Schiit Gungnir DAC
Oct 5, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #2,641 of 7,049
Hopefully it is - I Can Hardly wait. I am impressed by the DS Gungnir. And so was three of my friends who borrowed it. It was beaten by a 7000 USD DAC - but not by much....

If Gumby is that much better I think I will let them borrow it for a new test.

Oct 5, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #2,642 of 7,049
I ordered a gungnir multibit and a mjolnir 2 with lisst about a week ago.

Received my gungnir on friday, sadly I think it is defective, as the single ended outputs are significantly louder on the left channel. (Tested with asgard 2 amp). I am talking with Schiit tech Nick about it, I think its going to end in a replacement being shipped out.

Anyone else have similar issues?

Tomorrow when the mjolnir shows up I will test the balanced outputs as well, but I want all the output to function as they should.

Oct 5, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #2,643 of 7,049

Received my gungnir on friday, sadly I think it is defective, as the single ended outputs are significantly louder on the left channel. (Tested with asgard 2 amp). I am talking with Schiit tech Nick about it, I think its going to end in a replacement being shipped out.

Tomorrow when the mjolnir shows up I will test the balanced outputs as well, but I want all the output to function as they should.

Schiit happens. I have no doubt Nick will handle the problem in a professional manner.

Oct 5, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #2,645 of 7,049

Keep in mind that most recording actually have vocals mixed slightly to the left:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/501948/stereo-imaging-vocals-towards-left-side/15#post_11864217

So that's what you are hearing, it may be normal. 

Oct 5, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #2,646 of 7,049
Keep in mind that most recording actually have vocals mixed slightly to the left:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/501948/stereo-imaging-vocals-towards-left-side/15#post_11864217

So that's what you are hearing, it may be normal. 

I tested with a bunch of different tracks. When I switched back to the bifrost they sounded fine. My theory is that a board is loose inside from shipping, or a chip is bad.... it's not simply lower volume. It's like certain frequencies are missing, but it just sounds really quiet overall (right channel). But I'm not willing to open and diagnose myself. I'd rather just cross ship a new one.

Oct 5, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #2,647 of 7,049
I tested with a bunch of different tracks. When I switched back to the bifrost they sounded fine. My theory is that a board is loose inside from shipping, or a chip is bad.... it's not simply lower volume. It's like certain frequencies are missing, but it just sounds really quiet overall (right channel). But I'm not willing to open and diagnose myself. I'd rather just cross ship a new one.

Yeah, sounds like a defect then in that case unfortunately. 

Oct 6, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #2,649 of 7,049
  Does Gumby remember the last input when powered off? or what input does it default to?  My intended use would be BNC.

(Not my intention to power it off often, but storms happen.)

Seems to. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back