Sansa Clip+ Impressions
Oct 21, 2010 at 11:31 AM Post #92 of 317

Quote:
After a little less than a month of waiting I finally received my Sansa Clip+ in the mail. FYI I ordered them from Dell.com--great deal for an 8gb ($40) but I cant believe how long it took.

What I can say about this player is that it is tiny! I love the looks--very simple and minimalistic. It is also a great deal to get a large capacity at such a low price. Microsd cards can be found fairly cheap online so you can make the capacity even bigger!

Now about the sound quality. I was previously using an Ipod nano 2nd gen and I actually prefer the IPOD to the clip. I think the headphone out on the sansa is very weak; but what can you expect from a player so small? I have to put the volume up very high for it to have the same 'oomph' as the nano. Also, the sansa sounds a tiny bit muffled compared to the nano, using the same IEMs and earbuds.

I was expecting to get a step up in sound quality because of the rave reviews of the clip and the ipod bashing that often goes on around here. I find that the sound quality of the clip is on the same level if not worse than the ipod. However, for the slight difference the Sansa Clip+ is still a great deal for a portable dap.

P.S. I have not rockboxed my clip so I dont know if that will make any difference at all with the volume/sound quality.

Ok some points to make here.  I have a Fuze and yes I do find the Vol Level to be low and yes I need to crank it up virtually well past halfway to get a good decent Vol Level, so I also assuming the Clip will be the same.  My solutuon to that was to get a CMOY headphone amp in which my opinion really helped by alot.

Now re SQ and I am not here to bash Ipod or your Nano, but if your using some stock standard Ipod buds than to me your wasting your time, simple.

To me if I were you I would invest in a good pair of headphones or IEM's and a good quality CMOY (they dont cost that much but are well worth it, in my personal opinion.

Once done than compare the SQ between the both.

Good luck !!!

Oct 22, 2010 at 8:30 AM Post #93 of 317

Quote:
Rockbox is great at offering a multitude of user defined settings.  It does not have a 'make my Clip+ turn into a whole different player that crushes everything' setting.  Sorry.

Well mine has that setting. . . . maybe you need a newer build? 
biggrin.gif

Oct 22, 2010 at 10:32 AM Post #94 of 317
Oct 22, 2010 at 12:01 PM Post #96 of 317
Since I've been reading the forums I've heard many great things about the clip+.  I checked it out and really wasn't impressed.  It's a good portable player because it's so small, so maybe for biking or running but everyday use not so much for me to justify picking one up.  

Not a horrible player, just not my cup of tea.

Oct 22, 2010 at 1:08 PM Post #97 of 317
Well Ive tried both with what I consider fairly good IEMs. I still say the clip is a good buy for the price but it is not an audiophile quality DAP. With rockbox the eq is nice and I like that it supports m4a. Even so the sound quality isnt there.

Quote:

Ok some points to make here.  I have a Fuze and yes I do find the Vol Level to be low and yes I need to crank it up virtually well past halfway to get a good decent Vol Level, so I also assuming the Clip will be the same.  My solutuon to that was to get a CMOY headphone amp in which my opinion really helped by alot.

Now re SQ and I am not here to bash Ipod or your Nano, but if your using some stock standard Ipod buds than to me your wasting your time, simple.

To me if I were you I would invest in a good pair of headphones or IEM's and a good quality CMOY (they dont cost that much but are well worth it, in my personal opinion.

Once done than compare the SQ between the both.

Good luck !!!

Oct 22, 2010 at 2:30 PM Post #98 of 317

Quote:
Well Ive tried both with what I consider fairly good IEMs. I still say the clip is a good buy for the price but it is not an audiophile quality DAP. With rockbox the eq is nice and I like that it supports m4a. Even so the sound quality isnt there.

Thank goodness, for a minute there I thought I'd bought a HM-801 killer for $30. 
blink.gif

Oct 22, 2010 at 3:07 PM Post #101 of 317

Quote:
Thank goodness, for a minute there I thought I'd bought a HM-801 killer for $30. 
blink.gif

It does one thing the HM-801 doesn't....gapless playback! And anybody can afford one...so it's a winner in my book. The majority of people who have heard both say they like the HM-801 better....I have not heard one, so I can't compare the two, but if it is indeed better, is there any greater example of the law of diminishing returns?

Oct 22, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #102 of 317
Oct 24, 2010 at 3:06 AM Post #103 of 317
Question:  I understand that the lousy native EQ of the sansa + improves when it's rockboxed.  But... does it get louder?  Or is the volume level unaffected by rockbox?  I, like a lot of people, do really like the SQ of the sansa clip +, but the fairly sizable downside is that the volume level is just a bit too low.  Does rockbox increase it?  Thanks...

Oct 24, 2010 at 3:28 AM Post #104 of 317

Quote:
Question:  I understand that the lousy native EQ of the sansa + improves when it's rockboxed.  But... does it get louder?  Or is the volume level unaffected by rockbox?  I, like a lot of people, do really like the SQ of the sansa clip +, but the fairly sizable downside is that the volume level is just a bit too low.  Does rockbox increase it?  Thanks...

Depends. If you chose "Europe" in the OF it will definitely be louder.
I don't quite get what you guys mean by the clip being not loud enough. Do you mean that they are too quiet even at max volume? I noticed Albinoni mentioned how he has to set the volume well past the halfway mark. But what does that say about anything? As long as you can get sufficient volume before it distorts that's fine isn't it? I can get sufficient volume out of all my phones without being dangerously near the max volume, even if it is well past the halfway mark. Unless you are using some really high impedance full sized cans I don't think there should be a problem with volume.

If you mean that the headphone out is weak and does not power their headphones properly than yeah than I understand. But i get really puzzled when people say their daps have not enough volume. Either they are plugging in their home cans straight to their daps or they are hard of hearing.

Oct 24, 2010 at 3:37 AM Post #105 of 317

Quote:
Depends. If you chose "Europe" in the OF it will definitely be louder.
I don't quite get what you guys mean by the clip being not loud enough. Do you mean that they are too quiet even at max volume? I noticed Albinoni mentioned how he has to set the volume well past the halfway mark. But what does that say about anything? As long as you can get sufficient volume before it distorts that's fine isn't it? I can get sufficient volume out of all my phones without being dangerously near the max volume, even if it is well past the halfway mark. Unless you are using some really high impedance full sized cans I don't think there should be a problem with volume.

If you mean that the headphone out is weak and does not power their headphones properly than yeah than I understand. But i get really puzzled when people say their daps have not enough volume. Either they are plugging in their home cans straight to their daps or they are hard of hearing.

I think you mean Europe is less loud.

Nope, its low.  At 90% of the bar is moderate to just above moderate gain on mine.  It's an issue for us that have dynamics that like juice the Clip+ can't deliver.  This is w/ Euro limiter off.  W/ the limiter on its ridiculously low even w/ BAs.  My hearing is fine according to hearingtest.com or whatever that site is.  My SPL meter says I like to listen at around 76-89db w/ headphones and speakers.  No idea what it would be for IEMs.  Maybe there is a production or FW discrepancy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back