Schiit Gungnir DAC
Mar 3, 2022 at 7:22 AM Post #6,482 of 7,050
A nice Head-fier sold his Gungnir delta-sigma to me so now I have both versions of Gungnir in my living room system. Time for some extended comparisons to see if I like one more than the other.
Findings?

Mar 3, 2022 at 9:57 PM Post #6,483 of 7,050
Findings?
Nothing solid yet. Since I received my second Gungnir, I've had a pair of head phones and now a DAC/amp in my house for audition. I'll be able to listen to my own gear again next week sometime.

Mar 4, 2022 at 11:14 AM Post #6,484 of 7,050
Ordered a black Gungnir about a couple of weeks ago :L3000: went back to the website and noticed the shipping estimate for new orders slip to 10-12 weeks. Still rocking with my Bifrost 2 so don't mind the wait even if the 6-8 week estimate slips, I'll get it when I get it. Out of curiosity did a google search for the AD5781BRUZ chip and it seems some suppliers are reporting 16+ week lead times, and that's just one piece of the pie. Probably shouldn't speculate, for all I know, I am completely wrong. Too bad I'm not interested in silver or Gen 5 USB, those seem to be popping up on the used market lately.

edit: and literally right after I typed this it went back to 6-8 week estimate again. Someone is watching me...

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2022 at 12:12 PM Post #6,485 of 7,050
The estimate that counts is the one on the date of purchase. Anything less is welcome of course, but it shouldn't take longer than that.

Mar 5, 2022 at 5:13 PM Post #6,486 of 7,050
Hello,
i have a question. I would be interested in the Gungnir Dac (delta-sigma) but at first i want to know if the DAC is rather on the warm side which i would welcome.
Otherwise could you guys recommend me a DAC in the 700$ range which is a bit on the warmer side?

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2022 at 9:16 PM Post #6,487 of 7,050
Hello,
i have a question. I would be interested in the Gungnir Dac (delta-sigma) but at first i want to know if the DAC is rather on the warm side which i would welcome.
Otherwise could you guys recommend me a DAC in the 700$ range which is a bit on the warmer side?
I had a D/S gungnir for about 6 years. One of the first manufactured actually. If you’re looking for a warm DAC, that’s not it… I’d be looking at a Bifrost 2 if that’s more you’re style

Mar 6, 2022 at 8:50 AM Post #6,488 of 7,050
Hello,

I had a D/S gungnir for about 6 years. One of the first manufactured actually. If you’re looking for a warm DAC, that’s not it… I’d be looking at a Bifrost 2 if that’s more you’re style

A slightly different opinion: If Schiit DACs were head phones, I would describe the Bifrost I (I haven't heard the Bifrost 2) as V-shaped and the Gungnir as more neutral. When I bought my Gungnir I was initially surprised to hear less bass than what I hear from my Bifrost I. After a while though, I decided Gungnir extends just as deep, and bass is well balanced with the rest of the frequency spectrum, it's just not as in-your-face as Bifrost's sound.

Of course, that may have changed since with Bifrost 2...

I also find the Gungir to be smoother/ less grainy than Bifrost I. A more refined sound. Gungnir is good enough I don't wish I had an Yggdrasil. Bifrost is good enough I haven't sold it even though I have Gungnir.

Mar 6, 2022 at 10:50 AM Post #6,489 of 7,050
A slightly different opinion: If Schiit DACs were head phones, I would describe the Bifrost I (I haven't heard the Bifrost 2) as V-shaped and the Gungnir as more neutral. When I bought my Gungnir I was initially surprised to hear less bass than what I hear from my Bifrost I. After a while though, I decided Gungnir extends just as deep, and bass is well balanced with the rest of the frequency spectrum, it's just not as in-your-face as Bifrost's sound.

Of course, that may have changed since with Bifrost 2...

I also find the Gungir to be smoother/ less grainy than Bifrost I. A more refined sound. Gungnir is good enough I don't wish I had an Yggdrasil. Bifrost is good enough I haven't sold it even though I have Gungnir.
I had the original bifrost 1 as well. You’re correct that it had more perceived bass than the gungnir, although the latter was a huge step up in resolution, detail, and presentation. I always found the gungnir to be very lean in the bass which frustrated me quite a bit with LCD-3s. I’ve never heard the gumby so I can’t comment on that, but the original question was about the d/s and I can confirm with certainty that the bifrost 2 is warmer, bassier, and (to my ears) much much better overall.

Mar 6, 2022 at 4:14 PM Post #6,490 of 7,050
I had the original bifrost 1 as well. You’re correct that it had more perceived bass than the gungnir, although the latter was a huge step up in resolution, detail, and presentation. I always found the gungnir to be very lean in the bass which frustrated me quite a bit with LCD-3s. I’ve never heard the gumby so I can’t comment on that, but the original question was about the d/s and I can confirm with certainty that the bifrost 2 is warmer, bassier, and (to my ears) much much better overall.
This was my initial reaction when I received my Gungnir delta-sigma. However, the more I listened to it the more I heard the bass so it frustrated me less. I agree, though, Bifrost I (mine is a multi-bit) has more <boom!> than Gungnir.

A bit more (likely redundant for those following this thread): I bought my Bifrost I multi-bit as a close-out when Schiit was introducing "2". I was stunned and pleased by how much it improved the bass and overall power of what was my only head phone system at the time. Then I was using me DAC (analog out) -> Mjolnir I -> HE-500. I thought I was missing "that planar bass" and was frustrated. Five minutes after adding Bifrost, frustration disappeared. It reappeared for a while when I added Gungnir (initially to see if climbing the Schiit DAC ladder would add anything important to me), but as I said, the more I listened to the Gungnir, the more I heard its bass and appreciated its detail and refinement.

Mar 13, 2022 at 4:56 AM Post #6,491 of 7,050
The only detail that's keeping me from deciding between the BF2 and the Gungnir...is wither or not I want to go all balanced or not.
I've been told the BF2 sounds it's best via RCA. Currently using the Freya + with active speakers....which are also truly balanced.

Mar 13, 2022 at 9:39 AM Post #6,492 of 7,050
The only detail that's keeping me from deciding between the BF2 and the Gungnir...is wither or not I want to go all balanced or not.
I've been told the BF2 sounds it's best via RCA. Currently using the Freya + with active speakers....which are also truly balanced.
Not sure who told you that but me personally would disagree. Tonally, there's really no difference in SQ between balanced and unbalanced in the BF2. The only difference that I was able to hear when I had the BF2 was a slight difference in the stage and imaging. Balanced seemed just a tad bit deeper and wider. Miniscule at best.
The biggest difference is just output between the two.

Mar 23, 2022 at 1:32 PM Post #6,494 of 7,050
So, I've read a good bit of this thread and learnt a lot ...but it's over 400 pages long and there's something I haven't been able to find: difference in sound over USB between Gung MB "B generation" and "C generation" (I'm assuming the models with SN starting with C feature Unison).

I ask this because I've heard the praises of Unison sung on the BF2. I'm looking at two DACs, a BF2, and a "gen B" Gung MB. Both pretty much the same money. If I was willing to wait/spend more, would the Unison version of the Gung MB be worth holding out for? Or have a made a grave error in assuming that a gen B Gung MB doesn't have Unison in the first place?

Mar 23, 2022 at 3:06 PM Post #6,495 of 7,050
So, I've read a good bit of this thread and learnt a lot ...but it's over 400 pages long and there's something I haven't been able to find: difference in sound over USB between Gung MB "B generation" and "C generation" (I'm assuming the models with SN starting with C feature Unison).

I ask this because I've heard the praises of Unison sung on the BF2. I'm looking at two DACs, a BF2, and a "gen B" Gung MB. Both pretty much the same money. If I was willing to wait/spend more, would the Unison version of the Gung MB be worth holding out for? Or have a made a grave error in assuming that a gen B Gung MB doesn't have Unison in the first place?

It should be fairly obvious if a Gungnir has the Unison upgrade, either via the sticker on the back or if the seller knows it had the upgrade done. It's not trivial. Officially, I believe any Gungnir (whether A1/A2 or the D/S version) can get Unison USB, much like the original Bifrost. Based on your location there's a good reason to hold out - Gungnir requires a firmware update to be compatible with Unison that can only be done at the factory. I wonder if Electromod can do it? It's listed on the Schiit website as being one of those places where the update can be done, but, well... However having to be without your DAC for a while to get the upgrade might be worth thinking about. FWIW the Gungnir MB sounds like the better deal overall, if we're talking BF2 price to go without Unison while still having the A2 boards it'd probably be worth it to me, and I use USB 98% of the time for listening to music.

I can't comment directly on Gungnir's performance w/USB - I actually ended up cancelling my Gungnir order and got a Directstream Jr. instead. However, yes, the Unison is indeed quite awesome with Bifrost 2. It also just works in Windows 10 - not something I can say quite as emphatically about the PS Audio unit. I still slightly prefer Coax over Unison on the BF2 but it's really close. I imagine I'd feel the same way if I stuck with a Gungnir.

Users who are viewing this thread

• zexk
Back