Schiit Gungnir DAC
Sep 17, 2020 at 1:56 PM Post #6,046 of 7,058
I’m using Digione Signature and Pi2AES. Both punch way above their price point.
In fact with Pi2AES you will get BNC, Coax, AES, I2S for some DAC.

I am also using the Gumby A2 with the Pi2AES/BNC connection. In my setup there is an improvement over USB Gen 5 connection.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #6,047 of 7,058
Another BNC user here, I am using my A1 Gungnir with a Halide Design S/PDIF Bridge. My Gungnir still has USB Gen 1, so it's quite the upgrade. I'm thinking of going multibit soon, but not sure about the Unison upgrade. I have never found a use for the USB input, mainly because the Halide Bridge sounds so much better.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #6,048 of 7,058
With all the upgrades that the Bifrost 2 went through are there any sonic advantage of picking the latest Gungnir MB ? I'm considering buying either. This would be a complement of the Gustard A18 (AK4499) that I already use with my Violectric V200 amp and Beyerdynamic T1.1.

Nov 12, 2020 at 12:07 PM Post #6,049 of 7,058
I originally bought the Gungnir because it has fully hardware balanced design. I am still happy now after A2 and Gen5 USB upgrade. I have heard from a trusted source that the Bifrost 2 sounds "better" than the Gungnir, but I've not heard the Bifrost 2 myself. I believe the Unison USB is even better than Gen5 SQ. I also also like the modular design of Bifrost. I know, not a good answer but hope it may help a bit anyway :)

Nov 12, 2020 at 12:12 PM Post #6,050 of 7,058
I originally bought the Gungnir because it has fully hardware balanced design. I am still happy now after A2 and Gen5 USB upgrade. I have heard from a trusted source that the Bifrost 2 sounds "better" than the Gungnir, but I've not heard the Bifrost 2 myself. I believe the Unison USB is even better than Gen5 SQ. I also also like the modular design of Bifrost. I know, not a good answer but hope it may help a bit anyway :)
I wouldn’t say Bifrost 2 is better then Gungnir. If you have built your system around Gungnir then rest assured it’s very good DAC. Gungnir may need some careful matching of gears but once done it is one of the better DAC at its price range going around.

Nov 12, 2020 at 5:05 PM Post #6,052 of 7,058
With all the upgrades that the Bifrost 2 went through are there any sonic advantage of picking the latest Gungnir MB ? I'm considering buying either. This would be a complement of the Gustard A18 (AK4499) that I already use with my Violectric V200 amp and Beyerdynamic T1.1.
You shouldn't hear any difference in the DACs unless either Schiit or Gustard intentionally coloured the analogue output stage which would be ridiculous.

Nov 12, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #6,053 of 7,058
You shouldn't hear any difference in the DACs unless either Schiit or Gustard intentionally coloured the analogue output stage which would be ridiculous.
Why wouldn't he hear a difference between them?

I have 3 dacs here, all based on different Chips and Implementations, and all of them are easily to discern by sound

Nov 12, 2020 at 5:33 PM Post #6,054 of 7,058
Why wouldn't he hear a difference between them?

I have 3 dacs here, all based on different Chips and Implementations, and all of them are easily to discern by sound
Not likely, you are doing sighted listening tests I am sure. Now saying that, some implementations are not very good. Essentially if you can hear a difference in DACs, with one or all of them something is wrong. A DAC should do NOTHING more than accurately convert digital signals into analogue output. This has been achieved with absolute audible transparency possible for a number of years and it can and is available for rather surprisingly small sums of money today in stand alone DACs. Not to mention, simply because you hear differences, ascribing to the theory that there are some topological reasons you hear differences (design decisions to colour the sound) you can't assume that this is true for anything other than your sample of three. Are they the same DACs as other poster was considering? If not your experience may not be applicable to their experience.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #6,055 of 7,058
Not likely, you are doing sighted listening tests I am sure. Now saying that, some implementations are not very good. Essentially if you can hear a difference in DACs, with one or all of them something is wrong. A DAC should do NOTHING more than accurately convert digital signals into analogue output. This has been achieved with absolute audible transparency possible for a number of years and it can and is available for rather surprisingly small sums of money today in stand alone DACs. Not to mention, simply because you hear differences, ascribing to the theory that there are some topological reasons you hear differences (design decisions to colour the sound) you can't assume that this is true for anything other than your sample of three. Are they the same DACs as other poster was considering? If not your experience may not be applicable to their experience.
Well I can clearly hear the difference, maybe others hear them less, but I have no reason to assume that others can't hear differences in DACs.

Therefore the question, why wouldn't he hear it?

Sure it is possible that some DACs sound so similar to each other that you can't hear differences, but I consider that to be the exception and not the rule

Nov 12, 2020 at 6:09 PM Post #6,056 of 7,058
Well I can clearly hear the difference, maybe others hear them less, but I have no reason to assume that others can't hear differences in DACs.

Therefore the question, why wouldn't he hear it?

Sure it is possible that some DACs sound so similar to each other that you can't hear differences, but I consider that to be the exception and not the rule
Based on what evidence? If your only evidence is sighted listening, that isn't evidence at all. Not trying to be argumentative to be right or harsh, but the notion that sighted listening tests are in anyway valid is completely incorrect and that isn't opinion anymore than evolution is an opinion. It is based on well established scientific principles. Nobody is immune to expectation bias.

Nov 12, 2020 at 6:13 PM Post #6,058 of 7,058
Yes cookie cutter cheap chi fi designs that measure impeccably do all sound the same :)
Whatever. So your theory is that a DAC should change the sound stream? That is what speakers and headphones are for, introduce character there as it is almost unavoidable there anyway. DACs and amps, nope, they should be transparent.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2020 at 6:15 PM Post #6,059 of 7,058
Yes cookie cutter cheap chi fi designs that measure impeccably do all sound the same :)
And I have spent a few thousands on a DAC. Never again, complete waste of money.

Nov 12, 2020 at 9:29 PM Post #6,060 of 7,058

Users who are viewing this thread

Back