RSA SR71b, quad mono balanced. img. 1 & 17 Review pg 32, 34, 68, UPDATED 4/2013 for Improved sound.
Aug 17, 2010 at 2:30 PM Post #136 of 1,194

Quote:
I am still very interested in the SR71B. However, given these posts I'm becoming uncertain about the application. If a balanced source is needed to properly use the SR71B won't that negate the portability of its design? Is there a balanced source that is also portable to match the SR71B?

Eventually, I'm sure there will be, in the meantime--based on what I've heard--the new amp will represent an improvement over the Protector in s/e or partially balanced input mode.  Not sure what portable DAC Jamato is referring to, but that would be a start, provided you can get digital output directly into it from a portable DAP so that you are fully balanced in the purist sense, or at the very least balanced from the DAC all the way to your headphones/IEMs.

Now that the word is out that an amp like this will be on the market, I'm betting that other vendors will recognize this as an opportunity and develop new offerings that will take advantage of these capabilities.  

Aug 17, 2010 at 3:39 PM Post #137 of 1,194
Interesting. Based on what I read initially on the NC meet impressions, Ray himself didn't seem to think there was much of an upgrade in the balanced output using a single ended source. Did I read that wrong or is there more impressions out there?

Aug 17, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #138 of 1,194

Quote:
Interesting. Based on what I read initially on the NC meet impressions, Ray himself didn't seem to think there was much of an upgrade in the balanced output using a single ended source. Did I read that wrong or is there more impressions out there?

Devil's Advocate here, but why would he say otherwise? Apparently there are no balanced portable sources, and he just happens to have a balanced portable amplifier that largely sees the best use wasted while the source manufacturers get their act together. If he said it was significantly better as true balanced, less people would buy one until there was a true balanced source. His time and monetary investment sits on a shelf waiting for source development to happen. If he says it's good either way then people buy the amp he has on his shelf and he makes money.

Aug 18, 2010 at 10:11 AM Post #139 of 1,194

Quote:

Please remind me when did I think that, If I did I must have had too much diet cook with lemon or the HOOTER'S girls blew my brain with their beautiful bodies.
Ray

Aug 18, 2010 at 12:05 PM Post #140 of 1,194

Quote:
Please remind me when did I think that, If I did I must have had too much diet cook with lemon or the HOOTER'S girls blew my brain with their beautiful bodies.
Ray

I vote on the Hooter's Girls, I don't think they make that much Diet Coke.

Aug 18, 2010 at 8:11 PM Post #141 of 1,194

Quote:
Ray

Ray, as an (acting) gentleman, I'm not at liberty to openly discuss your thoughts during the Can Fest event, but I venture to state purely on my own behalf, that my preference in both the hOOter's girls and your SR71B prototype would be fully balanced first, and single-ended second, but I would take both of them either way, had there been made available.

Aug 18, 2010 at 8:13 PM Post #142 of 1,194

Quote:

Well, I guess then I was wrong to think that the Protector performed better in balanced mode than S/E from a S/E source.  Like Ray, I must have been distracted by a different kind of presentation.

Aug 18, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #143 of 1,194

Quote:
Devil's Advocate here, but why would he say otherwise? Apparently there are no balanced portable sources, and he just happens to have a balanced portable amplifier that largely sees the best use wasted while the source manufacturers get their act together. If he said it was significantly better as true balanced, less people would buy one until there was a true balanced source. His time and monetary investment sits on a shelf waiting for source development to happen. If he says it's good either way then people buy the amp he has on his shelf and he makes money.

"If you build it, they will come...."

Aug 18, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #144 of 1,194

Quote:

"If you build it, they will come...."

Let's hope so. Unfortunately all balanced amp manufacturers have chosen their own type of XLR connector. Don't think the DAP manufacturers will bother until a standard has been agreed upon.

Aug 18, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #145 of 1,194
Quote:
Let's hope so. Unfortunately all balanced amp manufacturers have chosen their own type of XLR connector. Don't think the DAP manufacturers will bother until a standard has been agreed upon.

I don't really agree. Differences in balanced amp inputs are resolved by the choice of interconnect, not by the format of the balanced DAC out or DAP line out. The impedement to portable balanced sources is market demand which can evolve.

Aug 18, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #146 of 1,194
Besides the aforementioned Sonosax SX-DA2 and the Apogee Mini-DAC?  I have the Apogee and fully intend on using it via its balanced outs to the SR-71B.

-Jim

Quote:

Aug 19, 2010 at 11:34 AM Post #147 of 1,194

Quote:
Well, I guess then I was wrong to think that the Protector performed better in balanced mode than S/E from a S/E source.  Like Ray, I must have been distracted by a different kind of presentation.

I LOVE that pic of Ray.  Classic.  To clarify, I am interested in how the SR-71B sounds in balanced output mode using a single ended source as compared to the sound of the Protector balanced output using a single ended source.  Is the SR-71B an improvement over the Protector in this scenario? My wallet hopes the answer is No.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back