RSA SR71b, quad mono balanced. img. 1 & 17 Review pg 32, 34, 68, UPDATED 4/2013 for Improved sound.
Dec 29, 2010 at 12:21 PM Post #513 of 1,194
My portable fully balanced system is...Colorfly, Buffalo-II DAC, SR-71B, battery for the DAC.

It's sound very nice and can drive LCD-2 balanced easily.
But I seldom carry this, because it is heavy.
triportsad.gif

Dec 29, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #514 of 1,194
That is crazy! I bet it sounds as good as many desktop rigs though. What gain setting do you set the SR71B to when you use the LCD-2? 
Also, how much better does it sound by going to the buffalo II and then to the SR71B then by just going through the headphone jack to the SR71B?

Just a quick question about the Colorfly. Does it play 24/96 or 192 files or just upsample 16/44 ones? Thanks.

Dec 29, 2010 at 5:52 PM Post #515 of 1,194
I am listening to Jorma Kaukonen, "Too Hot to Handle". The dynamics and subtle contrasts are excellent. It doesn't get much better than this. Beautiful tonality. The twang of the guitar strings is excellent with no artificial edge. 

Dec 29, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #517 of 1,194
I use the high gain but I can use the medium gain with no problem and plenty of volume control travel. 

I notice that with the optical output of my MacBook Pro I have to reset it each time in MIDI to 24/96 when I start up again from my external HD, when it is off as it reverts to 16/48, which doesn't sound near as good. I am glad I have the option to change the settings and make the most of my higher resolution recordings. 

Dec 30, 2010 at 5:23 AM Post #519 of 1,194

Quote:

Something else to add tonight - with Bink Audio Test CD and my ES5 or JH13Pro custom IEM with TWag balanced cable I'm finding the SR-71b's very deep bass to be rolled off below 30Hz.  While my well burned-in Protector is strong down to 20Hz with both of these IEM tonight, the SR-71b is almost silent at 20Hz and several dB down at 25Hz.  I'm hoping this is just a burn-in issue and that more hours will fix this.  With Bella Sonus album Enamoured, in the first track "From a Standstill" some of the deep bass notes in the intro are missing.  I can hear the notes just fine with my Protector (using Pico DAC-only out of Macbook Pro).

There is no graininess for me, and the SR-71b is a much better match for my ES5 than my Protector.  Previously I preferred the ES5 on the Pico Slim, but the SR-71b is also a very good choice, and it's smoother than the Protector. 

Well, I don't want to post this prematurely but mine seems to have deeper bass extension with my ES5 and JH13Pro in medium or high gain mode.  I'm still burning it it in and would like to wait until it's done before commenting more.  When I first noticed this I was using my Pico DAC as source in low gain setting, and switching to my HDP DAC as source improved it, but then switching to medium and high gain seemed to bring about further improvements.  Strangely, the deep bass extension is not affected by which source I use to feed my Protector.  Amazingly, I can use my ES5 in high gain without channel imbalance or hiss at low volumes, and yet still drive my HE-6 in the same gain setting.  I'm quite happy with the sound so far.

Dec 30, 2010 at 6:43 AM Post #520 of 1,194
Mine has arrived but it's too early to comment on its sound.  The build quality is good, every bit is solid.  I kept referring it as white but it's actually silver in colour.  
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 30, 2010 at 11:53 AM Post #521 of 1,194
Hey guys,
when i listen to my custom earphoens with my mp3 player, usually i use about 2/15 of the volume.

However, when i connect the sr-71b to the mp3 player, and connect iem to the sr-71b, i need to set the sr-71b at like 12 o clock, and my mp3 player at like 6/15.

Is this normal?

Dec 30, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #522 of 1,194

Quote:
Hey guys,
when i listen to my custom earphoens with my mp3 player, usually i use about 2/15 of the volume.

However, when i connect the sr-71b to the mp3 player, and connect iem to the sr-71b, i need to set the sr-71b at like 12 o clock, and my mp3 player at like 6/15.

Is this normal?

I assume you are then using the mp3 player headphone out and using the amp section of the mp3 player to drive the 71B? I would use only a line out, which bypasses the internal mp3 player, if it has a line out. Otherwise, put the mp3 player to max and adjust the 71B to the volume you need. It is the voltage out of the mp3 player that is going to determine how much of an amplified signal the 71B is going to work with and the final volume setting of the 71B. The relation of the volume control on the 71B and the MP3 player doesn't really matter when comparing them. The sound does. 

Dec 31, 2010 at 9:13 AM Post #523 of 1,194
I can hear bass distortion through Hifiman HE-5LE but not Sennheiser HD650.  There is no distortion through either headphones when driven by Protector.  I wonder if SR-71B was overpowering it !  

Dec 31, 2010 at 11:40 AM Post #524 of 1,194
So far I have around six hours of listening on my "b".  The sound in balanced continues to impress me.  Great bass, lots of micro detail, and sound positioning to die for.  The sound is to the level that it has me questioning why I own other portable amps.

When using single-ended, the amp also sounds great with my RS-1, and my earlier comparisons between the b and the original SR71 seemed to be a near tie (which in my book is a win).

I am having a different impression with my single-ended JH13's (I don't have a balanced cable for those yet).  The JH13's usually seem pretty good at telling it like it is since they are (IMO) a very balanced and neutral headphone.  Unfortunately, the b is noticeably thinner and more distant sounding than the SR71 at any gain setting (and of course switched to the proper input mode).  I am pretty disappointed with that outcome...but as stated earlier it's only at six hours of burn-in.  I wasn't planning on burning this amp while not listening to it, but I must admit to being curious if additional improvement is still there waiting to come out.

Dec 31, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #525 of 1,194

thanks jam, don't have a line out on my mp3 player, but soon i'll have all the cables i need to go fully balanced. can't wait to hear how it will sound.
right now, using fully single ended, the highs seem more extended on my iems (a good thing), and bass is more punchy. can't wait to hear how it sounds when i pair it with my balanced dac!

Quote:
Quote:
Hey guys,

Is this normal?

I assume you are then using the mp3 player headphone out and using the amp section of the mp3 player to drive the 71B? I would use only a line out, which bypasses the internal mp3 player, if it has a line out. Otherwise, put the mp3 player to max and adjust the 71B to the volume you need. It is the voltage out of the mp3 player that is going to determine how much of an amplified signal the 71B is going to work with and the final volume setting of the 71B. The relation of the volume control on the 71B and the MP3 player doesn't really matter when comparing them. The sound does. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back