Schiit Gungnir DAC
Apr 10, 2020 at 9:44 PM Post #6,001 of 7,049
I got my Gumby 1 in 2015. I bought the USB-5 board about 2018, but since I was 100% CD input, I never put it in, then 2 months ago I got a used LG v40 and got into the high res portion of Tidal. Too bad I one cannot get Hi Res with the Toneboosters EQ and Balance switch together. Either way, the Gumby with the USB-5 is doing a great job.

Not interested in any other DAC solution at this time, nor for the foreseeable future.

P.S. It's always liked to be on - I find after 4 days I don't hear any change. The only time it comes out is for very strong electrical storms.

I do plan on putting in a pair of bypass caps for the PS, and the output caps. Due to space issues no crazy big Duelands, but some vishays will fit. Surprised I have not done it yet.
I remember the LEDs being a pain way back when I changed my USB to I think Gen 2 at the time!

Apr 11, 2020 at 2:01 AM Post #6,002 of 7,049
It's believed that v2 of the Gungnir came out in 2019, as a silent modification. Then there was a lot of conversation in the Schiit thread - which I can't remember, go check it out.
I've briefly read about Gumbys with a "B" prefix for its serial numbers. Is this what you were talking about? In any case, I will have an in-depth read this weekend. We're all quarantined after all, and I don't really have anything else to do to pass the time. Ha.

Thanks!

No rumors, but my Gungnir multibit does sound awesome playing Fleetwood Mac,
If you're hesitant, pick up a Bifrost 2. It's already on the newest platform, and has a remote if that's a consideration. For the Gungnir v1 platform, that's likely the only upgrade of any significance that would be difficult to do on the same chassis. Myself, I'm glad I have a Gungnir with Gen5, and picked up a used Mjolnir 1 to pair with it. I may upgrade to unison at some point, and expect there still may be some additional analog section upgrades to this platform in the future.
The Bifrost was briefly considered; I then went up the chain to the Gumby and the Yggdrasil. The latter is way beyond what I can comfortably spend at the moment, so I've whittled my choices down to the Bifrost and the Gungnir. Will be doing more reading this weekend, I suppose. Thanks for the help! :)

Apr 11, 2020 at 2:08 AM Post #6,003 of 7,049
The Bifrost was briefly considered; I then went up the chain to the Gumby and the Yggdrasil. The latter is way beyond what I can comfortably spend at the moment, so I've whittled my choices down to the Bifrost and the Gungnir. Will be doing more reading this weekend, I suppose. Thanks for the help! :)

There is a lot of info on another forum comparing the Bifrost 2 to the current Gungnir and Yggy.

Tl;dr - I have a Bifrost 2 coming on Monday.

Apr 11, 2020 at 7:31 AM Post #6,004 of 7,049
I've briefly read about Gumbys with a "B" prefix for its serial numbers. Is this what you were talking about? In any case, I will have an in-depth read this weekend. We're all quarantined after all, and I don't really have anything else to do to pass the time. Ha.

Thanks!

Yup "a" vs "b". Most think "b" is better. I missed my shot at hearing one, and being busy buying expensive stuff for my Bottlehead Crack project, have no money to pursue one anyhow. Good luck, if "b" is the most advanced version for now, I'd go ahead - in particular if it was used.

Apr 16, 2020 at 1:11 AM Post #6,007 of 7,049
I'd get in trouble for mentioning it here. Google is your friend.
Can you give me a bit of a clue (unique keyword) that would make the search easier? Searching for "Bifrost 2 Gungnir Yggy" (or variations on it) is a bit like searching for a needle in a haystack. I have a masters degree in library and information science and have some pretty good search skills, but not *that* magical!

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #6,009 of 7,049
Can you give me a bit of a clue (unique keyword) that would make the search easier? Searching for "Bifrost 2 Gungnir Yggy" (or variations on it) is a bit like searching for a needle in a haystack. I have a masters degree in library and information science and have some pretty good search skills, but not *that* magical!

Google is your super best friend.

May 1, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #6,012 of 7,049
Units that have been upgraded will have a multibit label on it.
IMG_6187.jpg
IMG_6189.jpg
is a picture of my unit.

May 1, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #6,013 of 7,049
Anyway, I just wanted to say, I have a Schiit Gungnir Multibit incoming; I should be getting it sometime early next week. Along with the Gumby, I purchased the Mjolnir 2.

Can't wait to get my hands on them! :)

May 1, 2020 at 5:52 PM Post #6,014 of 7,049
Anyway, I just wanted to say, I have a Schiit Gungnir Multibit incoming; I should be getting it sometime early next week. Along with the Gumby, I purchased the Mjolnir 2.

Can't wait to get my hands on them! :)

I will order the same later this year.
So looking forward to it.

Real endgame combo.

Which headphones do you use?

May 2, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #6,015 of 7,049
I ordered the combo on Thursday, and it arrived at my doorstep today. That was pretty fast!

As this is meant to be a desktop source, they are taking quite a large chunk of space on them. Looks like I might have to get a bigger table, with monitor mounts to free up some real estate. They are also very heavy.

First impressions are good. The combo adds a touch of warmth and body to my music; I'm loving that nice midrange bloom.

I will order the same later this year.
So looking forward to it.

Real endgame combo.

Which headphones do you use?
I'm transitioning from a 90% portable setup to a home-based one, so I'm using mostly IEMs at the moment (such as the Solaris, Kaiser Encore, K10, FH5). For headphones, the Ultrasone PRO 900 and Denon D2000 are the cans I use the most. As I'm a huge fan of closed-back designs, I'm deciding between the TH900 Mk2, LCD-XC, and the LCD-2 Closed Back for my next purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back