RSA SR71b, quad mono balanced. img. 1 & 17 Review pg 32, 34, 68, UPDATED 4/2013 for Improved sound.
Dec 22, 2010 at 8:48 PM Post #453 of 1,194
I have it hooked up now but only single ended input from my Meridian by means of Grover S cables into a RCA to mini adapter.  I have a custom balance cable being made terminated with balance plug needed.  I am using my balance HE-6s with the Warren Audio X10 balance cable connected to a Whiplash Audio 3 pin XLR to mini balance adapter.  I have the volume set to roughly 1:30 and no sign of clipping.  I pulled out the Radio Shack meter and it was showing roughly 73 to 75 db while listening to the remastered "Band on the Run".  More than enough volume for me with the HE-6s.  

Obviously the SR-71B is just starting its breakin while everything else in the system is fully broken in.  I will update as it breaks in during the holidays.  
normal_smile .gif

Dec 22, 2010 at 10:57 PM Post #454 of 1,194
Thanks for posting your collection! They look so good, and I bet they sound better. If you balance any other cans to use with the SR71B, please post your impressions, because many people have already reviewed the SR71B with the HE-6. In fact, when I heard the SR71B, it was with the HE6. I also tried the HD600s for a minute, and they were almost as good, believe or not. Compared to the HE-6, they had slightly less transparency and air (treble extension), but they were very close. I love how the soundstage on the HDxx can wrap right around your head with proper amping. I don't recall if that happened when I listened to the HD600 on the amp but there is a good chance it did, because the soundstage is definitely one of its strong points.

Dec 23, 2010 at 7:56 AM Post #455 of 1,194

Quote:
Thanks for posting your collection! They look so good, and I bet they sound better. If you balance any other cans to use with the SR71B, please post your impressions, because many people have already reviewed the SR71B with the HE-6. In fact, when I heard the SR71B, it was with the HE6. I also tried the HD600s for a minute, and they were almost as good, believe or not. Compared to the HE-6, they had slightly less transparency and air (treble extension), but they were very close. I love how the soundstage on the HDxx can wrap right around your head with proper amping. I don't recall if that happened when I listened to the HD600 on the amp but there is a good chance it did, because the soundstage is definitely one of its strong points.

The HD600s are one of the most underrated cans out there, especially when TWagged, which elevates their performance way up there across the board.  Out of all the phones I have in my inventory those are the ones I reach for first for a baseline.  When properly driven in that configuration from a quality source/amp, they are amazingly neutral, but not lacking in anything, including bass, which is usually the main criticism leveled against it.

Dec 23, 2010 at 8:41 AM Post #456 of 1,194

Quote:
Quote:

The HD600s are one of the most underrated cans out there, especially when TWagged, which elevates their performance way up there across the board.  Out of all the phones I have in my inventory those are the ones I reach for first for a baseline.  When properly driven in that configuration from a quality source/amp, they are amazingly neutral, but not lacking in anything, including bass, which is usually the main criticism leveled against it.

I have no trouble believing that, after hearing the unTWagged HD600s out of the SR71B. Maybe at a meet I can hear your TWagged HD600s out of a good amp.

Dec 23, 2010 at 10:35 AM Post #457 of 1,194

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I have no trouble believing that, after hearing the unTWagged HD600s out of the SR71B. Maybe at a meet I can hear your TWagged HD600s out of a good amp.

I plan to have them with me, so are the similarly recabled Qualias...of which I regard as the pinnacle--at least to date--what a difference can be achieved by quality cabling, so others who are familiar with the stock Qualia sound signature can also experience it.

Dec 23, 2010 at 11:02 AM Post #458 of 1,194

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I plan to have them with me, so are the similarly recabled Qualias...of which I regard as the pinnacle--at least to date--what a difference can be achieved by quality cabling, so others who are familiar with the stock Qualia sound signature can also experience it.

Great! I would love to hear the Qualias as well through the SR71B.

Dec 23, 2010 at 1:43 PM Post #459 of 1,194
Hi, I noticed that you did not have a protector in your beautiful line-up of RSA Amps, could I know how the Protector sounded in regard with the SR71B with JH16 when the SR71B is connected to single ended input and balanced output please?

I'm planning to get a Protector to go with my JH16, but the SR71B could be a consideration too.

Dec 23, 2010 at 2:22 PM Post #460 of 1,194

Quote:
Hi, I noticed that you did not have a protector in your beautiful line-up of RSA Amps, could I know how the Protector sounded in regard with the SR71B with JH16 when the SR71B is connected to single ended input and balanced output please?

I'm planning to get a Protector to go with my JH16, but the SR71B could be a consideration too.

It's the bottom left one on the picture.  The only recent one that's missing is the Predator, maybe because it's a DAC/amp.

Dec 23, 2010 at 2:33 PM Post #461 of 1,194
Quote:
Mine arrived today but I am only 2 1/2 hours from Ray so FedEx does deliver quickly at times.
Thanks Ray.

[pix snipped - refer to post #451]
2 hornets but no mustang?!? methinks you need to revamp your collection!
confused.gif
eek.gif
wink.gif
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

Dec 23, 2010 at 5:07 PM Post #463 of 1,194
I would really appreciate any comparisons between the SR71-b and the Protector:

1.  With single-ended input and single-ended output

2.  With single-ended input and balanced output

3.  With the 71b in fully-balanced mode and the Protector with SE input and balanced output.

I'm especially interested in comparisons using custom IEMs, Edition 8, HD800, and LCD-2. 

Thanks and happy holidays everyone!

Dec 23, 2010 at 5:10 PM Post #464 of 1,194

Quote:
I would really appreciate any comparisons between the SR71-b and the Protector:

1.  With single-ended input and single-ended output

2.  With single-ended input and balanced output

3.  With the 71b in fully-balanced mode and the Protector with SE input and balanced output.

I'm especially interested in comparisons using custom IEMs, Edition 8, HD800, and LCD-2. 

Thanks and happy holidays everyone!

X2. Any phone except the HE-6, which I have heard and has been pretty much covered already.

Dec 23, 2010 at 5:38 PM Post #465 of 1,194

Quote:

I have several balanced headphones including the Grado HP2s, the AKG 701, the HD600 and the Telsa T1s as well as the JH13Pros.  I will give them all a listen with the SR-71B but I don't expect to be anything but pleased.  They all sounded great with the Protector, the SR-71B should just take them up another notch using a single ended source but with a balance input, I would think it would be indistinguishable from balance with my Apache.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back