Schiit Gungnir DAC
Aug 25, 2019 at 9:32 AM Post #5,911 of 7,049
Where is this load of crap coming from? Been listening to the Topping trolls again?
The MB DAC chips that Schiit uses are actually much more expensive than run-of-the mill DAC chips.
Schiit MB doesn't use the built-in analogue section like most DAC chips have - Mike designed his own analogue section.
That's the part of the DAC that needs thermal stability for consistent long-term sound.

I've owned a GMB/A2 for two years. After initial warm-up, it's been very stable WRT sound quality ever since.
I do leave it turned "on" all the time, when not in use, which I recommend as does Mike Moffat.
I wouldn't notice a $4-$8/month difference in my electric bill anyway ... mother nature moves it way more than that :)
There's something you're not understanding here. Obviously I'm not comparing to delta sigma chips. Also,in the new Yggy manual it talks about leaving it on and the estimation of the annual electricity bill. You're not stating any new. So please, if you got something substantial like explaining what's going on, what's the point? We get you like Gumby, etc.. etc..

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #5,913 of 7,049
Where is this load of crap coming from? Been listening to the Topping trolls again?
The MB DAC chips that Schiit uses are actually much more expensive than run-of-the mill DAC chips.
Schiit MB doesn't use the built-in analogue section like most DAC chips have - Mike designed his own analogue section.
That's the part of the DAC that needs thermal stability for consistent long-term sound.

I've owned a GMB/A2 for two years. After initial warm-up, it's been very stable WRT sound quality ever since.
I do leave it turned "on" all the time, when not in use, which I recommend as does Mike Moffat.
I wouldn't notice a $4-$8/month difference in my electric bill anyway ... mother nature moves it way more than that :)
There's a YouTube channel of an electrician who repairs and resells vintage audio gear and diagnostic equipment (Mr Carlson's Lab). I'm curious to see how Schiit boards & components age after 20... 30... even 40 years (by then, I'll be in my nineties). I wonder if the users in the 1940-60s had similar conversations about their cutting edge analog gear. Mind you, digital is a whole new mindset. What will an antique Gungnir Multibit DAC act like? Dunno...

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #5,914 of 7,049
Sep 11, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #5,915 of 7,049
There's something you're not understanding here. Obviously I'm not comparing to delta sigma chips. Also,in the new Yggy manual it talks about leaving it on and the estimation of the annual electricity bill. You're not stating any new. So please, if you got something substantial like explaining what's going on, what's the point? We get you like Gumby, etc.. etc..

power consumption of a gumby is only 20 w -- less than a light bulb.

the online version of the yggy manual doesn't mention anything about the cost of leaving it on. the power consumption of a yggy is 35w -- again less than a light bulb.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2019 at 6:43 PM Post #5,916 of 7,049
I think we have to update our terminology re: light bulbs. The efficient ones use less than 20w and sometimes as little as 4w.

Can we compare to VCRs that are also on all the time? "My Gungnir MB uses the equivalent of 1/10th of a VCR if I leave it on all the time."

Sep 12, 2019 at 7:21 PM Post #5,917 of 7,049
My wall clock used to be on all the time. I have however fallen prey to the energy conservation bug, so I unplug it except when I am looking at it. Someone told me that it is right twice a day while it is stopped, and that that is more often correct per day than even the best atomic clock, which lags or leads the time, ever so tiny amount.

Sep 13, 2019 at 6:20 AM Post #5,919 of 7,049
How much difference is there from the "A" Model in 2016-2017 to the versions now providing no upgrades have been done? Will it still be a great DAC via S/PDIF in to balanced XLR out?
The A version was warmer.

The current version is a cooler sounding DAC.

It's still fantastic, but you need to keep that in mind when trying to match it to the rest of your system.

Sep 13, 2019 at 10:29 AM Post #5,920 of 7,049
How much difference is there from the "A" Model in 2016-2017 to the versions now providing no upgrades have been done? Will it still be a great DAC via S/PDIF in to balanced XLR out?
Well they say new version has black background, better layering and separation, however little brighter compared to older version. You don’t need to think too much about it as the newer one is technically competent and has all goodness of Multibit.

Sep 13, 2019 at 1:47 PM Post #5,922 of 7,049
I personally sought out the A1 version, as I like it warm, and euphonic. :o2smile: To each their own, but I think it still is a killer dac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back