RSA SR71b, quad mono balanced. img. 1 & 17 Review pg 32, 34, 68, UPDATED 4/2013 for Improved sound.
Dec 28, 2010 at 6:55 AM Post #498 of 1,194
would it be possible to do a portable rig setup of ipod -> protector (headphone balanced out) -> sr71 (headphone balanced in) -> balanced out JH13? :d

since i already own a protector, it seems fasicinating that using protector balance out to sr71b balance in would give me another experience in portable balance experience...

Dec 28, 2010 at 8:01 AM Post #500 of 1,194

Quote:
would it be possible to do a portable rig setup of ipod -> protector (headphone balanced out) -> sr71 (headphone balanced in) -> balanced out JH13? :d

since i already own a protector, it seems fasicinating that using protector balance out to sr71b balance in would give me another experience in portable balance experience...

You could turn the 71B all the way up, so the volume control would essentially be out of the way and then use the Protector as a balanced preamp. 

Dec 28, 2010 at 8:05 AM Post #501 of 1,194

Quote:
Quote:

You could turn the 71B all the way up, so the volume control would essentially be out of the way and then use the Protector as a balanced preamp. 

But would gain would there be?  The SR71B already takes a single ended input and uses a phase splitter to create the balanced output just like the protector. 

Dec 28, 2010 at 9:45 AM Post #502 of 1,194
Just a note as I found originally when my SR-71B came in, it was set for a balance source.  I didn't notice it originally and actually listened for a day or so with the switch to balance.  For optimum sound, you may want to be sure the input source is set for S/E vs. balance.  While it does play, it is not the best sound.  

Dec 28, 2010 at 1:39 PM Post #504 of 1,194
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

But would gain would there be? 

there'd be quite a bit of gain, especially if both amps are set to 'high gain', considering how much voltage each amp could swing! 
wink.gif
tongue.gif

Dec 28, 2010 at 2:00 PM Post #505 of 1,194

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

But would gain would there be? 

there'd be quite a bit of gain, especially if both amps are set to 'high gain', considering how much voltage each amp could swing! 
wink.gif
tongue.gif

HA-HA funny funny.  Let me rephrase that then.  What benefit would there be,especially since he is uning JH13's?  The SR71B already takes a single ended input and uses a phase splitter to create the balanced output just like the protector. 

Dec 28, 2010 at 2:32 PM Post #506 of 1,194
Considering the SR71B itself is well able to drive the HE-6, one of the most difficult cans to drive, to deafening levels, having the two amps in sequence would be more like the basis for a small audiophile boombox.
wink_face.gif

Dec 28, 2010 at 2:53 PM Post #507 of 1,194
Using 2 amps can produce good results. I remember using a Xin SuperMini + SuperMacro that way

Dec 28, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #509 of 1,194
I first tried this with Xin's amps and then Xin thought he might make a preamp and an amp with no volume control. I converted a SM3 to an amp only, getting rid of the volume control. I liked the results but what is the point of have a preamp, amp, source and then the phones or IEM's. but for home it was fun. I think in general, the less in the signal path the better. It still might be interesting. Oh, I have adapters. I could use a Toucan and the 71B together totally balanced with balanced into which ever one is the preamp. 

edit: tried it. The sound got a little more distant, which was nice but I got some distortion on loud passages. I would guess some over driving. Back to single amp use. Might be interesting to try the Protector and 71B. 

Dec 29, 2010 at 9:56 AM Post #510 of 1,194
The build quality is the best as always. SR71B is thinner and better fit to iPod than SR71A.

I don't have balanced source so I hooked my usual iMod into SR71B. I use balanced Whiplash TWag/SCag with JH16. This is the same setup to my Predator.

Even if the source is not taken from balanced, I feel good amount of improvement from Predator. The expansive sound stage(rather I'd like to say sound space) is even larger than Predator. If I use word "wider" it would sound like 2D but I felt 3D like volume expansion so I used the word "larger". I think Quad-mono surely works here.
Actually this expansive sounding contributes the natural sound representation. Orchestral tracks now sounded like more realistic and life-like.
However I also feel I need a better source for this level of sound. So I am thinking to get Boomslang. Thanks to Jamato your info is helpful to create my sys-concept cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back