RSA SR71b, quad mono balanced. img. 1 & 17 Review pg 32, 34, 68, UPDATED 4/2013 for Improved sound.
Dec 20, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #436 of 1,194

Quote:
For those who are interested:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/529311/review-ray-samuels-audio-sr-71b-balanced-portable-headphone-amp

Well done review Skylab. Did you try the JH13's or do you have those? 

Dec 20, 2010 at 4:41 PM Post #437 of 1,194
Dec 20, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #438 of 1,194

Quote:
Quote:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/529311/review-ray-samuels-audio-sr-71b-balanced-portable-headphone-amp

Thanks!  But nope on the JH's - I am not an in-ear kind of guy
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 20, 2010 at 4:56 PM Post #439 of 1,194

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks!  But nope on the JH's - I am not an in-ear kind of guy
tongue_smile.gif

Most of the time I prefer a good headphone but I also find I have to have the 13's in my ear for about 1/2 hour for them to start sounding good. It takes that long, even though they fit extremely well, because there is just a little more forming in my ear canal and it takes that, for me, to get to their full potential but that can be a hassle. 

The LCD-2 balanced on the 71b sound exceptionally good. I would call it, very tuneful. 

Dec 20, 2010 at 6:50 PM Post #440 of 1,194
Dec 21, 2010 at 8:56 AM Post #441 of 1,194

Quote:
Most of the time I prefer a good headphone but I also find I have to have the 13's in my ear for about 1/2 hour for them to start sounding good. It takes that long, even though they fit extremely well, because there is just a little more forming in my ear canal and it takes that, for me, to get to their full potential but that can be a hassle. 

I've had the same experience as well.  It takes my JH-13 fit a little while to "settle in".

Dec 21, 2010 at 9:04 AM Post #442 of 1,194

Quote:
Quote:

I've had the same experience as well.  It takes my JH-13 fit a little while to "settle in".

You gotta use them at least every other day for half an hour or more and you don't have that problem.  Not using them for a while will cause your soft ear tissue to revert to its original shape causing the "break-in" procedure to start over again ( the one that occurs when you first get customs).

Dec 21, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #444 of 1,194
Hard to know. There might have been a single part that is holding it up but I don't know if anything has been shipped. Knowing Ray, he would be working virtually day and night. 

Dec 22, 2010 at 1:53 PM Post #448 of 1,194

I am going to do a review on the 71b balanced portable but I like to listen to anything I get to fully flesh out the sound. I will say that what I am hearing is excellent. There is no question that the 71b is able to give substance to voice or instruments from the main players but what is uncanny is that the 71b is also able to give substance and body to the more distant sounds. Rather than a paper cut out effect, which some amps do even for the primary sounds, the 71b renders secondary players voices/instruments with body and placement. The imaging and spacing are profound. Single ended also benefits from the quality of this amp in that it is dynamic and shows the subtle shading between voice and instruments. 

The phones used can be seen in my signature. 

Dec 22, 2010 at 3:12 PM Post #449 of 1,194

Quote:

I am going to do a review on the 71b balanced portable but I like to listen to anything I get to fully flesh out the sound. I will say that what I am hearing is excellent. There is no question that the 71b is able to give substance to voice or instruments from the main players but what is uncanny is that the 71b is also able to give substance and body to the more distant sounds. Rather than a paper cut out effect, which some amps do even for the primary sounds, the 71b renders secondary players voices/instruments with body and placement. The imaging and spacing are profound. Single ended also benefits from the quality of this amp in that it is dynamic and shows the subtle shading between voice and instruments. 

The phones used can be seen in my signature. 

i cant wait. :) i hope we also get a small VS against that other portable balanced bird.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back