Schiit Gungnir DAC
Oct 18, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #5,372 of 7,161
Funny , i have been trying balanced vs single ended in from Gumby to mj2 and balanced out.
To my surprise i prefer single ended with HD800s.
They sound fuller and with better bass.
That’s one for the books as you’re the 1st on this entire thread that I can “recall” that feels that way. As long as it’s good for you? That’s all that matters.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2018 at 4:51 PM Post #5,374 of 7,161
Funny , i have been trying balanced vs single ended in from Gumby to mj2 and balanced out.
To my surprise i prefer single ended with HD800s.
They sound fuller and with better bass.
Do you mean balanced out from the MJ2 to HD800 (4 pin xlr) vs single ended out (1/4") or are you talking about SE (rca) from Gumby to MJ2?

Oct 18, 2018 at 5:31 PM Post #5,375 of 7,161
The difference in voltage could be affecting the perceived SQ in the headphones ...
Louder isn't always more detailed.

Oct 18, 2018 at 10:58 PM Post #5,376 of 7,161
I mean balanced in vs single ended in from gumby to mjolnir 2.
The headphones out is always balanced.
Of course I am trying to match the volume by ear.
Aside from which one I prefer , believe me that the differences single ended Vs balanced in are subtle and minimal.
So I have come to the conclusion that the single ended out of gumby is not crippled at all and sound is 95% similar to the balanced out.
The same applies to the single ended Vs balanced in of mjolnir 2.
The sound quality is 95% the same but with single in you have to use the high gain to get the best results.
Just my thoughts listening to classical music from cd transport.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2018 at 2:01 AM Post #5,377 of 7,161
I mean balanced in vs single ended in from gumby to mjolnir 2.
The headphones out is always balanced.
Of course I am trying to match the volume by ear.
Aside from which one I prefer , believe me that the differences single ended Vs balanced in are subtle and minimal.
So I have come to the conclusion that the single ended out of gumby is not crippled at all and sound is 95% similar to the balanced out.
The same applies to the single ended Vs balanced in of mjolnir 2.
The sound quality is 95% the same but with single in you have to use the high gain to get the best results.
Just my thoughts listening to classical music from cd transport.
I never knew the SE output of Gumby was considered crippled. I agree with you, the difference of SE and balanced out of Gumby is minimal or doesn't exist (or is too small for my ears to pickup). In my setup with both amps I can't hear an obvious difference.

The differences of both my amps considering SE out or balanced out (to HD800) is another story tho. And it has nothing to do with a difference in volume. I can pick them out with a 100% accuracy each time. And on my Auralic I also sometimes, with certain recordings, like the SE route.

Oct 19, 2018 at 4:08 AM Post #5,379 of 7,161
Well never thought so but I was reading here and there that some guys think of the single ended out of gumby being inferior.
The difficulty is that everyone has a different setup from wall outlet to headphones. May be with a specific setup the SE is inferior, who knows.

Imagine an alpha male with 2 wifes and 7 children, each with their own mobile phone and other stuff that might interfere with the signal. In that case it's easy to believe that the balanced input/output is better :L3000:. Or doesn't it work like that :confused:?

Oct 21, 2018 at 7:56 PM Post #5,381 of 7,161
Hmmm... never used SE with the Gumby, always an 18" belden balanced.

I developed the habit of using balanced connections over SE for pre-amp and line stage to amp connections. Two reasons became clear to support that preference. One was that in the examples I had, the balanced was quieter than SE. The second is that I could not tell the difference between various cables being used balanced, which makes the choice easier, and cheaper. At some points in time SE connection differences did sound different - even in blind tests. But not that often so I don't want to get into that debate.

Specs say balanced output is 4 V RMS vs 2 V RMS for SE. I'm sticking with the balanced.

Oct 22, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #5,382 of 7,161
I’m wondering if anyone here has tried this unit with their Gungnir?

https://wyred4sound.com/products/digital-converters/remedy-reclocker

And, if so, how does it sound?
hello my friend just curious as to what amp you are using? If you are like me and running your gungnir with the MJ2 I would say that $400 dollars for that contraption would be way better spent on a truly high quality pair of tubes as you would get a much more noticeable change to your sound. Ive tried a few of those type of devices and been unable to tell a difference when running a high quality dac and amp. But some people have different preferences. If you do decide to go that route please let us know your findings. but otherwise i would love to have $400 to blow cuz i would definitely get some crazy good tubes to run.

Oct 22, 2018 at 6:24 PM Post #5,383 of 7,161
So currently rocking an eitr, and modi multibit with a lyr 3 amp. Is it worth upgrading to the gimby? I figure i could sell the eitr and mimby for $300, and can afford the $1k difference for the gumby purchase. I have the Autuer and HD800s so ive been told they can scale well.

Oct 22, 2018 at 6:40 PM Post #5,384 of 7,161
So currently rocking an eitr, and modi multibit with a lyr 3 amp. Is it worth upgrading to the gimby? I figure i could sell the eitr and mimby for $300, and can afford the $1k difference for the gumby purchase. I have the Autuer and HD800s so ive been told they can scale well.
I can’t say the extra cash you’d have to spend would be worth it to you, but for me it was. I went from a LYR2/Mimby to a Gumby Gen 5 with Mjolnir2.
To me the differences were dramatic and I’ve been in musical bliss ever since.

Oct 22, 2018 at 6:41 PM Post #5,385 of 7,161
I can’t say the extra cash you’d have to spend would be worth it to you, but for me it was. I went from a LYR2/Mimby to a Gumby Gen 5 with Mjolnir2.
To me the differences were dramatic and I’ve been in musical bliss ever since.

Interesting. Do you think the amp or the gimby upgrade had more influence? Because im liking the Lyr 3, but when i read through forums, i lose confidence on my opinion

Users who are viewing this thread

Back