RSA MUSTANG P-51 . little amp BIG sound . image 1, 28, 30, 55, 59, 61 Reviews, 30, 34 . Post images . Monitors pg 1
Dec 12, 2008 at 7:27 AM Post #391 of 1,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by SierraHotel01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it sweeting up on you?

Haha, I'm not careful enough to write a burn-in diary. But it does improve, smoother and smoother. I still use it with my big cans though.
Haven't got many chances to listen extensively cos my balanced amp steals all the time I got for music
smile_phones.gif

p/s did you get the stuff?

Dec 12, 2008 at 7:33 AM Post #392 of 1,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by MarcusL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, Skylab's review was really interesting. "The best RSA portable" is really a HUGE statement. But I'm just wondering if this is due to the P51's power. Take note that Skylab didn't use IEMs so perhaps the results were more on the power to handle the cans used for the review. Could it be that the results will vary if IEMs come into play?

No, I don't think it's the power to drive cans. Actually, I have the opposite experience with my P-51(70 hrs burn-in). It drives my IEM(FreqShow, ER4S) very well with good power and definition throughout the entire spectrum. However, driving the HD580(300ohms) is a different experience. It has the clarity but sounds thin especially on the lower registers. Bass has the definition but lacks that thump most noticeable on desktop amps. Listening through my IEM's though, I got to agree with Skylab it sounds very good. Comparing it to my iQube it has more dynamics and bass thump plus more upper end energy, but same treble extension. I still give the mid neutrality to the iQube. Voices just sound more natural with the iQube. I feel like the P-51's vocal presentation has a tinny bit of a sharp edge to it. Granted I only have 70 hrs of burn-in, the amp may change more.

Dec 12, 2008 at 8:25 AM Post #393 of 1,220
Good to know flargosa. Coz I'm really looking at this amp for iems.

monsieurguzel, amazing looking setup there. The Nano / P51 / W3 is also my target setup. Maybe I'll throw the Cryo LOD in there.

Dec 12, 2008 at 8:39 AM Post #394 of 1,220
Thanks a lot! I am currently looking into LODs right now and don't know which one to choose...so many choices!!! Any recommendations on a dock that would be good quality and not bulky while costing less than $100?

Dec 12, 2008 at 8:52 AM Post #395 of 1,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by monsieurguzel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks a lot! I am currently looking into LODs right now and don't know which one to choose...so many choices!!! Any recommendations on a dock that would be good quality and not bulky while costing less than $100?

Send a PM to Lil' Knight, for a custom LOD within your budget.

Dec 12, 2008 at 10:38 AM Post #396 of 1,220
X2 on Lil Knight. If you click on his Flckr album link in his sig, you'll see his craftsmanship. I also recommend ALO Audio, one of our sponsors. There's a link on the left side of this page.

Dec 12, 2008 at 5:57 PM Post #399 of 1,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by dadozen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would the P-51 be a step up over the SR-71A?
evil_smiley.gif

IMO, this is the real question that no one seems to be considering. It only makes sense to compare Ray's most current offerings to each other and see how they do when compared.

The Predator is a different kind of product, offering a DAC in the same enclosure, but my experience has been anyone looking for a portable amp only should look at other products in the RS line-up.

Dec 12, 2008 at 6:07 PM Post #400 of 1,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by uberburger101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got my Mustang today, and I bought my ESW10JPN.
biggrin.gif
Will let them burn-in together, they seem to like each other.

And after both have been fully done, you'll have a hard time separating yourself from them. That's why I'm still up at this hour with my over 100hr Mustang and 3 day old esw10...

Dec 12, 2008 at 6:37 PM Post #401 of 1,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by dadozen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would the P-51 be a step up over the SR-71A?
evil_smiley.gif

Interesting...I was jut pondering this exact question this morning. I just received my P-51. The size is just astonishing. It is also just starting on the burn in process so take that into consideration. The short answer is that I consider the SR-71A to be THE reference in portable sound. 5.5g iMod>ALO iMod gold/jumbo dock > SR-71A > UE11...I can't tell you how many times I have thought that portable sound cannot get any better than this. Very first listen to the P-51 it falls well short of the SR-71A.

I will of course give it the burn in time and try it with some other IEMs. Not to say it is not a great amp as I think it will be. However, I typically find that burn in slightly changes or refines a sound but the essence of the sound remains. So typically I find if I like something right out of the box then burn in will just further enhance that. If I don't enjoy something out of the box then burn in can help, however I typically find I don't end up with the product long term.

I can say that the SR-71A sounded so good to me out of the box I didn't care one bit about burn in. I didn't want to be without the amp. The P-51, I have no remorse about being without it while it burns in...

Dec 12, 2008 at 8:34 PM Post #402 of 1,220
I think the 71A does a great job with the HD650's but I also think the P-51 does. I don't hear any of the thinness mentioned with the 650's and it powers my Ed. 9 with wonderful authority. My UM2 IEM's are quiet and sound about as good as I have heard them. I am finally getting some solid meaningful bass and clean highs (UM2). Many interesting amps coming down the pike.

There is something to be said for the voltage swing of the 71A Blackbird.

I am having withdrawals. I had to send the loaner Mustang back for the New York meet. I woke up this morning shaking and had a hard time putting my headphone on. I have ordered a 51 with black body and red end plates but its not here, . . . yet. . . I am having a hard time typing right now. I take care of people in ICU that go through drug and alcohol withdrawal but I am not sure it is the same. I tried a mock 51 by covering another amp with a box and telling myself that the headphone were hooked up to the 51 but I couldn't stop the shaking so I can only assume it didn't work. . . . . Oh my other amps are good but each has its own voice. . . . can't type any longer. . . .

Just got a knock at the door. I live on the 3rd (top floor) of the complex and knew after hearing a low growl and then distant thuds of steps that it must be a delivery. A knock and I opened the door, startling the Fedex guy. Wow, you guys delivered it today and it wasn't scheduled until monday, you're great. Yeah I often get the packages out before due so I won't have such a busy Monday. Nice guy? UPS sure doesn't do that.

Still shaking, amp not broke in . . . Hey it's all good. :^)

Dec 12, 2008 at 11:49 PM Post #403 of 1,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by digihead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very first listen to the P-51 it falls well short of the SR-71A.

I thought the same thing, but after 30-40 hours of burn in, the P51 sounds great. They're both different and I have no qualms about listening to either one.

Dec 13, 2008 at 1:36 AM Post #404 of 1,220
A question on burn-in on the Mustang. I'm up to about 24 hours of burn-in. Should you let it "rest" for awhile between sessions? I know with the Xin Reference it is suggested to let it run for, say 12 hours, then turn it off to let the caps form. Are you doing this with the Mustang also?? Just curious

Dec 13, 2008 at 1:42 AM Post #405 of 1,220
I just let if run but turning it off from time to time does help the cap to form faster. I also think it has to do with the battery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back