RSA SR71b, quad mono balanced. img. 1 & 17 Review pg 32, 34, 68, UPDATED 4/2013 for Improved sound.
Aug 20, 2010 at 2:02 PM Post #151 of 1,194
Since the case hasnt been designed, can i make a suggestion? I dont know if this is part of the design language but Ray is there a reason that the vertical panels (front, back) of the protector are asymmetrical, one has a larger area than the rest of the case, and even the backplate. is there anyway that you could make it all flush? i know it seems like the last thing to be thinking about but it proves irksome when pairing with devices and having a "lip" bend components. also, what about engraved branding instead of paint (the paint on my protector wore off, both the black (on the "lip") and the name)?

Aug 27, 2010 at 1:21 PM Post #152 of 1,194
i have to say i'm having trouble getting super excited for this amp... it's output power is only slightly better than the pb1 toucan and is likely to be near DOUBLE the price, if the price of the protector is any indication. anyone else feeling similarly?

unless this amp somehow destroys things like the toucan, protector, mustang, and stepdance (all top performers in the portable amp arena) in sq then how is it worth it?

i don't mean to condemn it before anyone has posted detailed impressions, i'd love to be blown away

Aug 27, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #153 of 1,194
Not everything is going to be a quantum leap but it would seem that with 4 individual channels, plenty of current and voltage, that something exciting will come out of this. I look forward. 

Aug 27, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #154 of 1,194

Quote:
I have even had recordings that were pulled to one side or another. Being able to pull them out of a right or left out of balance would be nice. Just put a band from one volume control to the other once adjusted and they will turn in unison. 

haha that would be a nice DIY project for someone...come up with a teethed rubber band like a timing belt for the two knobs.

Aug 30, 2010 at 11:11 PM Post #156 of 1,194

Quote:

Speaking of Hooter's waitresses... apparently the one serving my table was hiding two portable amps in her blouse because I could clearly make out the two volume pots....  cough cough.

Now that is sick, very sick.
beerchug.gif

Aug 31, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #157 of 1,194
Hi, Ray, what is the time table for the release of the SR71b? and if you compare the SE input and balance out between the Protector and SR71b, what is the difference? Thanks.

Aug 31, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #158 of 1,194

Quote:

Speaking of Hooter's waitresses... apparently the one serving my table was hiding two portable amps in her blouse because I could clearly make out the two volume pots....  cough cough.

not to call out what you saw was real or not..but i think that might have just been a radio unit. the one i have @ work are like that (used in conjunction with earpiece). One pot is for Channel/Station, Other is Volume.

Sep 1, 2010 at 9:20 AM Post #159 of 1,194

Sep 1, 2010 at 10:26 AM Post #162 of 1,194
Captfantastic obviously was, but it seems to me that Xan7hos somehow missed it...

Anyway, back on topic, I stopped by Ray's shop yesterday (I don't live very far away) to listen to the SR71b prototype.  I was very impressed.  That thing can swing a LOT of voltage.  The design isn't fully locked down (almost, but not fully), so I am not going to review it until it is.

Sep 1, 2010 at 10:39 AM Post #163 of 1,194

Quote:
From a purist sense, John, you are absolutely correct.  I am hoping, however, that even a "partially" balanced solution achievable from a portable source would produce at least some of the benefits the Meridian/B-52 combo fully balanced input has achieved.  Similar to the Protector benefiting in splitting the output stage into balanced mode vs. s/e mode, only at the input stage.

So I have a question... when you use a SE input it flips the + to create a balanced signal right?  If the amp thinks it is getting a balanced input with a + and - already when the -'s are a shared ground, would it skip that part or what?

Sep 1, 2010 at 1:09 PM Post #164 of 1,194
Can't wait for the review Skylab, well have to see how it competes with the new Meier portable.  Balanced versus SE I know... but the Meier has the balanced ground so it would be fair.

Sep 1, 2010 at 1:46 PM Post #165 of 1,194
That is a comparison I plan to do, for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back