Schiit Gungnir DAC
Feb 22, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #5,986 of 7,049
I just got one of these [A2, Gen5 usb] and am really impressed! Coming from an RME ADI-2 Pro. Both are awesome, but the Gumby just feels...fuller. Not sure if that makes sense, but that's my initial impressions after letting it warm up for 2 hours and about an hour of listening. I also have an Eitr otw. Think that the Eitr would sound better than just Gen5 usb alone? Obviously thinking about unison too. :thumbsup:
I don't know, but Eitr was designed as an external Gen 5 USB. I find it hard to believe that it would sound better than just Gen 5 on the DAC. You are adding another device with power supply and an extra cable.

Feb 25, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #5,988 of 7,049
I have my Gungnir back from Schiit. It sounds really great direct to the Unison USB input. I dare say the best my system has ever sounded.
Awesome! Looks like mine is going back to Schiit for the install. I can't wait, to make my baby sound even better! Thanks for the update.

Feb 26, 2020 at 5:09 AM Post #5,990 of 7,049
Schiit's turnaround time for the Gungnir Multibit upgrade has been slow. I had to wait about 2 weeks in the que to ship my unit. They received it 14 Feb and I was notified today (24 Feb) that they are ready to ship it out.
Thanks for that! I was really interested how long it is currently taking.

Last edited:
Feb 29, 2020 at 8:06 AM Post #5,991 of 7,049
Dive into the rabbit hole executed.

ETA for arrival of Gumby with gen 5 USB is Monday. Also expecting arrival of Jotunheim next week to complement Modi 2U / Magni 3 stack.

Will be using them ( and shuffling around ) with an ancient Sony DVP-S7000 transport, iMacPro, U-Turn record player, into mixture of Paradigm speakers (Reference Studio 100, Active 40 ) with Parasound HCA-1500 and Denon 7200W for amplification. I made my own cables from Canare/Neutrik components - being a ham radio, soldering iron never leaves my sight :). Music is mix of 70-80-90 rock, jazz, plenty of classical with forays into anything loud. Cans are of entry level type - Sony MDR 7506 ( which I love for sound and hate for getting my ears hot during long radio sessions on the air - even with velour skins ) and Grado.

Skimmed/read parts of this thread. Thanks for lot of advice and interesting tidbits !

Feb 29, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #5,992 of 7,049
Dive into the rabbit hole executed.

ETA for arrival of Gumby with gen 5 USB is Monday. Also expecting arrival of Jotunheim next week to complement Modi 2U / Magni 3 stack.

Will be using them ( and shuffling around ) with an ancient Sony DVP-S7000 transport, iMacPro, U-Turn record player, into mixture of Paradigm speakers (Reference Studio 100, Active 40 ) with Parasound HCA-1500 and Denon 7200W for amplification. I made my own cables from Canare/Neutrik components - being a ham radio, soldering iron never leaves my sight :). Music is mix of 70-80-90 rock, jazz, plenty of classical with forays into anything loud. Cans are of entry level type - Sony MDR 7506 ( which I love for sound and hate for getting my ears hot during long radio sessions on the air - even with velour skins ) and Grado.

Skimmed/read parts of this thread. Thanks for lot of advice and interesting tidbits !
Welcome to the club! The explosive impact, holographic soundstage, and forward vocals is addictive. I freakin love my Gumby. :o2smile:

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #5,993 of 7,049
I received my Gungnir back from Schiit today for the multibit upgrade. I already had the Gen 5 USB. I had to wait about two weeks in the upgrade que and Schiit received it on 14 February and I received it 2 March. Total with tax and shipping for the multibit upgrade was $580.

It's paired with a Mjolnir V2 (tube preamp) and Hifiman HE-500 cans. I'm shocked how much better it sounds. I know, it must be psychoacoustics at play but I really am hearing things I've never heard before in my favorite music. The detail is amazing and the low lows are more prominent. I'm hearing a lot more guitar pick noise and attack--that's freakin' cool.

I know $580 is a lot for an upgrade but it really appears to be worth it.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2020 at 5:41 PM Post #5,994 of 7,049
I received my Gungnir back from Schiit today for the multibit upgrade. I already had the Gen 5 USB. I had to wait about two weeks in the upgrade que and Schiit received it on 14 February and I received it 2 March. Total with tax and shipping for the multibit upgrade was $580.

It's paired with a Mjolnir V2 (tube preamp) and Hifiman HE-500 cans. I'm shocked how much better it sounds. I know, it must be psychoacoustics at play but I really am hearing things I've never heard before in my favorite music. The detail is amazing and the low lows are more prominent. I'm hearing a lot more guitar pick noise and attack--that's freakin' cool.

I know $580 is a lot for an upgrade but it really appears to be worth it.
The same thing happened with me. It was a game-changer for my rig. I still use the Gumby as my DAC ... the SQ is amazingly real.
Oh and BTW, I don't know if it's brain or DAC burn-in, but the sound will improve with time ... don't forget to leave it powered on at all times. Personally, I reset the DAC's power before each listening session, it seems to like that. Prosit!

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #5,995 of 7,049
I got my Gumby 1 in 2015. I bought the USB-5 board about 2018, but since I was 100% CD input, I never put it in, then 2 months ago I got a used LG v40 and got into the high res portion of Tidal. Too bad I one cannot get Hi Res with the Toneboosters EQ and Balance switch together. Either way, the Gumby with the USB-5 is doing a great job.

Not interested in any other DAC solution at this time, nor for the foreseeable future.

P.S. It's always liked to be on - I find after 4 days I don't hear any change. The only time it comes out is for very strong electrical storms.

I do plan on putting in a pair of bypass caps for the PS, and the output caps. Due to space issues no crazy big Duelands, but some vishays will fit. Surprised I have not done it yet.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #5,996 of 7,049
I
I got my Gumby 1 in 2015. I bought the USB-5 board about 2018, but since I was 100% CD input, I never put it in, then 2 months ago I got a used LG v40 and got into the high res portion of Tidal. Too bad I one cannot get Hi Res with the Toneboosters EQ and Balance switch together. Either way, the Gumby with the USB-5 is doing a great job.

Not interested in any other DAC solution at this time, nor for the foreseeable future.

P.S. It's always liked to be on - I find after 4 days I don't hear any change. The only time it comes out is for very strong electrical storms.

I do plan on putting in a pair of bypass caps for the PS, and the output caps. Due to space issues no crazy big Duelands, but some vishays will fit. Surprised I have not done it yet.
I'm very interested in your upgrade plans. Make sure you photo document it and provide us with listening results!!

Apr 10, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #5,997 of 7,049
I

I'm very interested in your upgrade plans. Make sure you photo document it and provide us with listening results!!

Yeah. I was a total dunce for not doing it when I had it opened up for the Gen5 - BTW the directions at the other site were spot on if anyone wants guidance on doing it.

Dunce move #2: Not getting the cap values when I did have it open, meaning it gets opened twice, or I go on vacation waiting for the parts to come in - which is unlikely in the near term. My mistakes = your wisdom! Anyone happen to know the values?

One tip: once all screwed back together don't clean off fingerprints around the leds, they push in rather easily, and you'll find yourself using your smallest tweezers with little felt pieces glued on (afraid the direct metal contact might injure them) just for this job to grab the leds and pull them out. Good news is that you don't have to be hyper anal getting all the leds back into the holes and pushed up all the way before screwing shut, since if one or two of them are not 100% out, you can make them that way as long as your leds are at least 50-60% of the way out to the max position.

Apr 10, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #5,998 of 7,049
Hi guys, I am about to pull the trigger on a Gungnir Multibit. However, has anyone heard any rumors of a Gungnir 2 coming out anytime soon? I don't want to be spending $1,300, only to find out that a revised model will be out in a few months.

Thanks in advance! :)

Apr 10, 2020 at 6:50 PM Post #5,999 of 7,049
Hi guys, I am about to pull the trigger on a Gungnir Multibit. However, has anyone heard any rumors of a Gungnir 2 coming out anytime soon? I don't want to be spending $1,300, only to find out that a revised model will be out in a few months.

Thanks in advance! :)
No rumors, but my Gungnir multibit does sound awesome playing Fleetwood Mac,
If you're hesitant, pick up a Bifrost 2. It's already on the newest platform, and has a remote if that's a consideration. For the Gungnir v1 platform, that's likely the only upgrade of any significance that would be difficult to do on the same chassis. Myself, I'm glad I have a Gungnir with Gen5, and picked up a used Mjolnir 1 to pair with it. I may upgrade to unison at some point, and expect there still may be some additional analog section upgrades to this platform in the future.

Apr 10, 2020 at 8:42 PM Post #6,000 of 7,049
It's believed that v2 of the Gungnir came out in 2019, as a silent modification. Then there was a lot of conversation in the Schiit thread - which I can't remember, go check it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back