Sansa Clip+ Impressions
Jul 10, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #31 of 317

Quote:
what do you mean by putting the settings on 'high'? All I see is the equalizer, which is set on normal.

Settings->System settings-> Volume

Jul 10, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #32 of 317
It's all about the output. Most of the Sansa's put out 0.5V maximum, that's fine for most IEMs and the HD25-1, but not much else. iPods put out upto 1V (at least the 5.5g does), that's a massive difference. Volume matched, they sound incredibly similar.

EK

Jul 10, 2010 at 10:24 PM Post #33 of 317
Clip+'s FR match well with UM3X to compensate its weaker high. flat response often sound like the bass is reduced which is a way to compensate bass heavy down stream

Jul 10, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #34 of 317

Quote:
The Clip doesnt have a line out, as far as i can see, so a DAC would be useless.

Get the Cowon if you can.

LOL! You diss the Clips and then apparently admit you don't have one or if you do, can't tell if it has a line out!

Seriouly, It's a great little player - I have 3 Cliips and 1 Fuze. Better sound than the new generation iTouch we have. I name no names, but do notice people who have bought big expensive players diss the Sansa players...I guess it's like when I was younger and bought a big expensive car and just 'new' it was so much better than my Honda Civic. Yeh...I realized I was kidding myself and so my last car was a nice little, great handling, fuel efficient Honda Civic. Live and learn.

Jul 11, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #35 of 317
Owned a Sansa Fuze for a bit and thought it sounded better than 2009 iPod Classic when used as a source (and with help from an external amp). The sound signature is on the cool or thin side, but you can install Rockbox which gives you some very nice parametric EQ functions to tweak the FR. Detail retrieval wasn't bad - superior to the iPod, but worse than a Sony X. The HP out straight from the Sansa wasn't that great though - not nearly enough juice.

Jul 11, 2010 at 4:20 AM Post #36 of 317
No, I've got a Clip+ and a J3 -  don't be so quick to judge. The Clip sounds crap next to the J3. I have no inclination to try and amp it via the line out - if indeed there is one, which I remember reading somewhere there isn't - as that would be a little bit like sticking an aircraft engine on your hoover so you can get the little bits of fluff under the sofa easier.

Oh, and I don't drive.

Quote:
LOL! You diss the Clips and then apparently admit you don't have one or if you do, can't tell if it has a line out!

Seriouly, It's a great little player - I have 3 Cliips and 1 Fuze. Better sound than the new generation iTouch we have. I name no names, but do notice people who have bought big expensive players diss the Sansa players...I guess it's like when I was younger and bought a big expensive car and just 'new' it was so much better than my Honda Civic. Yeh...I realized I was kidding myself and so my last car was a nice little, great handling, fuel efficient Honda Civic. Live and learn.

Jul 11, 2010 at 6:01 AM Post #38 of 317
Yeah of course it should be better.  But given that this is a forum where discussion tends to focus on sound quality, there's no point elevating the Clip beyond its merits - its a great little player for the money, but if you're serious about getitng better sound, the Cowon is a much better investment.  If you have mid to high end iems or heaphones, using the Clip with them is like powering a chainsaw with a watch battery,

Jul 11, 2010 at 7:17 AM Post #39 of 317
Using that logic, using high end headphones with a J3 instead of with a $1500 home dac and amp is the same watch battery/chainsaw analogy.   The Clip is a small inexpensive kit.  And it does very well when you accept the limitations you get with a $40 purchase.  When headfiers on here talk about sound quality you do have to read between the lines and understand whether they're talking about a $40 or a $4000 investment.  

Jul 11, 2010 at 7:32 AM Post #40 of 317
Not really. I spent £240 on my 32gb J3 and £300 on my SM3s. That seems like a pretty even match.

The Clip+ cost me £40 for 8gb. The improvements the J3 brings to the table seem worth that extra couple of ton to me.   

Quote:
Using that logic, using high end headphones with a J3 instead of with a $1500 home dac and amp is the same watch battery/chainsaw analogy.   The Clip is a small inexpensive kit.  And it does very well when you accept the limitations you get with a $40 purchase.  When headfiers on here talk about sound quality you do have to read between the lines and understand whether they're talking about a $40 or a $4000 investment.  

Jul 11, 2010 at 7:46 AM Post #41 of 317

Quote:
. The improvements the J3 brings to the table seem worth that extra couple of ton to me.   

And that's the point.  There will always be better and more expensive gear.  Its what sounds good to you for the price you're willing to pay.  I have several sources myself  , Teclast, Cowon Ipod but I still love my little Clip+ for what it does bring to the table.
beerchug.gif

Jul 11, 2010 at 2:27 PM Post #42 of 317

Quote:
No, I've got a Clip+ and a J3 -  don't be so quick to judge. The Clip sounds crap next to the J3. I have no inclination to try and amp it via the line out - if indeed there is one, which I remember reading somewhere there isn't - as that would be a little bit like sticking an aircraft engine on your hoover so you can get the little bits of fluff under the sofa easier.

Oh, and I don't drive.

I would hardly call it being 'quick to judge'. When you say you don't even know if it has a Line-Out...it should kind of make one wonder if you even have one...or if you do, just how familiar with it you are...and therefore how qualified your opinion on it is. But, no harm, no foul.

Jul 11, 2010 at 2:34 PM Post #43 of 317
so....for an example, the price of the clip+ in my region is around 58USD(I know it is overpriced, but hypes do tend to raise the price in some certain region, I thought it should;ve been 40USD), what other DAP is much more worth it than spending my money on a clip+? of course with the consideration that the more expensive the DAP is, the better it sounds...

oh..and I prefer flat sound :D

Jul 11, 2010 at 2:56 PM Post #44 of 317
I just got a Clip+ as a replacement for my Fuze v.2 (returned due to some issues), and the Clip+ sounds thin and veiled compared to the Fuze, weaker, which from everything I've read makes zero sense. Totally caught me off guard. Could just be something with me, I dunno. Same headphones, same source material/file types. I'm mildly freaking out about it. Mildly. 

Jul 11, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #45 of 317

Quote:
so....for an example, the price of the clip+ in my region is around 58USD(I know it is overpriced, but hypes do tend to raise the price in some certain region, I thought it should;ve been 40USD), what other DAP is much more worth it than spending my money on a clip+? of course with the consideration that the more expensive the DAP is, the better it sounds...

oh..and I prefer flat sound :D

It all depends on how much you're willing to shell out for DAP.  The Clip/Fuze are decent for their price and what's available in the market.  They're not the best, but they're quite the bang for the buck.  I've read someone got a Fuze 8GB for $40USD from a sale, for $40USD the Fuze is pretty hard to beat in terms of size, portability, and SQ.  While an ipod touch sounds better, it cost a lot more.  In the end it's up to you if you want to justify the price increase.  The best bet is to try one out and see if you like it.  But just remember, just because you don't like it's not because it's crap, you just didn't like it, and remember how much you paid for it. 

Personally, I am wanting and waiting for a new DAP, while I do like my Fuze, it's not the greatest in the world.  I'm waiting to see what's available.

Quote:
I just got a Clip+ as a replacement for my Fuze v.2 (returned due to some issues), and the Clip+ sounds thin and veiled compared to the Fuze, weaker, which from everything I've read makes zero sense. Totally caught me off guard. Could just be something with me, I dunno. Same headphones, same source material/file types. I'm mildly freaking out about it. Mildly. 

If you can try exchanging it.  It could be you but, then again it could be the Clip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back