Schiit Gungnir DAC
Oct 23, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #5,402 of 7,100
Only you can answer if you should, or can wait. I would definitely check and see what the upgrade process looks like in your location.

The A2 has convinced me to hang onto my bifrost so that when the time comes I have something to listen too while I wait. TBH it doesn't take much to convince me to keep something instead of selling it. My inner hoarder is hard to control at times.

Of course i can wait!
The problem though is that the A2 isn't officially announced yet!I
The truth is that i am OK with gumby but you know how this hobby works!

Oct 24, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #5,404 of 7,100
So?

I know schiit doesnt really do massive new models or upgrades. I have been waiting for a year to buy my Gumby!! I have a gen 5 usb eitr. Bested my U12. So Yggdrsil had analog 2 update. So any info on the Gumby upgrades?

Musicguy

Rocking a Gustard x22 right now. Good with tubes on my lyr 2 and dark sounding headphones.

Oct 25, 2018 at 3:20 AM Post #5,405 of 7,100

Only you can answer if you should, or can wait. I would definitely check and see what the upgrade process looks like in your location.

The A2 has convinced me to hang onto my bifrost so that when the time comes I have something to listen too while I wait. TBH it doesn't take much to convince me to keep something instead of selling it. My inner hoarder is hard to control at times.
Of course i can wait!
The problem though is that the A2 isn't officially announced yet!I
The truth is that i am OK with gumby but you know how this hobby works!

May i ask what the "A2" you are talking about.

music guy

Oct 25, 2018 at 8:58 AM Post #5,407 of 7,100
I am talking about the Gungnir new analog board upgrade.
All current production gugnirs are delivered with this new silent upgrade.
As it is discussed here.

I have the older versions of both the Gumby and Yggy A1 ... I've upgraded the Yggy to USB 5 and I've upgraded the older Gumby numerous times to multibit and upgraded the USB board twice since it is one of the first to come out

I am thinking that buying a brand new Gumby would probably be best since I also want to set up another listening area. I just want to definitely know if the current production Gumby model is it fact the new version and if truly is a step up in SQ

Oct 25, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #5,408 of 7,100
Sorry .... I haven't been paying attention to the thread ... I'll do some searching to see if anyone is hearing any improvement in SQ with this 'silent' upgrade ...

This is what I have been waiting for ... SQ improvements

Oct 25, 2018 at 7:38 PM Post #5,409 of 7,100
I am talking about the Gungnir new analog board upgrade.
All current production gugnirs are delivered with this new silent upgrade.
As it is discussed here.

According to whom, exactly?
And, how does a person verify A2?

Oct 25, 2018 at 9:09 PM Post #5,410 of 7,100
According to the rumor mill, any Gumby with SN starting with "B" has the analog 2 board. I purchased mine recently and it has this board, but I don't have an original to compare to, only a bimby and mimby. Between those, once I account for level matching of balanced vs single ended, I can't really say I can tell those apart. Clearly they measure differently (bimby vs gumby vs mimby), but I haven't seen any measurements comparing the purported gumby A2 with A1, as has been shown with yggy.

At this point, I'm just figuring they all sound great and I use each of them in different rigs office vs bedroom, vs workout room vs 2 channel.

Oct 25, 2018 at 10:30 PM Post #5,411 of 7,100
I guess it is possible they silently upgraded the Gumby without alerting people they could upgrade their previous version. That is if you assume they are swamped and do not want a bunch of Gumby upgrade orders before Christmas.

I kind of doubt it though tbh.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2018 at 3:31 AM Post #5,412 of 7,100

As you know I am not allowed to post links.
Do some research and you will find all the information you seek.
There are photos of the new board and the differences are obvious.
As for sound there are people who have listened both and they suggest that they sound slightly differently.
Schiit officially have denied the "upgrade".

Oct 26, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #5,413 of 7,100
After looking into it more I would guess that it is probably true the Gumby has the new A2 board.

That's fine with me, although I did base my purchase decision based on the reviews of the original Gumby. Not super happy about that, but I AM happy with how it sounds and preforms, and at the end of the day that is what matters.

Oct 26, 2018 at 3:10 PM Post #5,414 of 7,100
After looking into it more I would guess that it is probably true the Gumby has the new A2 board.

That's fine with me, although I did base my purchase decision based on the reviews of the original Gumby. Not super happy about that, but I AM happy with how it sounds and preforms, and at the end of the day that is what matters.
I would love to see a photo of the "new A2 board" and will gladly share a photo of my naked Gumby purchased November 2017 for comparison.
IMG_7260.JPG

Oct 26, 2018 at 3:25 PM Post #5,415 of 7,100
I was thinking about doing that. I only hesitate because I don't want to turn it off, although I think they newer version takes less time to stabilize. I heard the most difference after about 24 hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back