RSA MUSTANG P-51 . little amp BIG sound . image 1, 28, 30, 55, 59, 61 Reviews, 30, 34 . Post images . Monitors pg 1
Dec 13, 2008 at 3:29 AM Post #407 of 1,220
I could post them to the first page under a heading there. I like the Ultrasone 750's and the Edition 9 and Porta Pros for portable.

Dec 13, 2008 at 3:40 AM Post #408 of 1,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why don't we get a list of high synegy headphones:

RSA Mustang + Ultrasone Edition 9 =
eek.gif

Dec 13, 2008 at 3:52 AM Post #409 of 1,220
My new needs some run in time. . . well we all know this. . . Hey its all good.

The thing I like about the Ed. 9 is not only do I enjoy the sound but I can dissect what an amp is doing faster than with any other headphone. They are so clean sounding that the 9's reveal everything.

The red is darker than before, as on the Predator and I really like it. The black body with dark red face and rear plate is very classy looking.

Dec 13, 2008 at 4:17 AM Post #410 of 1,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by yihyan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mind to share how it outdo predator? and i guess you are comparing a out-of-box Mustang with a fully burned in predator?

Unfortunately I don't have the Predator with me anymore so it's impossible for me to do a real side by side comparison.

I was so excited to try the amp yesterday that I decided to test it right away with my preferred song from Pink Floyd (Wish You Were). After 2 minutes I had tears in my eyes and from what I remember it was the first time that I had that kind of experience (eargasm?) with my Edition 9, the mids with this amp are simply out of this world
eek.gif

I love the amp so much that I have decided to use it temporarily as a desktop amp with my Marantz CD player.

The Predator is also a very good amp but this one is clearly a step above for my tastes.

My Little Dot MKV Dual Mono will probably be on sale tomorrow.

Dec 13, 2008 at 4:38 AM Post #411 of 1,220
use the money from the LD sale for an offboard DAC for the Marantz.

Speaking from experience, it gets MUCH better. If budget is an issue, Opus or modded Zhaolu....then the path to balanced happens very quickly.

Dec 13, 2008 at 5:15 AM Post #412 of 1,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why don't we get a list of high synegy headphones:

Personally,
Audio Technica ESW9 with or without mods
Sony CD1000 w/ mods

Others have mentioned
FreqShow
UE Customs
Westone 3's
ESW10's

Agree with Jamato on the P-51 nicely powering the HD600's (high gain setting). Maybe a bit more punch, but these changed least of all, to my ears.

P-51 even livened up SR325i's (more bass impact, and they seemed even more "immediate" and "live" than with the Tomahawk.

They're not getting much press lately, but the SE530's definitely like being paired with the Mustang too - (tightened up the bass, and seemed to open / sweeten the mids & highs a bit)

(a/b comparisons: 800+ hr. Tomahawk / 80 hr. Mustang)

Dec 13, 2008 at 5:18 AM Post #413 of 1,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by SierraHotel01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agree with Jamato on the P-51 nicely powering the HD600's (high gain setting). Maybe a bit more punch, but these changed least of all, to my ears.

P-51 even livened up SR325i's (more bass impact, and they seemed even more "immediate" and "live" than with the Tomahawk.

They're not getting much press lately, but the SE530's definitely like being paired with the Mustang too - (tightened up the bass, and seemed to open / sweeten the mids & highs a bit)

(a/b comparisons: 800+ hr. Tomahawk / 80 hr. Mustang)

So is there any one of these or all of them that you would call synergistic with the 51?

Dec 13, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #416 of 1,220
I used to have a pair of 325i and they would not suit P51 (ditto Klipsch Images, and 32ohm Darths), even with flats, IMO. The pleasant surprise for me is how P51 (mind you, I'm at 75 hours on P51) synergizes with v.3 Darths (those are at the bottom of my Darth pile and I WAS tempted to sell them). Mind you, I also block the open hole next left side yoke pivot. While I expected/hoped the pairing would work well - it is exceeding my prognostications. In terns of bass - it is very controlled, yet has a sense of even more profound depth. Mids and treble are brighter, cleaner and have a more lifelike SQ. Source is a Alum. MacBook with this amp.. For me, the P51 is a keeper......alongside a Xin Supermini (use Images here), and a Xin Reference (primarily use 32 ohm Darths here, and Grado RS-1 [sometimes], [X-Deep Darths stay in the house]).....still waiting on Pico amp/dac.....waiting.....

Dec 13, 2008 at 5:57 PM Post #417 of 1,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So is there any one of these or all of them that you would call synergistic with the 51?

Jamato,

Just did a quick refresh a/b (Tomahawk / Mustang) test on W3's, SE530's & SR325i's (my HD600's are at a friends). Used Bella Sonus (Sin Ti & Gypsy) as reference tracks.

W3's synergy with Mustang is heart-stopping (stunning differences between plugging them into my Tomahawk vs. Mustang. They sound great through the Tomahawk, but they REALLY come "alive" with the Mustang.)

SR325i's: noticeable improvement (fuller, with more sparkle / articulation), but nowhere near the improvement noted with the W3's. The 325i's (in comparison to the W3's) sound a bit "hollow" and much "less refined": a steak knife vs. a scalpel.

SE530: this was a surprise. They changed the least in going from Tomahawk to Mustang. (Surprised me). The bass tightens up a bit, and I guess the overall image has a bit more "sparkle" but I had to go back & forth a few times to convince myself that the changes were 5x less than when comparing the W3's on the two amps. (Compared to the W3's they sound much less refined and less articulate).

Conclusion: W3 + Mustang = super synergy!

(I still spend a lot of time just shaking my head, staring off into space, when listening to the W3's through the Mustang)

Dec 13, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #419 of 1,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gberg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jamato, do the UM2s match nicely with the Mustang?
And does anyone have some AD900s they can test with it?

If I don't push the UM2 too far in with my triple cut down to 2, I get very good air and openness. Yes then they work very well together. I have not tried the UM2 and foams with the Mustang because I like the more open sound of the Shure type ear piece.

Westone 3 added to list. Are there any good buys on the Westone 3 anywhere? I read some of the reviews. There seems to be those who like them and those that do not. I wonder if it is about fit or preference or both? I like out of the head listening, after having fine speaker systems for years and enjoying live music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back