Schiit Gungnir DAC
Sep 28, 2018 at 2:07 AM Post #5,356 of 7,093
"Did you buy rutters gungnir", no from Schiit-Europe.
"You guys are lucky to have a shop to go to at all that carries any hifi gear.", if you put it that way I guess we are.
"even if it meant driving a few hours", my country is so small, a few hours drive means getting out the country :.)

"How did you like the V281.", Fantastic, better than the Taurus IMHO (and from memory) but it had 2 disadvantages.

1) It's ugly
2) Since I bought the Taurus mk1 I had more time to listen to it and in my own home setup. It took a couple of days but I totally fell for it. I was afraid that the V281 wouldn't sound as good in my setup as it did in the store.

"but for now I am very happy with my Gumby and MJ2 set up", that is a fantastic combo and I'm still curious like hell how it sounds.

"Are you enjoying the Taurus MKII?", Absolutely! The more I listen to it the more the HDVA600 fades away in the background :.) It is absolutely marvelous with the HD800.
Thats awesome glad to hear you like it. Ive been curious about taurus series. The V281 design is definitely a weird one I mean what the hell do you pair that with that will look aesthetically pleasing. I mean I know looks arent everything but at that price point they should mean something. Also yes gungnir multi and mjolnir 2 combo is just incredible... when it is working anyway haha. For me its by far the best Ive thusfar heard. I always thought tubes would take away from accuracy and detail and might add unwanted noise to the system, but quite the opposite is true. I have never heard such an insanely non exisetent noise floor and such detail clarity. I am hearing things in the background of some of my favorite songs that Ive just never heard before. Granted I am running tube pairs that are in the $200 for a pair range which plays into it a good bit.

Sep 28, 2018 at 2:40 AM Post #5,357 of 7,093
I heard the LCD-4 through a Questyle CMA600i and was very unimpressed. Not a fan of the Audeze lush either, generally speaking. The LCD-X is an exception, the LCD-3 is it. I didn't read many good things about the Mjolnir 2 when I was looking at what amp to upgrade to. Perhaps by spending hundreds more on tubes you might have something, finite. No thanks. I also read one of the recent expensive Chord DACs getting slammed in the terms I described the Mojo. Sort of technical but not very pleasant to listen to.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #5,358 of 7,093
I heard the LCD-4 through a Questyle CMA600i and was very unimpressed. Not a fan of the Audeze lush either, generally speaking. The LCD-X is an exception, the LCD-3 is it. I didn't read many good things about the Mjolnir 2 when I was looking at what amp to upgrade to. Perhaps by spending hundreds more on tubes you might have something, finite. No thanks. I also read one of the recent expensive Chord DACs getting slammed in the terms I described the Mojo. Sort of technical but not very pleasant to listen to.
Man thats nuts about LCD-4 I would have thought it wouldve faired better for ya but I suppose we all have different preffered sound sigs. I did find that tubes play a pretty big role in the sound of the MJ for the short time I have had it. I have some pretty high end ones that I was really enjoying but we shall see how that goes when or if I get the thing fixed.

Sep 28, 2018 at 7:49 PM Post #5,359 of 7,093
Well now I have to go back and eat some words. Thanks to the help of @AuditoryCanvas we were able to determine that the issue with my amp and dac set up was the result of the USB port as now I am running system through a different port on the computer and all is well and heavenly again. Just cant believe I spentf 2-3 hours trying different cables and tubes and multiple configurations and different outlets and not once did I bloody think to change sources or ports. Thanks again AC. The help this forum provides is damn priceless. So thankful I dont have to send my schiit out and wait another month to get it back.

Sep 29, 2018 at 2:01 AM Post #5,360 of 7,093
Well now I have to go back and eat some words. Thanks to the help of @AuditoryCanvas we were able to determine that the issue with my amp and dac set up was the result of the USB port as now I am running system through a different port on the computer and all is well and heavenly again. Just cant believe I spentf 2-3 hours trying different cables and tubes and multiple configurations and different outlets and not once did I bloody think to change sources or ports. Thanks again AC. The help this forum provides is damn priceless. So thankful I dont have to send my schiit out and wait another month to get it back.
Good to hear and I know the feeling.
A few months ago my home network become very slow in uploading data to my NAS. Reading from the NAS was full speed (125MB/s). Long boring story short, I checked everything multiple times for weeks and it drove me nuts. I just couldn't find the problem. Just before I was willing to admit defeat I remembered there was a third switch hidden behind my NAS. Ouch, I walked around for days with a brown paper sack over my face...

Sep 29, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #5,361 of 7,093
Good to hear and I know the feeling.
A few months ago my home network become very slow in uploading data to my NAS. Reading from the NAS was full speed (125MB/s). Long boring story short, I checked everything multiple times for weeks and it drove me nuts. I just couldn't find the problem. Just before I was willing to admit defeat I remembered there was a third switch hidden behind my NAS. Ouch, I walked around for days with a brown paper sack over my face...

LOL! But, you did find the switch!!

Sep 29, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #5,362 of 7,093
LOL! But, you did find the switch!!
Yeah, and it was the culprit. I had a spare switch and problem solved in like 3 minutes. I did reboot my modem and the 2 other switches but more as a default action (like first rebooting your computer before starting to trouble shoot). I didn't know that a simple unmanaged switch could have a seperate problem for inbound or outbound traffic. That's why I focused most of my attension to my NAS and iMac. In fact, I still think its weird. It's like a coax cable that only works if one specific end is connected to your DAC, but not the other way around :.b

Oct 15, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #5,363 of 7,093
My Gungnir multibit arrived today, and I have about 4 hours listening to it. I know people say you need to let it warm up for days, but tbh it is already an improvement over my Bifrost Uber. If it only gets better from here, I am in for a real treat.

I have a Moljnir coming tomorrow. But right now I have gungnir-WA7-HD800s. I am auditioning the hd800s, they came damaged so for sure they are going back. But that is a really sweet pairing. I think it goes to show how competent the amp in the WA7 actually is, it scales pretty well. I never cared much for the internal dac.

Oct 15, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #5,364 of 7,093
Oct 15, 2018 at 1:13 PM Post #5,365 of 7,093
I should post a setup pic once I have everything together. It has been a good year, and I have a lot of new toys on my desk. To bad my desk is almost always covered in whatever I am tinkering with at the time. Heck, I found a blob a liquid metal on my mouse pad when I was moving everything around to make room. I upgraded my computer to a 7940x with a 2080ti.

Oct 17, 2018 at 9:19 AM Post #5,366 of 7,093
My Gungnir multibit arrived today, and I have about 4 hours listening to it. I know people say you need to let it warm up for days, but tbh it is already an improvement over my Bifrost Uber. If it only gets better from here, I am in for a real treat.

I have a Moljnir coming tomorrow. But right now I have gungnir-WA7-HD800s. I am auditioning the hd800s, they came damaged so for sure they are going back. But that is a really sweet pairing. I think it goes to show how competent the amp in the WA7 actually is, it scales pretty well. I never cared much for the internal dac.

Awesome ... this hobby is so cool.
You will love the result when the GMB reaches thermal equilibrium (I certainly do).
And having the options of Moljnir or WA7 will be nice, too.

Happy listening!
RCB

Oct 17, 2018 at 10:54 AM Post #5,367 of 7,093
Awesome ... this hobby is so cool.
You will love the result when the GMB reaches thermal equilibrium (I certainly do).
And having the options of Moljnir or WA7 will be nice, too.

Happy listening!
RCB

It definitely changes once it warms up. I have never experienced such a change in a single piece of gear.

It sounds great.

Oct 17, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #5,368 of 7,093
Indeed. It will get better day by day. It's trippy, in a good way.

Oct 17, 2018 at 8:57 PM Post #5,369 of 7,093
Indeed. It will get better day by day. It's trippy, in a good way.

I honestly thought something was wrong with the Mjolnir. It sounded like a channel imbalance. I have experienced a wide soundstage before, but never like this. It is different, and I am still adjusting to it.

Currently I am using the gumby with balanced out to the mjolnir. I tried using the single ended output to see if I noticed a difference, and I did. Does gumby output higher levels via balanced? It sounds fuller, most noticeable with vocals. I think it might be a volume difference, but I thought I would ask here.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #5,370 of 7,093
More output? Yes. 2v SE, 4v balanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back