RSA SR71b, quad mono balanced. img. 1 & 17 Review pg 32, 34, 68, UPDATED 4/2013 for Improved sound.
Aug 3, 2010 at 7:40 PM Post #108 of 1,194
Sounds like a lot of crying to me.  It's not that hard to reach into your pocket, turn one knob, then turn the other.  =

Aug 4, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #109 of 1,194
I used two at home on a Quicksilver Full Function preamp for a long time and still have the pre. No problem. For portable, I don't think it is a problem and worth it to those who have an imbalance in hearing. While my hearing is fine, I don't see it as an issue. Great sound is an issue and I look forward. Rock on.. :^)   from Kolonia, Pohnpie, Micronesia 

Aug 4, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #110 of 1,194

Quote:
For portable, I don't think it is a problem and worth it to those who have an imbalance in hearing.

Typically people with an imbalance in hearing often don't even realize it due to the brain's ability to acclimate over time.  It seems for someone to truly appreciate this feature, it would have to be someone with a moderate to severe hearing imbalance.  

Aug 5, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #111 of 1,194
I have even had recordings that were pulled to one side or another. Being able to pull them out of a right or left out of balance would be nice. Just put a band from one volume control to the other once adjusted and they will turn in unison. 

Aug 15, 2010 at 2:01 PM Post #112 of 1,194
Any updates on this amp out there?

Also, is there anything we could plug into the amp that is portable & balanced? 

Would there be any benefit to say, an iPod LOD with a balanced connector?

Aug 15, 2010 at 2:32 PM Post #113 of 1,194
iBasso has a portable balanced DAC that should be out shortly. That should work with this. Not truly portable, but powered by a USB port is the HRT Streamer Pro. Those are the only balanced DACs that come to mind with much in the way of portability...

Aug 15, 2010 at 8:54 PM Post #115 of 1,194

Quote:
It seems that your criticisms of the Protector and the SR71b stem more from a theoretical  place, rather than hearing the amp. Engineering can come up with many good, but different solutions to a problem.

Are you reading what you just typed?

You just said the equivalent of "I don't care if the manufacturer is lying about what is in his product. If it sounds good, I'll pay whatever he wants." In the grand scheme, the sound really is the final reason to buy or not to buy something. However, we shouldn't just blindly accept anything told us, even if the end result is a good product. Those marketing terms might not have meant anything to you because perhaps you heard it first before buying, but to someone new to the product unable to hear the unit before buying.. those buzz words create an artificial value for the item, whether it deserves it or not. This isn't fair to anyone.

Saying it's OK to claim you can make a balanced signal from an unbalanced signal is wrong for any reason, even if it sounds amazing.

Aug 16, 2010 at 1:28 AM Post #116 of 1,194
Actually Headrooom's top of the line balanced amp (the BUDA) also has the ability to create a balanced HP out from a single-ended source. The interesting question (IMHO) is: What advantages are there to using a balanced signal over the single-ended split and invert option? A lower noise floor should be one. Are there others?

Aug 16, 2010 at 12:31 PM Post #117 of 1,194
Sorry about the poor quality photos.  These were taken at Can Fest Charlotte, NC Saturday using the current working prototype of Ray's new amp board.  The case design has not yet been completed at the time of the event.

Note that it the volume control and the current PCB design may change subject to ongoing development process.  The final version may not feature the existing volume controls but an integrated one which may allow simultaneous manipulation of both output channels.  It's TBD at this point.

I did spend considerable time, courtesy of Ray, with this one listening from both balanced (Meridian G08->B52 XLR-to Protector Loop mode->SR71B balanced input) and later S/E input (Ray's own iPod Classic strapped to the prototype).

Brief, brief impressions:  Balanced mode provides a giant soundstage and a sound quality that I have not heard from any portable amps yet, including the Protector.  I was, frankly, blown away.  Listened using a balanced JH16 Pro and Ray's HD600, TWag X recabled (both using Protector balanced plugs).  The amp has loads of power with a quad-Li-ion battery pack.  The complexity of the design is approximately 3 times to that of the Protector and that will no doubt result in higher price levels purely based on higher component costs.  Pricing has not been determined yet, but it will definitely be higher than the Protector.  From what I have heard--depending on the actual price of course--a 30-40% price premium would be well justified, and I'd have gladly paid that much even for the naked prototype if Ray was willing to sell it to me.  He was not, unfortunately.  It was that good.

Comparing it with the Protector using the iPod proved to be more challenging, but in the end, I still heard improvements.  Interestingly, Ray needed to be convinced of this, but I kept insisting based on what I have heard, so he finally admitted that he made improvements in the output stage as well over the Protector design.  It sounded mighty good even from that standard iPod, but the sound stage had narrowed down somewhat, as expected from the balanced configuration.

Bottom line: I suspect that this amp, when completed, will be a signature Ray Samuels product in the portable space.  How do we get portable balanced sources?  One solution would be to persuade Craig@Whiplash audio to build custom iPod/iMod/WhipMOD LODs terminating into a 4-pin balanced male Protector plug and, there, we would have a fully balanced portable solution.  Just a thought, but with this amp, I wouldn't have it any other way, because the sound stage improvement is just so significant.

Hmmm....fully balanced and portable.  Who would've thought?  
ksc75smile.gif

Aug 16, 2010 at 2:27 PM Post #118 of 1,194
Hi Warp, 

Thanks for your early impressions. Like many, I've been anxious to hear what it sounded like. Quick question: from your post it seemed like the most dramatic improvements over the Protector came from the balanced input. Is that right? Would you suspect that it would not be worthwhile to upgrade from the Protector without a balanced source? Thanks!

Edward

Users who are viewing this thread

Back