until I can afford a Yggdrasil.

Sep 28, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #2,569 of 7,161
Got my new (black) Gungnir Multibit connected, and Ho Lee Schiit!!! @baldr is the digital effin' maestro! I can't wait to listen to everything! Got it connected to my two channel system. (Also got a fancy new power amplifier.) Did some listening last night with my special lady, and we teared up from the beauty of it all at one point. It will more than do until I can afford a Yggdrasil.

It certainly conveys the emotions of what you're listening to. There were a lot of drums and high spirits in the Celtic music I was playing when my friend came by. We spoke of raindrops in daylight and dancing in a country meadow. It truly draws you in.

Sep 29, 2015 at 6:41 AM Post #2,571 of 7,161
Look for the Gungnir B-Stockk. Actually it says B/Blk Stock.
The 4th option in the drop down window is Gungnir Black Multibit-A Stock

The black ons are not annodized, but I don't know why you would or wouldn't want that. I just checked and it is still there.

Sep 29, 2015 at 7:25 AM Post #2,572 of 7,161

The black ons are not annodized, but I don't know why you would or wouldn't want that. I just checked and it is still there.

Everything else in my stack is/was/will be black:

1. Cavalli Liquid Carbon (will be)
  2. JDS Labs The Element
  3. Schiit Bifrost Uber w/ USB
  4. Schiit Gungnir Multibit
  5. Schiit Mjolnir (will be)
  6. Schiit Valhalla (was)

It's a color 'thang!

Sep 29, 2015 at 8:02 AM Post #2,573 of 7,161

1. Cavalli Liquid Carbon (will be)
  2. JDS Labs The Element
  3. Schiit Bifrost Uber w/ USB
  4. Schiit Gungnir Multibit
  5. Schiit Mjolnir (will be)
  6. Schiit Valhalla (was)

It's a color 'thang!

I cannot wait to see pictures when the stack is completed with the Cavalli Liquid Carbon and Mjolnir in there. Can you post pictures of the Gungnir, not enough of the black version have been posted and its really sexy that way.

Sep 29, 2015 at 8:27 AM Post #2,574 of 7,161

• Cavalli Liquid Carbon (will be)
  • JDS Labs The Element
  • Schiit Bifrost Uber w/ USB
  • Schiit Gungnir Multibit
  • Schiit Mjolnir (will be)
  • Schiit Valhalla (was)

It's a color 'thang!

I can not wait to see your great black stack of heaping hot schiit sir, I imagine it will be superb to behold.:)

Sep 29, 2015 at 10:16 PM Post #2,576 of 7,161

Why both Mjolnir and Cavalli in your stack?

I know a guy at a recent headphone meet who has both a Cavalli Liquid Crimson and a Schiit Ragnarok. I asked him exactly that question - his answer was basically that the Schiit amp could often sound correct, but sterile relative to the Cavalli. In that respect, I may end up keeping both - I do not know at this point? I'm actually waiting (one more day) for the Mjolnir. It definitely satisfies my need to hear balanced input from the Gungnir and to have a balanced headphone amplifier. I will need to compare using my own ears the Liquid Carbon against the Mjolnir to see if I feel the same sentiments as the guy at the headphone meet.

Sep 30, 2015 at 5:03 AM Post #2,578 of 7,161
Hello everybody,

I have a question that is maybe more general and does not only apply to the Gungnir. I have the following situation: I am using my Gungnir DS in my main loudspeaker rig, feeding Parasound Amps via XLR interconnects. I had a separate headphone rig next to my sofa, Uberfrost + Lyr 2 + HD650. I tried the Lyr 2 with the Gungnir and liked it so much more that I decided to sell the Uberfrost and use the money for the MB upgrade of the Gungnir (still waiting to send it in). Now, the Lyr 2 stands on top of the Gungnir in my main rig, several meters (yards? I am European :) ) away from my preferred listening position. So I bought a headphone extension cord (single ended), but I realized that the extension, although it is pretty high quality, makes the sound dull and less refined. This is for my ears by no means a subtle effect, I was surprised. So the extension cord is not the solution.

My questions:

- Do you think it would make sense to buy a MJ2 (yes, this alone probably makes a whole lot of sense :D ), buy long (15 ft) XLR interconnects, put the MJ2 next to me, connect it with the GMB via the long XLR cables, and use a short good quality balanced cable for the headphones?

- Is it sufficient to use single ended outputs for the Parasound Amps? I don't think the P5 preamp is intrinsically balanced. Or would you recommend to use an XLR splitter? Maybe a Y-splitter? 

How nice it would be if the Gungnir would have 2 balanced outputs. A MJ2 would be still in my budget, but a second GMB is out of question. The cheapest solution of course is to keep the Lyr 2, move the whole Schiit-stack with computer next to my sofa, and use the XLR cables to connect the main rig. So I guess it all comes down to:

- What do you know/think about 15 ft XLR interconnects?

Thank you very much!

Sep 30, 2015 at 8:13 AM Post #2,579 of 7,161

Is someone besides Schiit selling black ones? When I go to the Schiit site I only get two choices, Gungnir and Gungnir Multibit. It sounds like you're getting two extra choices. I'd much prefer to have a black one. My entire stack is black and silver would stick out like a sore thumb. Thanks.

Oops, I went back and found it but it looks like the black Multibits are gone. Thanks again.

Sep 30, 2015 at 8:32 AM Post #2,580 of 7,161
Is someone besides Schiit selling black ones? When I go to the Schiit site I only get two choices, Gungnir and Gungnir Multibit. It sounds like you're getting two extra choices. I'd much prefer to have a black one. My entire stack is black and silver would stick out like a sore thumb. Thanks.

Oops, I went back and found it but it looks like the black Multibits are gone. Thanks again.

http://schiit.com/products/gungnir-bblk

still there for me. Lowest option: Multibit, A-Stock, Black Finish

Users who are viewing this thread

Back