Schiit Gungnir DAC
Oct 1, 2019 at 7:06 PM Post #5,941 of 7,049
I'm confused (easily done I admit). I thought the Gumby's slight revision change was due to the unavailability of a couple components that were not in the listening path. Not like the Yggy Analog2 upgrade. Can someone set me straight? My Gumby was purchased in January of 2017 and does not have a letter (A/B) associated with the serial number. How can I discern what revision it is?
Gumby never had official revision. However with new components, listener experienced some change in sound signature and hence this revA2 came in pic. So it’s unoffcial revision. I guess if you check the back panel of your DAC, it will have serial number. If it starts with “A” then you have A1 else A2.
But again as far as schiit is concerned there is no A1and A2 for Gumby.

Oct 2, 2019 at 4:05 PM Post #5,943 of 7,049
Gumby never had official revision. However with new components, listener experienced some change in sound signature and hence this revA2 came in pic. So it’s unoffcial revision. I guess if you check the back panel of your DAC, it will have serial number. If it starts with “A” then you have A1 else A2.
But again as far as schiit is concerned there is no A1and A2 for Gumby.

Do we have even a coarse time hack for when this BOM change occurred? Just a curiosity, since my GMB (2016 rebuild, B prefix SN) elicits no complaints at all.

Hearsay has it that GMB and Yggdrasil basically swapped signatures, warmer to cooler in the case of the running change to GMB, cooler to warmer WRT Yggdrasil A1 to A2.

I wouldn't know, and might not even perceive the differences.

Oct 3, 2019 at 6:23 PM Post #5,944 of 7,049
I've got an A1 and am in a holding patter as far as upgrading it or what. Because of the differences, I'm leaning toward not upgrading the unit I have; perhaps I will re-purpose it with an old receiver, or sell it. Then to either get a new Gungnir A2 Multibit, or move up to a Yggdrasil or even something else. I have to say that I'm not a fan of unofficial upgrades that you can't upgrade to, in a supposedly upgradable component. It's a dilemma I didn't expect to have when I bought my Gungnir.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2019 at 7:23 PM Post #5,945 of 7,049
I've got an A1 and am in a holding patter as far as upgrading it or what. Because of the differences, I'm leaning toward not upgrading the unit I have; perhaps I will re-purpose it with an old receiver, or sell it. Then to either get a new Gungnir A2 Multibit, or move up to a Yggdrasil or even something else. I have to say that I'm not a fan of unofficial upgrades that you can't upgrade to, in a supposedly upgradable component. It's a dilemma I didn't expect to have when I bought my Gungnir.
A2 shouldn't be considered an "upgrade", more of an update (possibly for production/manufacturing reasons). There are photos comparing the A1/A2 circuit boards and they are nearly identical and clearly not a redesign as Yggdrasil received. Some on the other forum prefer the sound of the A1 version and sought it out when purchasing (used). The bottom line is, are you dissatisfied with the sound of your current Gungnir?

Oct 3, 2019 at 7:34 PM Post #5,946 of 7,049
There is no Gungnir A2 upgrade. The only available upgrades for Gungnir are multibit if you own a delta-sigma version, and the Gen 5 USB input card.

Oct 3, 2019 at 7:38 PM Post #5,947 of 7,049
A2 shouldn't be considered an "upgrade", more of an update (possibly for production/manufacturing reasons). There are photos comparing the A1/A2 circuit boards and they are nearly identical and clearly not a redesign as Yggdrasil received. Some on the other forum prefer the sound of the A1 version and sought it out when purchasing (used). The bottom line is, are you dissatisfied with the sound of your current Gungnir?
No, I've always liked the sound of my Gungnir. As an early adopter I remember when it was discussed as hitting way above its weight. But the world of DACs has moved on since then, and in my particular system it's the sources that have the most room for improvement. The one seeming consensus on this thread and others that have to do with Schiit's DACs is that the Multibit upgrade is totally worth it across the board. Unfortunately I don't have the benefit of trying an A1, or A2 Gumby or either Yggdrasil before I buy or upgrade. I am starting to travel a bit, but it's for medical reasons and I'm not up to a meet yet. I'll probably end up with a Yggdrasil.

Oct 3, 2019 at 7:42 PM Post #5,948 of 7,049
No, I've always liked the sound of my Gungnir. As an early adopter I remember when it was discussed as hitting way above its weight. But the world of DACs has moved on since then, and in my particular system it's the sources that have the most room for improvement. The one seeming consensus on this thread and others that have to do with Schiit's DACs is that the Multibit upgrade is totally worth it across the board. Unfortunately I don't have the benefit of trying an A1, or A2 Gumby or either Yggdrasil before I buy or upgrade. I am starting to travel a bit, but it's for medical reasons and I'm not up to a meet yet. I'll probably end up with a Yggdrasil.
I would say that if you have assembled your system around A1then don’t fret. I’m quite sure that you are not missing out on anything.In used market there are many who look out for A1

Oct 3, 2019 at 8:10 PM Post #5,949 of 7,049
I would say that if you have assembled your system around A1then don’t fret. I’m quite sure that you are not missing out on anything.In used market there are many who look out for A1
Thanks. I guess I have the upgrade bug. It certainly sounds like it's worth upgrading the unit I have to MB. I'm in no hurry, but if I'm going to do it it should probably be done in the near future.

Oct 4, 2019 at 10:00 AM Post #5,950 of 7,049
It certainly sounds like it's worth upgrading the unit I have to MB.
I upgraded my Gungnir D/S to the MB technology. It was a game-changer for the SQ of my rig. Highly recommended.
And, if you use USB, the Gen5 is much better than the old (Gen2?) USB. Better SQ and stability.
But ... Unison is coming :)

Oct 4, 2019 at 10:18 AM Post #5,951 of 7,049
Like me. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Oct 4, 2019 at 12:50 PM Post #5,952 of 7,049
Thanks. I guess I have the upgrade bug. It certainly sounds like it's worth upgrading the unit I have to MB. I'm in no hurry, but if I'm going to do it it should probably be done in the near future.

Definitely MB when you can. Versus the DS Bifrost I have there's definitely a more realistic presentation via MB.

The other place to look to upgrade is amps. I've found that amps can lose some details from the source making things sound more artificial. In a way like a poorly encoded MP3 versus CD.

Oct 4, 2019 at 12:53 PM Post #5,953 of 7,049
Unison is coming :)
"Bifrost 2 introduces our all-new Unison USB, our own USB input based on a general-purpose PIC32 microprocessor, using precision local clocks and complete electromagnetic and electrostatic isolation. No more off-the-shelf USB for us—this unique, UAC2-compliant input provides the highest performance and lowest power draw of any USB input we’ve offered to date."

I sounds like it will be worth the wait. Any news on when this might be available for Gungnir?

The other place to look to upgrade is amps. I've found that amps can lose some details from the source making things sound more artificial.
I agree, but I feel like I have the amps covered for now. Except for a speaker amp I have my eye on :wink:

Oct 4, 2019 at 12:57 PM Post #5,954 of 7,049
I agree, but I feel like I have the amps covered for now. Except for a speaker amp I have my eye on :wink:

Do tell! I have upgraded Odyssey monos and a Vidar for subwoofers. Aegir monos would be an interesting up/side-grade but then I'd have to sell the Odysseys but I'm not up for that. I have a bunch of stuff slated for eBay but no motivation...

Oct 4, 2019 at 1:25 PM Post #5,955 of 7,049
Do tell! I have upgraded Odyssey monos and a Vidar for subwoofers. Aegir monos would be an interesting up/side-grade but then I'd have to sell the Odysseys but I'm not up for that. I have a bunch of stuff slated for eBay but no motivation...
I know the feeling. I'm not going for anything that esoteric, but this little guy would be a perfect upgrade for the Alesis that is powering my vintage (1940's/50's) Lansing (of Altec and JBL) speakers.
https://www.safeandsoundhq.com/products/parasound-halo-a23-2-channel-power-amplifier :triportsad:

edit: never mind, just read purr1n's review and evidently that amp would be a terrible choice.
Now looking at the Ragnarok II, then I would also have the option to drive more demanding dynamic cans than my WA22 can satisfy.

Here's one of the speakers. They're not quite Klipschorns but they're massive, and quite efficient.
sllet7q7XH-CrvL_s1BFWc_BdoiwJ5xv9aIe51_GnYBsyP0CfntiVCH92IVavODuVFL0zxmItpYOUJyct86_hi3k6mzLS3d909EISiXI9AzHCsEdLOwhK5_R2tYgfkbRI1amTt0HNQ9pfdnpaWN6eTZfh9OjvMd5MElOzWXCEYPfJe5VyLAIxQ9TMV4tk-PIeWlcma6Sd41Lau4piYEsmtFBSV_GSvpowTeNGVfjTU5PXWarY9_V6pfp9e92qrJl6L5jKzP7po1seJDWOX1o7u-QZY8w5LrLuieS3TXUw5iPHJ9rhP2FaQ2JZfeWI0FimntN9GooWvsibBedb2Fva9PgNHnwXMwdgbnGaAaZjm4EqbpCBGVVj1_la_KEY1fhYN7m5Nieo4xdghleclL0j7-TjRsAbuHF7MXIF7t8RlLdymAE58IJpIdeQf4ciZh2_eAyyJGLlGPXSpq4CE0hAGCm0nMfY_lC7S4n0NF_p02QPsTa3YJn_sB3B-j0BelSJ9hTqCaT26CThqf_f2oxCczzF4LhEKlKZBhJLEt_FB6IR4STjpE3pPyQKQMlXwicq-Oqa1F0WT95FIVJGutNyTfHYqR5KCPTcRNr4Xak3CxdaYgpdFcVFqn3jY0LQI4ZU9H5jnNpuY4DdLCucHTF8_9WDY0kszFG-eCnfpW1_-ROPNP7sf6H1Ew=w500-h759-no

It cost me around a grand just to transport them from CA to AK, but in addition to sounding great (no subwoofers required!), they have major sentimental value to me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back