Schiit Gungnir DAC
Jan 29, 2020 at 3:55 PM Post #5,971 of 7,049
Hi, has anyone compared the new Gungnir Multibit with the Unison board to the previous gen 5? If yes, could you give impressions?
The million dollar question.:wink:

Jan 30, 2020 at 8:59 PM Post #5,973 of 7,049
Virtually no one will ever be able to do a proper comparison unless they have two Gumby's side by side with a Gen 5 and Unison usb already warmed up. This requires you to send your unit in for a firmware upgrade, by the time you get your unit back you will have long forgotten the nuances in the music and our memory of sounds fades almost as fast as notes decay. I bet the reviews will sound like this. "Wow, blacker background and more transparent with better air. It's like the notes appear and disappear from nowhere. blah blah blah." Basically don't get your hopes up to high, Gen 5 is already great and this is USB after-all not a new dac.

Jan 31, 2020 at 1:23 AM Post #5,974 of 7,049
Virtually no one will ever be able to do a proper comparison unless they have two Gumby's side by side with a Gen 5 and Unison usb already warmed up. This requires you to send your unit in for a firmware upgrade, by the time you get your unit back you will have long forgotten the nuances in the music and our memory of sounds fades almost as fast as notes decay. I bet the reviews will sound like this. "Wow, blacker background and more transparent with better air. It's like the notes appear and disappear from nowhere. blah blah blah." Basically don't get your hopes up to high, Gen 5 is already great and this is USB after-all not a new dac.
When I send mine in, I’ll still have an Eitr, so I can compare gen 5->spdif to unison in A/B

Jan 31, 2020 at 7:07 AM Post #5,975 of 7,049
Hi, has anyone compared the new Gungnir Multibit with the Unison board to the previous gen 5? If yes, could you give impressions?
I compared Bitfrost 2 with Unison vs Gungnir without Unison. To me Gungnir had an advantage (but small). I realized that I hate the sound of delta-sigma DACs (previously compared Modi vs ADI and with a lot of difficulty picked Modi which I had for a year), build-in multi-bit DAC is ok, Bitfrost 2 is really good and Gungnir is even better.

Yesterday, I got new Gungnir with Unison.

I wanted to wait for Unison - because why not? But my assumption was that Unison does not really matter (at least when I feed USB from iPhone) since Gungnir without Unison to me sounded better than Bitfrost 2 with Unison. But that just me, highly subjective personal opinion and extrapolation since I was comparing Bitfrost 2 vs Gungnir.

Feb 18, 2020 at 5:24 PM Post #5,978 of 7,049
My Gumby (A1) is back at the mothership for the upgrade. I skipped Gen 5 and waited for Unison.

Has anyone actually gotten their Gumby Unison back from the upgrade yet?
Nice! I still have an OG Gumby(A1) with an Eitr, and plan to do the Unison. I am looking forward to getting rid of my Eitr (Gen 5). I can't wait to hear your impressions, once you get yours back.

Feb 19, 2020 at 5:05 AM Post #5,980 of 7,049
I've been using Eitr for awhile as well. It will be interesting to compare.
Please keep me posted on your findings. Thanks!

Feb 21, 2020 at 8:11 PM Post #5,983 of 7,049
I just got one of these [A2, Gen5 usb] and am really impressed! Coming from an RME ADI-2 Pro. Both are awesome, but the Gumby just feels...fuller. Not sure if that makes sense, but that's my initial impressions after letting it warm up for 2 hours and about an hour of listening. I also have an Eitr otw. Think that the Eitr would sound better than just Gen5 usb alone? Obviously thinking about unison too. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2020 at 10:04 PM Post #5,984 of 7,049
I just got one of these [A2, Gen5 usb] and am really impressed! Coming from an RME ADI-2 Pro. Both are awesome, but the Gumby just feels...fuller. Not sure if that makes sense, but that's my initial impressions after letting it warm up for 2 hours and about an hour of listening. I also have an Eitr otw. Think that the Eitr would sound better than just Gen5 usb alone? Obviously thinking about unison too. :thumbsup:

Skip Eitr, go with Unison. To my experience, Unison has better focus in instrument placement than coax

Feb 22, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #5,985 of 7,049
... I also have an Eitr otw. Think that the Eitr would sound better than just Gen5 usb alone? Obviously thinking about unison too. :thumbsup:

I've not got around to upgrading my Gungnir MB to Unison, but have spent some effort improving what an EITR fed system can produce. The 5v v-Bus (apparently) is not totally isolated in EITR and I (and others) have found that by isolating the USB v-Bus and injecting the 5v directly from a clean LPS noticeably improves overall SQ, including imaging. Since you have an EITR en-route, I thought it worth mentioning ... otherwise, Unison is probably the way to go from what I'm hearing. It's easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back