RSA SR71b, quad mono balanced. img. 1 & 17 Review pg 32, 34, 68, UPDATED 4/2013 for Improved sound.
Dec 18, 2010 at 3:43 AM Post #391 of 1,194
anyway i've posted on ray's preorder page. Am i supposed to pay now or wait for a pm on headfi or what? Because i checked rays website and it says to pay now??

Dec 18, 2010 at 4:05 AM Post #392 of 1,194
The site says they are shipped in order of who pays, so I would pay now. There is a listing of the total amount due, according to where you are in the world. Read over the page where you put in for the preorder. 

Quote:
anyway i've posted on ray's preorder page. Am i supposed to pay now or wait for a pm on headfi or what? Because i checked rays website and it says to pay now?

Dec 18, 2010 at 4:06 AM Post #393 of 1,194

Quote:
my budget would be up to 1,500$. how would you get balanced to rsa protector cables? Would the da11 make a better choice? i'll be connected by laptop via spdif coax to the dac.

Quote:
Quote:
whats a good desktop balanced source for the sr-71b?

im thinking i'll used single ended from my mp3 player-> sr-71b via mini to mini and sr-71b to iem via balanced cable and fully balanced (balanced source to balanced amp) when im home.

You didn't specify budget.  I'm going to be using an Apogee mini-DAC myself ($700-900 depending on optional firewire or not).  For about half the cost you could get a Cambridge Audio DAC Magic, and for about half that an EMU-0404.

I like the DA11, a lot.  I might get one someday.

As for the cable - http://www.whiplashaudio.com/cables/whiplash-custom-cables/xlr-to-protector-adaptor.html

Dec 18, 2010 at 7:06 AM Post #394 of 1,194
@headphone addict

is that adapter the only place to buy it from? imo 150$ for an adapter seems pretty crazy..1/4 of the price of the amp itself

Dec 18, 2010 at 7:38 AM Post #395 of 1,194

Quote:
@headphone addict

is that adapter the only place to buy it from? imo 150$ for an adapter seems pretty crazy..1/4 of the price of the amp itself

Ray will sell you the connector for under $5.  There are a lot of people building their own similar cables if you have the skills.  Also, Craig's includes some pretty high end cyro-parts XLR.  You probably have $100 in parts plus labor.  

I believe you can also buy or have built a similar cable from ALO or Moon Audio.  There maybe individuals here on head-fi that would build it as well. You could post a WTB ad in the For Sale Forum and see if anyone responds.  

Dec 18, 2010 at 8:55 AM Post #396 of 1,194
You sure Ray will sell such an adaptor for less than $5 ???
Seems to me that there is no way he can even get parts at cost for anywhere near that price.

Dec 18, 2010 at 8:59 AM Post #397 of 1,194
Ray will sell you the CONNECTOR, as Audio Addict said - not the ADAPTER
wink_face.gif

Dec 18, 2010 at 10:24 AM Post #398 of 1,194

Quote:
Quote:
@headphone addict

Ray will sell you the connector for under $5.  There are a lot of people building their own similar cables if you have the skills.  Also, Craig's includes some pretty high end cyro-parts XLR.  You probably have $100 in parts plus labor.  

I believe you can also buy or have built a similar cable from ALO or Moon Audio.  There maybe individuals here on head-fi that would build it as well. You could post a WTB ad in the For Sale Forum and see if anyone responds.  

Similar adapter, yes, not similar cable.  Whiplash is the exclusive distributor for the Cryo-Parts TWag wire, at least for the moment.  There are cheaper $20/ea budget Furutech XLR connectors available so the cost of connectors alone for a DIYer would hover around $50 using those (including some shipping and a single Protector male connector from Ray).  You can use whatever wire you want in building it.  Won't be the same quality, but it will be cheaper.

Dec 18, 2010 at 1:04 PM Post #399 of 1,194
Sky, any update or progress on the SR71b? just want to make sure you are alright?  We were expecting hour by hour comentory
wink_face.gif

Dec 18, 2010 at 1:42 PM Post #400 of 1,194
Dec 18, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #401 of 1,194
Listening with my balanced LCD-2, I am finding the 71b to have the most 3D aspect to sound of any of my portables. Not only are the main singers/voices and instruments well fleshed out but deeper into the mix, there is presence and tangible qualities to sounds. Rather than just part of the mix, sounds that are more distant have an image that has body, which for me, increases the enjoyment of the listening quite a bit. I am finding the 71b to have a very low noise floor as evidenced by the emergence and subsidence of sound back to the source. This imaging is very precise but not static, which gives it a flowing natural nature. 

Flac 24/96 or lossless with optical out to a Sys Concepts 1300 fiber cable, Boomslang balanced dac, 71b, balanced phones

Dec 18, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #402 of 1,194
When I still owned my Protector, I had an adapter I built with the TWag cable using Ray's connector to a Neutrik 4-pin XLR.  I also built one using OFC copper that I use for my other adapters.    Both were the same length, but despite the differences in materials (and costs),  I could hear no audible differences with any of my full-sized cans or IEMs. 

Quote:
Similar adapter, yes, not similar cable. Whiplash is the exclusive distributor for the Cryo-Parts TWag wire, at least for the moment. There are cheaper $20/ea budget Furutech XLR connectors available so the cost of connectors alone for a DIYer would hover around $50 using those (including some shipping and a single Protector male connector from Ray). You can use whatever wire you want in building it. Won't be the same quality, but it will be cheaper.

Dec 18, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #403 of 1,194

Quote:
When I still owned my Protector, I had an adapter I built with the TWag cable using Ray's connector to a Neutrik 4-pin XLR.  I also built one using OFC copper that I use for my other adapters.    Both were the same length, but despite the differences in materials (and costs),  I could hear no audible differences with any of my full-sized cans or IEMs. 

Quote:
Similar adapter, yes, not similar cable. Whiplash is the exclusive distributor for the Cryo-Parts TWag wire, at least for the moment. There are cheaper $20/ea budget Furutech XLR connectors available so the cost of connectors alone for a DIYer would hover around $50 using those (including some shipping and a single Protector male connector from Ray). You can use whatever wire you want in building it. Won't be the same quality, but it will be cheaper.

I believe you, Ron.  Were your headphones and IEMs also TWag-recabled?  Most of mine are, and I can definitely hear a difference on my systems between OFC and silver-based, especially the TWag cables, which is why I usually use that cable where I can.  But on my R10s, which is not recabled but was reterminated by Alex@APS to an XLR4, using a TWag XLR4 female to dual-XLR3 male adapter to my Apache does not by itself alter the sound signature.

As far as the adapters are concerned, there are several alternatives out there for every budget to purchase or build them by skilled DIYers, such as yourself.

Dec 18, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #405 of 1,194
One set of supra-aural headphones and one set of IEMs was recabled with TWag, one was recabled with Black Dragon, and others were stock.  I don't think that the 15" of 24awg OFC alters the SQ of any of my re-cabled or stock phones.  I did a lot of listening to see if I could tell any difference and was unable to detect any.  Perhaps someone with better ears might note a difference.  I am, however, using high-quality OFC shielded microphone cable for my interconnects and silver-solder all the connections. 

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

I believe you, Ron.  Were your headphones and IEMs also TWag-recabled?  Most of mine are, and I can definitely hear a difference on my systems between OFC and silver-based, especially the TWag cables, which is why I usually use that cable where I can.  But on my R10s, which is not recabled but was reterminated by Alex@APS to an XLR4, using a TWag XLR4 female to dual-XLR3 male adapter to my Apache does not by itself alter the sound signature.

As far as the adapters are concerned, there are several alternatives out there for every budget to purchase or build them by skilled DIYers, such as yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back