Schiit Gungnir DAC
Aug 19, 2020 at 10:18 PM Post #6,031 of 7,058
If I don't have Unison installed, is there a difference/preference for Optical or USB gen5?+
EDIT: I have a Gumby [A2]

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2020 at 8:49 AM Post #6,033 of 7,058
If I don't have Unison installed, is there a difference/preference for Optical or USB gen5?+
EDIT: I have a Gumby [A2]

I have A1, so ymmv. I can't tell much of a difference between optical, coax, or usb. I'd probably fail a blind test. I use optical because the owner's manual of my source says that's their preferred output. I set it and forget it.

Edit: I meant to say A1. Not sure how/why I typed A2.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2020 at 1:47 PM Post #6,034 of 7,058
Thanks for the answers. I have been using USB since I got the Gumby and all my other DACs have used USB. Yesterday, I tried each and thought they both sounded good. Optical is said to have more jitter than the other inputs. "Adapticlock" is supposed to handle that aspect, but optical also supposedly has a 13db higher noise floor, so less dynamic range, maybe? Still, it was crystal clear without and weirdness or glitches [see below]. I switched back to USB5, and it sounded basically the same. Maybe slightly "blacker." Only reason I ask is that sometimes when multi-tasking [web browsing, downloading Steam updates, playing DSD, etc] it would occasionally have intermittent glitches [sound pauses and stutters] if I was using USB, usually when playing DSD or 24/192 FLAC. It doesn't happen all the time, though - or even under the same conditions or with any observable schedule. But this does NOT occur if I am using optical inputs. Nevertheless, not wanting to spend the big bucks for reclockers and $500 usb converter or streamer, I bought an isolated USB card for dedicated audio use [around $40] that I could install as well. I think this should be done regardless of whether I do the Unison upgrade or not, but am considering if I should just bite the bullet and send it in for Unison. Pretty much everyone says it was the best that their DAC sounded. A few folks said they couldn't hear a difference, though. My PC is a Jack-Of-All-Trades kind, where it is used everyday in some capacity: browsing, movie watching, music listening, gaming, recording music and some occasional video editting. I use Win10, Foobar2K and have the buffer set high enough to not be an issue. My CPU is a R7 3700X, so I should have plenty of CPU overhead. Last info, I use Gumby for all PCM files, RME ADI-2 Pro [via USB] for DSD files (or occasionally Gumby converting DSD to PCM, which was tested yesterday). Sorry for the short novel...

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2020 at 8:32 PM Post #6,035 of 7,058
Thanks for the answers. I have been using USB since I got the Gumby and all my other DACs have used USB. Yesterday, I tried each and thought they both sounded good. Optical is said to have more jitter than the other inputs. "Adapticlock" is supposed to handle that aspect, but optical also supposedly has a 13db higher noise floor, so less dynamic range, maybe? Still, it was crystal clear without and weirdness or glitches [see below]. I switched back to USB5, and it sounded basically the same. Maybe slightly "blacker." Only reason I ask is that sometimes when multi-tasking [web browsing, downloading Steam updates, playing DSD, etc] it would occasionally have intermittent glitches [sound pauses and stutters] if I was using USB, usually when playing DSD or 24/192 FLAC. It doesn't happen all the time, though - or even under the same conditions or with any observable schedule. But this does NOT occur if I am using optical inputs. Nevertheless, not wanting to spend the big bucks for reclockers and $500 usb converter or streamer, I bought an isolated USB card for dedicated audio use [around $40] that I could install as well. I think this should be done regardless of whether I do the Unison upgrade or not, but am considering if I should just bite the bullet and send it in for Unison. Pretty much everyone says it was the best that their DAC sounded. A few folks said they couldn't hear a difference, though. My PC is a Jack-Of-All-Trades kind, where it is used everyday in some capacity: browsing, movie watching, music listening, gaming, recording music and some occasional video editting. I use Win10, Foobar2K and have the buffer set high enough to not be an issue. My CPU is a R7 3700X, so I should have plenty of CPU overhead. Last info, I use Gumby for all PCM files, RME ADI-2 Pro [via USB] for DSD files (or occasionally Gumby converting DSD to PCM, which was tested yesterday). Sorry for the short novel...

If you come across a Wyrd for cheap enough, I'd suggest trying it. I found mine for $20 bucks, which is why I gave it a shot. Much to my surprise, it was a $20 bucks very well spent.

Aug 20, 2020 at 8:36 PM Post #6,036 of 7,058
Well, curiosity got the best of me and I sprung for the unison upgrade. I don't expect to hear much of a difference (I thought my gumby sounded great with gen 5); but I will be sure to report back!

Aug 26, 2020 at 10:56 PM Post #6,037 of 7,058
Took delivery today of two pieces of Schiit that I bought from the FS/Trade forum. How do I determine if the Gungnir is version A1/2 and USB gen 2/3/4/5? The Multibit sticker gave away that part--probably the most important detail :D

20200826_214305.jpg

20200826_214257.jpg

See original Gungnir/Mjolnir2 Photos on Dropbox.

Aug 26, 2020 at 11:40 PM Post #6,038 of 7,058
Took delivery today of two pieces of Schiit that I bought from the FS/Trade forum. How do I determine if the Gungnir is version A1/2 and USB gen 2/3/4/5? The Multibit sticker gave away that part--probably the most important detail :D

Search this thread, but I think the majority of Gumby A2 are identified with a B serial number. But don’t lose hope yet! There are some in the wild like mine that also are A2 with a 0 serial number. I confirmed mine by opening it up and checking the board version number. They did the silent upgrade to A2 sometime in the late summer or fall of ‘17 - my guess is that it took a while before anyone clued in and noticed, the B serial was an easy tip-off.

Aug 26, 2020 at 11:53 PM Post #6,039 of 7,058

20200826_214305.jpg

20200826_214257.jpg

There are EITR's on the Schiit site for just $89. That might be a good option for you. Or send it in and pay $200 to get a Unison card installed.

I think you have a Gen2, A-1 Gungnir MB DAC. It's like mine, just a few months older. I bought mine in early 2016.

My serial number is SH-06 and 06003672.

I am not keen on shipping my unit to Schiit for a Unison install. The EITR box works great.

I have the Moljnir2 as well.

You are going to love these two!

Sep 17, 2020 at 7:08 AM Post #6,040 of 7,058
I got my Gumby back a couple of weeks ago! Unison sounds amazing! That said, it's hard to say if it's actually an improvement as I had been listening to a Modi 3 for the two weeks it took to get back. Without A/Bing and having fresh auditory memory it's hard to really say what my perceived improvement stems from- the upgrade or my favorite DAC resuming it's rightful place in my chain?

That said, if I did have to quantify what I perceive as different-
-Plankton is increased. Before the images were ever so slightly fuzzy but now they're rock solid- spookily so. I feel like I've been discovering so many new things in Music I already thought I knew well! Little whispers or noises will sometimes sound like they're being whispered from some corner of my room when using my VO or VC. It's always such a shock and I'm always amazed to find it was just a new detail of my music that has revealed itself!
-Going off of that- the background definitely sounds darker. If this makes any sense- before when sound would be reproduced it would leave remnants of it's "color" that bled into the next note- now it vanishes extremely quickly into inky black. Everything is feels so much more refined and yet musical!

Overall I'm very happy with my upgrade!

Sep 17, 2020 at 7:34 AM Post #6,041 of 7,058
I got my Gumby back a couple of weeks ago! Unison sounds amazing! That said, it's hard to say if it's actually an improvement as I had been listening to a Modi 3 for the two weeks it took to get back. Without A/Bing and having fresh auditory memory it's hard to really say what my perceived improvement stems from- the upgrade or my favorite DAC resuming it's rightful place in my chain?

That said, if I did have to quantify what I perceive as different-
-Plankton is increased. Before the images were ever so slightly fuzzy but now they're rock solid- spookily so. I feel like I've been discovering so many new things in Music I already thought I knew well! Little whispers or noises will sometimes sound like they're being whispered from some corner of my room when using my VO or VC. It's always such a shock and I'm always amazed to find it was just a new detail of my music that has revealed itself!
-Going off of that- the background definitely sounds darker. If this makes any sense- before when sound would be reproduced it would leave remnants of it's "color" that bled into the next note- now it vanishes extremely quickly into inky black. Everything is feels so much more refined and yet musical!

Overall I'm very happy with my upgrade!
Is Unison only an upgrade to the USB, or would it impact sound quality through SPDIF toslink?

Sep 17, 2020 at 7:36 AM Post #6,042 of 7,058

20200826_214305.jpg

20200826_214257.jpg
Don’t worry or think about it. There is a separate fan base for A1 version.

Sep 17, 2020 at 7:37 AM Post #6,043 of 7,058
Is Unison only an upgrade to the USB, or would it impact sound quality through SPDIF toslink?
unison will impact USB input only.
I feel instead of spending money on a unison upgrade get a better streamer and use BNC input.

Sep 17, 2020 at 7:40 AM Post #6,044 of 7,058
unison will impact USB input only.
I feel instead of spending money on a unison upgrade get a better streamer and use BNC input.
Which streamers offer BNC? Bluesound Node2i?

Sep 17, 2020 at 7:41 AM Post #6,045 of 7,058
Which streamers offer BNC? Bluesound Node2i?
I’m using Digione Signature and Pi2AES. Both punch way above their price point.
In fact with Pi2AES you will get BNC, Coax, AES, I2S for some DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back