Schiit Gungnir DAC
Oct 4, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #2,626 of 7,049
Anybody feeding the Gumby with the coax output from an Oppo blu-ray player? I'm considering adding a Gumby to my video 2.0 / headphone setup and possibly getting a preamp with two balanced inputs so that I could use balanced outputs from both the Gumby and the Oppo (to get the high-resolution audio from SACD and Blu-ray when I use those discs). 

Oct 4, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #2,627 of 7,049
  Anybody feeding the Gumby with the coax output from an Oppo blu-ray player? I'm considering adding a Gumby to my video 2.0 / headphone setup and possibly getting a preamp with two balanced inputs so that I could use balanced outputs from both the Gumby and the Oppo (to get the high-resolution audio from SACD and Blu-ray when I use those discs). 

I am feeding my Gumby from an Oppo BDP-105. Though I do not know how high the resolution will be from things like DSD or DVD-Audio discs, if that's what you're asking? It'll pass PCM, but it will generally lower the output resolution.

Oct 4, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #2,628 of 7,049
  I am feeding my Gumby from an Oppo BDP-105. Though I do not know how high the resolution will be from things like DSD or DVD-Audio discs, if that's what you're asking? It'll pass PCM, but it will generally lower the output resolution.

Because of licensing, when you pass high resolution audio streams from SACD through the coaxial output, it downsamples to 24-bit, 88.2 khz.

From the manual:

NOTE:
  1. Due to bandwidth limitations, high resolution audio formats such as Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD High Resolution and DTS-HD Master Audio cannot be sent through the coaxial or optical digital audio output. A reduced resolution version of the same audio track will be output instead. To listen to high resolution audio formats in their best quality, please use the HDMI connection if you have a receiver that handles HDMI audio (see page 11) or use the multi-channel analog outputs if you do not (see page 18).
  2. Due to copyright restrictions, SACD audio cannot be sent through the coaxial or optical digital audio output. To listen to SACDs, please use the HDMI or analog audio connections.
  3. Due to copyright restrictions and bandwidth limitations, full resolution audio from DVD-Audio discs cannot be sent through the coaxial or optical digital audio output. To listen to DVDAudio in full resolution, please use the HDMI or analog audio connections.

Have you compared using the Oppo's analog outputs vs. piping the data through coax to the Gumby? I use the 105 mostly for Netflix and regular CDs, but it would be nice to retain the flexibility for other formats. Otherwise, may as well sell the 105D and just get a 103 to use the coaxial output. I've just been so intrigued by what I've read about the Gumby and Yggy...

Oct 4, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #2,629 of 7,049
  I cannot wait to see pictures when the stack is completed with the Cavalli Liquid Carbon and Mjolnir in there. Can you post pictures of the Gungnir, not enough of the black version have been posted and its really sexy that way.

My Uberfrost is on its way back to the factory to become a Bimby. Here is a picture of the Mojo warming up:

And once I took the picture, I found it interesting (to me at least) how common the black/silver/tan is for audio component colors. Here's a picture of what I'm warming up (along with the Mojo) and a larger view of the other colors in the system:

No choice on the purple dongle plugged into the front of the Oppo 
tongue.gif

Oct 4, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #2,630 of 7,049
  Because of licensing, when you pass high resolution audio streams from SACD through the coaxial output, it downsamples to 24-bit, 88.2 khz.

From the manual:

NOTE:
  1. Due to bandwidth limitations, high resolution audio formats such as Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD High Resolution and DTS-HD Master Audio cannot be sent through the coaxial or optical digital audio output. A reduced resolution version of the same audio track will be output instead. To listen to high resolution audio formats in their best quality, please use the HDMI connection if you have a receiver that handles HDMI audio (see page 11) or use the multi-channel analog outputs if you do not (see page 18).
  2. Due to copyright restrictions, SACD audio cannot be sent through the coaxial or optical digital audio output. To listen to SACDs, please use the HDMI or analog audio connections.
  3. Due to copyright restrictions and bandwidth limitations, full resolution audio from DVD-Audio discs cannot be sent through the coaxial or optical digital audio output. To listen to DVDAudio in full resolution, please use the HDMI or analog audio connections.

Have you compared using the Oppo's analog outputs vs. piping the data through coax to the Gumby? I use the 105 mostly for Netflix and regular CDs, but it would be nice to retain the flexibility for other formats. Otherwise, may as well sell the 105D and just get a 103 to use the coaxial output. I've just been so intrigued by what I've read about the Gumby and Yggy...

I really liked the Oppo for about 3-weeks. Then my ears started to get tired of DAC implementation. I've heard other DAC that use D-S and make my ears much less tired, probably the Arcam irDAC is closest in detail retrieval. But for my taste, I really much prefer the DAC implementation in the Gungnir Multibit. The detail retrieval is top notch, but without any glare.

EDIT: And yes, I do still use the analog outputs from the Oppo. It simply plays everything under the Sun. And I have everything under the Sun connected through it, so I cannot get away from using its outputs. I just much prefer the Schiit DAC sound.

Oct 4, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #2,631 of 7,049

+1 It will also save you money long-term because you won't be trying to correct DAC deficiencies by trying a variety of down-signal gear.

I agree.. DAC makes a bigger overall improvement than switching amps or playing around with cables. It is the single most important component for getting the most out of your headphones (as long as you have good power)

Oct 4, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #2,633 of 7,049

From the manual:

NOTE:

1. Due to copyright restrictions and bandwidth limitations, full resolution audio from DVD-Audio discs cannot be sent through the coaxial or optical digital audio output. To listen to DVDAudio in full resolution, please use the HDMI or analog audio connections.

Interesting info about DVD-A. I feed the digital coax output of an Oppo 93 to an Yggy, and have burned 24/192 DVD-A's from flac files purchased on HDTracks, and I get full resolution on playback according to the indicators on the Yggy.

And the Gumby will sound far better to the built-in DAC of any Oppo machine.

Oct 4, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #2,634 of 7,049
Pretty damn huge IMO: more microdetail, better tonality, better sense of space (go go Mike Moffat's Supermegaburrito filter). It also loses the remaining shoutiness from the DS Gungnir but without losing dynamics. This was a huge plus to me. 

If you can swing Gumby, do it. Do not pass go, do not collect $200. Go straight to Gumby. 

Thnaks for your answers. i'll go for the Gumby, although it is €400 than a DS.

Oct 4, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #2,635 of 7,049
You have also avoided having to ship the Gungnir back to get the board updated.  That adds cost, chance of damage, and loss of the kit for some period of time.  If you're going to buy a Gumby it's better do it now.  

I thought about buying the Gungnir DS last November but decided to wait since I was sure there would be a little brother to Yggy.  I'm glad I did it that way and I love my Gumby.

Goforit.

Oct 4, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #2,637 of 7,049
  You have also avoided having to ship the Gungnir back to get the board updated.  That adds cost, chance of damage, and loss of the kit for some period of time.  If you're going to buy a Gumby it's better do it now.  

I thought about buying the Gungnir DS last November but decided to wait since I was sure there would be a little brother to Yggy.  I'm glad I did it that way and I love my Gumby.

Goforit.

Look the DS Gungnir is very good but the MB Gungnir is incredible.

Oct 5, 2015 at 3:01 AM Post #2,638 of 7,049
Look the DS Gungnir is very good but the MB Gungnir is incredible.

Thanks! Here in the Netherlands many people don't have the Gumby yet. So there not much experience about the sound and the improvement.

The Schiit importeur for Europe is nearby my house and I was there last week. It was raining Gungnir Delta Sigmas there. People all over europe send their DS to them to upgrade. It gonna be a busy time for them... :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back