Schiit Gungnir DAC
Oct 22, 2018 at 10:04 PM Post #5,386 of 7,100
Bifrost uber to Gumby was a heck of an upgrade for me. The gumby has more precise imaging, and a greater sense of space. I feel like it was a worthwhile investment.

I have a bunch of tubes on order for the MJ2, and I can't wait to extract some more performance out of it, but as it stands it was a pretty decent improvement over the WA7 I was using. Not with stock tubes though, they are pretty harsh with my th900s. MJ2's price is really somewhere around 1k by the time you figure in decent tubes.

Oct 23, 2018 at 2:11 AM Post #5,387 of 7,100
Bifrost uber to Gumby was a heck of an upgrade for me. The gumby has more precise imaging, and a greater sense of space. I feel like it was a worthwhile investment.
This! :L3000:

Oct 23, 2018 at 7:24 AM Post #5,389 of 7,100
How about the yaggy Vs gumby?
Is it worth double the price?
On your profile, I see headphones listed. Headphones such as the HD800S can benefit from the slight resolution improvement in the Yggy (versus Gumby). But it would depend on your entire setup.

In the blind, one could say a $200 amplifier would not be able to support the resolution upgrade from Gumby to Yggy. But say a $2000 amplifier should. But it would really help to answer more accurately if you described your complete setup. Gumby is all most people need (and maybe more than some people need - hence Bimby and Modi).

Oct 23, 2018 at 8:42 AM Post #5,390 of 7,100
Oct 23, 2018 at 9:14 AM Post #5,391 of 7,100
For you guys who have the Gumby, what kind of music source quality are you listening to? Do you think the difference would be notable and worth the upgrade for someone mostly streaming Tidal (flac 16bit/44.1kHz) from something like the mimby? Or is Tidal not high-enough quality to make use of the Gumby's 19bit resolution?

Oct 23, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #5,392 of 7,100
Or is Tidal not high-enough quality to make use of the Gumby's 19bit resolution?
People (y'know, them) have said that lower resolution music benefits a great deal from multi-bit.

Oct 23, 2018 at 10:07 AM Post #5,393 of 7,100
For you guys who have the Gumby, what kind of music source quality are you listening to? Do you think the difference would be notable and worth the upgrade for someone mostly streaming Tidal (flac 16bit/44.1kHz) from something like the mimby? Or is Tidal not high-enough quality to make use of the Gumby's 19bit resolution?

Something worth considering: getting a great DAC like a Gumby may inspire you to upgrade your sources. The "Black Hole" effect of fine audio gear.

Oct 23, 2018 at 10:07 AM Post #5,394 of 7,100
Not only do I stream tidal master but also Spotify premium. Both sound better with Gumby, much, to my ears. Hell, even Youtube videos sounded better.

Before I pulled the trigger from my LYR2/Mimby, I was quite hesitant and concerned that there’d be minimal improvement and a diminish in return from my past gear. But no, just no, and this was straight outta the box with no burn-in which it needs plenty of. Gumby is just a really nice DAC and is endgame for so many people along with me. It’s more spacious and has great imaging. But the first thing I noticed (it it hit me hard) is how freakin organic the sound is. It’s just so smooth and easy with no edge giving me the sense of listening to music the way it’s supposed to sound. I got goosebumps actually because I was kind of on the negative side on how much of a difference I’d hear. The best was I can describe it is, It’s not like it’s driving a car at 35 MPH then punching it to 80 MPH on a rough road, but more like 35 to 50 on a new nicely paved road.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2018 at 10:11 AM Post #5,395 of 7,100
On your profile, I see headphones listed. Headphones such as the HD800S can benefit from the slight resolution improvement in the Yggy (versus Gumby). But it would depend on your entire setup.

In the blind, one could say a $200 amplifier would not be able to support the resolution upgrade from Gumby to Yggy. But say a $2000 amplifier should. But it would really help to answer more accurately if you described your complete setup. Gumby is all most people need (and maybe more than some people need - hence Bimby and Modi).

I'd go the other way. The HD800S has a lot of the characteristics that kept me 100% vinyl until late '14. When I ran the Yggy vs the Gumby in making my choice:

Yggy was more detailed, more dynamic, 1st gen pop/rock CD's headache provoking as they should be - similar to a big Krell amp
vs.
Gumby bit less dynamic, wider soundstage, slightly sweet, tough to take 1st gen CD's sound OK - reminds me of a Pass amp - Aleph3.

Oct 23, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #5,397 of 7,100

Thank's!
My headphone amp is mjolnir 2 with 1-2 pairs of tubes.
BUT
I am first of all a speaker guy so my prime interest is gumby vs yaggy for my 2 channel set up.
Which is Elac BS312 + Azur 851A nearfield in a heavily treated room able to hear even the most subtle and small details.
Music is only classical if that matters.
OR should i wait for the gumby A2 upgrade?

Oct 23, 2018 at 12:48 PM Post #5,398 of 7,100
Only you can answer if you should, or can wait. I would definitely check and see what the upgrade process looks like in your location.

The A2 has convinced me to hang onto my bifrost so that when the time comes I have something to listen too while I wait. TBH it doesn't take much to convince me to keep something instead of selling it. My inner hoarder is hard to control at times.

Oct 23, 2018 at 1:13 PM Post #5,399 of 7,100
Almost all my music are in flac. Mostly redbook but some in higher formats, and I do have some albums in 320 mp3 and they sound great.

I bought the Gumby because the Bifrost (which I loved with the Asgard 2) was not a good match with my HDVA600. The Gungnir G5 MultiBit is the best DAC I ever owned or additioned at home. It just clicks with my personal taste and I would pay double if I had to.

Disclaimer:
Yes, my experience is limited and I'm sure there are better DACs out there but I don't care. Go away :smiling_imp:...

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2018 at 1:15 PM Post #5,400 of 7,100
The A2 has convinced me to hang onto my bifrost so that when the time comes I have something to listen too while I wait.
Smart move, I regret selling my Bifrost G5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back