RSA SR71b, quad mono balanced. img. 1 & 17 Review pg 32, 34, 68, UPDATED 4/2013 for Improved sound.
Dec 19, 2010 at 9:36 AM Post #422 of 1,194

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Jam already answered that question. Ray sent review units to him, and to me .

Did either of you pay for them?

They're only borrowing them for review.

Absolutely correct.  I do not accept free samples for review, ever.  Review units I get are either returned to the manufacturer, sent to someone else, or on occasion I will purchase them.

I can already tell you that, as good as I feel the SR-71B can be, I will not be keeping the review loaner.  I don't think it's better than the Meier Stepdance when it's used purely single ended, and I personally have no need for a balanced portable amp.  The SR-71B is impressive with the HE-6, but it's not as good as my big home tube amps like the Leben or Decware, and as such I personally don't really have any reason to buy it,

Dec 19, 2010 at 11:42 AM Post #424 of 1,194

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Jam already answered that question. Ray sent review units to him, and to me .

Did either of you pay for them?

They're only borrowing them for review.

Absolutely correct.  I do not accept free samples for review, ever.  Review units I get are either returned to the manufacturer, sent to someone else, or on occasion I will purchase them.

Thanks, skylab.  I wish other reviewers were as clear on this point as you are.

Dec 19, 2010 at 12:48 PM Post #426 of 1,194

Quote:
wouldn't an ipod to balanced input then balanced output to jh-16s be balanced??? 

No, because an iPod analog output from the dock connector is still a single ended source.  You could order a Cyberlabs Algorithm Solo transport to extract digital out straight to a balanced USB DAC thru its SPDIF-out and that would yield a fully balanced output in that configuration...but at a cost of adding yet another device and an additional interconnect.

Dec 19, 2010 at 7:58 PM Post #428 of 1,194

Quote:
@SECT Thanks!

Would i be able to use the Boomslang DAC or Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Solo on my Cowon J3 via single ended output to the DAC?

I believe the Solo is Approved for Mac, meaning it will exclusivley only function with the Apple brand. It takes a digital signal out of an iPod/iPad/iPhone, meaning you can bypass the built in DAC and utilse a higher quality one in the Solo.

I don't know enough about the Cowon products to comment on them, but you should do some reading on the iBasso site about their products (they produce the Boomslang).

Dec 20, 2010 at 12:17 AM Post #429 of 1,194
I cant find any decent specs on the J3, much less a photo showing the outputs. DB1 Boomslang takes 3 digital inputs - USB, coax and optical (Toslink) - and has a single, balanced analog output. Not sure what the possibilities are with digital output on the J3. 

Dec 20, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #430 of 1,194
Quote:
Quote:
@SECT Thanks!

Would i be able to use the Boomslang DAC or Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Solo on my Cowon J3 via single ended output to the DAC?

I believe the Solo is Approved for Mac, meaning it will exclusivley only function with the Apple brand. It takes a digital signal out of an iPod/iPad/iPhone, meaning you can bypass the built in DAC and utilse a higher quality one in the Solo.

I don't know enough about the Cowon products to comment on them, but you should do some reading on the iBasso site about their products (they produce the Boomslang).

It has nothing to do with Mac computers. It is made to extract the signal from, and is approved for, an Apple iPod, iPhone or iPad.

Reading this thread, I can't help think that they missed a real opportunity with the Algorythm Solo. It has a high-end Wolfsen DAC built in. Imagine if they had a balanced out option.

Dec 20, 2010 at 1:30 AM Post #431 of 1,194
Cooperpwc, you are so right.  A few months ago in the Solo thread I specifically asked Vinnie if he would include balance out for the Solo as I can see the trend going for high end balance portable processing.  Unfortunately, Vinnie wasn't interested.  But I still can see new development coming out in the near future to allow such product.  I was hoping the Solo could have two versions, a version without the Wolfson Dac and a version with the Wolfson Dac and balance out.  This leaves a big gap in the chain.  I know Ray is going to put a balance Dac together.  I hope he would combine a high end Dac into the SR71b as that will cut down one extra piece of device to carry.

Dec 20, 2010 at 1:41 AM Post #432 of 1,194

Quote:

I can already tell you that, as good as I feel the SR-71B can be, I will not be keeping the review loaner.  I don't think it's better than the Meier Stepdance when it's used purely single ended, and I personally have no need for a balanced portable amp.  The SR-71B is impressive with the HE-6, but it's not as good as my big home tube amps like the Leben or Decware, and as such I personally don't really have any reason to buy it,

interesting. thanks

Dec 20, 2010 at 3:03 AM Post #433 of 1,194

Quote:
Cooperpwc, you are so right.  A few months ago in the Solo thread I specifically asked Vinnie if he would include balance out for the Solo as I can see the trend going for high end balance portable processing.  Unfortunately, Vinnie wasn't interested.  But I still can see new development coming out in the near future to allow such product.  I was hoping the Solo could have two versions, a version without the Wolfson Dac and a version with the Wolfson Dac and balance out.  This leaves a big gap in the chain.  I know Ray is going to put a balance Dac together.  I hope he would combine a high end Dac into the SR71b as that will cut down one extra piece of device to carry.

yeah I think I might be interested in the advantages of portable balanced as soon as the concept is a bit more refined and the pinacle aspect of 'portable' is properly addressed.

Dec 20, 2010 at 10:41 AM Post #434 of 1,194
For those who are interested:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/529311/review-ray-samuels-audio-sr-71b-balanced-portable-headphone-amp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back