Schiit Gungnir DAC
Oct 4, 2019 at 10:21 PM Post #5,957 of 7,049
Oct 4, 2019 at 11:34 PM Post #5,958 of 7,049
Parasound have a lot of virtues but it's not my favorite sounding amp. I have the original A52.
Yes I edited my post after I came across an honest review, glad safe&sound doesn't ship to my location :L3000:

Oct 5, 2019 at 10:36 AM Post #5,959 of 7,049
Yes I edited my post after I came across an honest review, glad safe&sound doesn't ship to my location :L3000:
One of my favorite amps was a Belles. I sold it for a coupla reasons chief being that, in my old house, the only way to get rid of a hum was to use balance cables throughout.

Used prices aren't too bad. Very warm sound. Even my casual-listener wife noticed how different and pleasing it sounded.

Oct 5, 2019 at 1:09 PM Post #5,960 of 7,049
One of my favorite amps was a Belles. I sold it for a coupla reasons chief being that, in my old house, the only way to get rid of a hum was to use balance cables throughout.

Used prices aren't too bad. Very warm sound. Even my casual-listener wife noticed how different and pleasing it sounded.
I need balanced in my system as well, all I can access is the XLR pass-through from my Liquid Lightning. I thought hard about a Rag2, it would've been nice to have the additional high-powered dynamic headamp, but in the end all I wanted was a speaker amp not even a volume control. Schiit's shipping rate is also pretty rough to my location for that item. I like the looks of the Marantz MM7025, but finally I fell for the specs and reputation (hopefully deserved) of the NAD C268. It hits my sweet spot power-wise, and has some nice features on the back as far as trim & trigger level controls. Plus free shipping from Crutchfield, and a 2-year warranty.
:)

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2019 at 1:29 PM Post #5,961 of 7,049
I need balanced in my system as well, all I can access is the XLR pass-through from my Liquid Lightning. ...
:)

Nice, NAD makes some good stuff. I've been trying hard to justify some Ayre electronics for myself but haven't quite yet :wink:

Oct 30, 2019 at 12:14 AM Post #5,962 of 7,049
Do we have even a coarse time hack for when this BOM change occurred? Just a curiosity, since my GMB (2016 rebuild, B prefix SN) elicits no complaints at all.

Yes, sometime around September 2017.

Gumby never had official revision. However with new components, listener experienced some change in sound signature and hence this revA2 came in pic. So it’s unoffcial revision. I guess if you check the back panel of your DAC, it will have serial number. If it starts with “A” then you have A1 else A2.
But again as far as schiit is concerned there is no A1and A2 for Gumby.

Not entirely accurate. I purchased a Gumby in Sept 2017 new directly from Schiit and it's NOT a B-serial, (actually starts with 0) but it does have the A2 board. When I heard about the A2 revision in 2018 I decided to open it up and sure enough it's A2. Other members have already mentioned in this thread if you go back to 2018 when people began to notice the revision; some units purchased around fall/winter of 2017 came with A2 boards and do not have a B-serial. The only way to know for sure is to open and check.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2019 at 4:05 AM Post #5,963 of 7,049
The rca spdif input led of my 5 years old Gumby stops working.
All others input leds work but they are more intense.
The other led work fine.
I have changed the led but I find out that the checked new led does not light and that the old one work fine when tested.
So I really can not understand what it is happened. Maybe the input chip!
The dac works perfectly also without the led enlightened.

Dec 15, 2019 at 8:57 AM Post #5,964 of 7,049
Hi, I am assembling a new rig in january but am hesistating what dac to get. I was thinking about the bifrost 2 but then I also saw the gungnir. I would wait for the unison upgrade. I cant test them beforehand. Would the gungnir with unison be a better choice then the bifrost 2?
Thanks in advance for any info,
Greetings, Anouk,

Jan 8, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #5,965 of 7,049
Hi, I am assembling a new rig in january but am hesistating what dac to get. I was thinking about the bifrost 2 but then I also saw the gungnir. I would wait for the unison upgrade. I cant test them beforehand. Would the gungnir with unison be a better choice then the bifrost 2?
Thanks in advance for any info,
Greetings, Anouk,
I'm in the same boat. Saying what would be a better choice for you would always be difficult, but since you are comparing one device you haven't heard with another that doesn't exist commercially yet, it's pretty hopeless.

Jason Stoddard has said on another thread that he prefers Bifrost 2 over the other currently available DACs. It is a different topology, and is the only one with Unison USB. I have read other comparisons on the internet (so it's true!) of listeners preferring the new Bifrost to Gungnir. We have been told that Unison will be offered for the two more expensive DACs, but we don't know if there will be other changes. I have always thought that Schiit's higher priced offerings have had tangible justifications for the higher prices, so I'm really interested to see what they will do with the Gungnir in particular. If I had to choose a DAC today it would be the Bifrost, but I'm going to hold off for a bit. Fortunately, I am close enough to the Schiitr that I should be able to compare before buying.

Jan 8, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #5,966 of 7,049
I own a Bifrost 2 and a fairly new Gungnir and I prefer the Gungnir to the Yggdrasil but I have a hard time saying I like the Bifrost better than the Gungnir. It is very different sounding, and I like it more with some music and the Gungnir more with other songs. I am using the Bifrost with a Lyr 3 and the Gungnir with the Mjolnir so I need to A/B them more with the same amps to do a more serious comparison.

Jan 24, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #5,967 of 7,049
Hello everyone,

I searched this thread and nothing came up for Still Points! So, I thought I’d share: I put a set of my Still Points under my Gungnir with little expectation. I’m happy to report that the effect was rather remarkable, the images came into sharp focus and the overall presentation became both more liquid and dynamic! These dacs definitely benefit from decoupling and resonance control! Give it a try, you won’t be disappointed!

Jan 28, 2020 at 9:24 PM Post #5,968 of 7,049
... So, I thought I’d share: I put a set of my Still Points under my Gungnir ...
What was the Gungnir resting on before the Still Points? The floor, a shelf? Bedrock :wink:?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back