Roll Call for Team AKG
May 11, 2019 at 12:59 PM Post #1,486 of 1,537
Different strokes. I like tubes. Since I already own a good tube amp and picked up an old school K701 for $100.00,I couldnt be happier with the sound,esp for the price.

Oddly,the Sextetts sound so much better to my ears out of a solid state vintage receiver than they do out of an OTL.

I have tube amps too. 100 is about the max i would pay for a 701. Might have to be drunk.

May 11, 2019 at 1:08 PM Post #1,487 of 1,537
Take a K812 and modify it with the 3D mesh from the K872 and you'll get a headset that outshines the K/Q7xx series!

May 12, 2019 at 1:57 AM Post #1,489 of 1,537
Oh yeah, I have those too. The K240M is a reliable and popular studio can but may not excite you like the sextett or the DF, which are both pretty special.

I don't want to list all the AKG i have had (most of them are in my profile) but the only other vintage AKG that you might want to give a miss are the K250 and K260 Pro, though some say that there are many versions of the K250 and some of them are good? I actually have the version that was OEM for Radioshack and they sound muddy at best.

K270 Playback are pretty awesome too. I haven't heard the K280 Parabolic.

Well the K260 is a very good headphone but it's fallen under the radar and it has some quirks. First off it sounds nothing like the K240M
I read a lot about K280 Parabolic and it seems like a big failure for AKG... So I lost my interest. I read some about K250 and K260... In conclusion (to my understanding) if you have a Sextett you may have the best all arounders for the similar design series of AKG (I mean 240-250-260 line, correct me if I am wrong for K240 Sextett (MP) vs K260). The only one headphone which I will be adding in the future is an K240 DF (I need to see a cheap listing first, than I will jump). Anyway, thanks for suggestions.

I have moved to another city for weekend and is it possible to move without the audiophile gear? :k701smile:

PS: Bottom photo is from my insta story...

Well the K240M and the K260 sounds very different. K240 has that vintage classic warmth, relaxed sound with a fantastic mid range. The k260 is much more neutral, almost like the K500 but maybe not as refined. I would say that the K260 is a better monitoring headphone than the K240 since the 240m is much to warm for that purpose.

There are some quirks with the K260 though. It does not have a single sided cable entry, which is annoying. 260 is also much more brittle in the build. Cheaper plastics. It also has a different type of headband suspension. It's still elastics but it does not work the same as the 240 range and is not as easy to fix ( but it is possible ).

So i would say that owning both the K240M and the K260 makes up for a rather complete little collection since they both sound so different.

May 13, 2019 at 1:44 PM Post #1,490 of 1,537
Every few months I take my K612s out and remember just why I love them so much. They were basically my daily driver for several years, across multiple purchases. I'd sell them off, then regret selling them and buy them again. I have them listed for sell, but man, I'm wavering.

They just have a certain character to them that my other headphones don't have, and I can't really nail down what it is. Outside of that something, they still tick a lot of boxes. Great bass extension and control, large soundstage, great imaging, just enough treble detail and sparkle, they're superbly comfortable, and they're very modestly priced.

I was always a little disappointed that they never caught on as the go-to recommendation for mid-fi open headphones. I think they're every bit the equal to the HD600/650, despite being priced well below them.

There was a point where people swore by the K501, saying it was a better headphone (versus the K601, anyway), but I never really felt that way. Having owned the K501s for a time, I was pretty happy to sell them off. They were too bright, too shouty, and had very poor bass extension. They were good with very specific music, but at their best I still didn't think they were as good as the K601.

May 13, 2019 at 1:48 PM Post #1,491 of 1,537
Every few months I take my K612s out and remember just why I love them so much. They were basically my daily driver for several years, across multiple purchases. I'd sell them off, then regret selling them and buy them again. I have them listed for sell, but man, I'm wavering.

They just have a certain character to them that my other headphones don't have, and I can't really nail down what it is. Outside of that something, they still tick a lot of boxes. Great bass extension and control, large soundstage, great imaging, just enough treble detail and sparkle, they're superbly comfortable, and they're very modestly priced.

I was always a little disappointed that they never caught on as the go-to recommendation for mid-fi open headphones. I think they're every bit the equal to the HD600/650, despite being priced well below them.

There was a point where people swore by the K501, saying it was a better headphone (versus the K601, anyway), but I never really felt that way. Having owned the K501s for a time, I was pretty happy to sell them off. They were too bright, too shouty, and had very poor bass extension. They were good with very specific music, but at their best I still didn't think they were as good as the K601.

My K500 sounds much thinner with the somewhat worn out stock pads. Now i run the pads from the Q701 and i feel that that's how they probably would sound when new. The lowend seems properly tuned with the 701 pads and way to lean with the old stock pads.

May 13, 2019 at 1:58 PM Post #1,492 of 1,537
I had a friend that owned the K500s, and I put some decent time on them. I liked them more than the K501. I can't remember much about them, but I remember them being more laid back.

The K501 were borderline stressful to listen to. There was a sharp rise in like... The whole upper half of the mid range, it felt like.

May 15, 2019 at 3:21 PM Post #1,493 of 1,537
I have recently published a thread about vintage AKG gems! Many photos there! Please check it out!
LINK:https://www.head-fi.org/threads/vin...-k400-k340-k240-sextett.906832/#post-14955791

Vintage AKG Comparisons by Baycode (24).jpg

May 20, 2019 at 5:01 PM Post #1,494 of 1,537
I've been trying to reign in the chaos of my office / workshop at home lately. Unearthed a lot of headphones i haven't listened to in years. I hoard 'em like some kind of vintage headphone dragon - whatchu gonna do about it?

Anyway, my cat was trying to take a nap in here and was complaining about the Danny Brown i was listening to so i switched to headphones with the only headphone amp that is currently hooked up: an Objective2 plugged into the wall with a 16vac supply.

I'm surprised how respectable the bass is on my early production K240-M hooked up to basically any amp with any nads at all, just have to push them kinda forward on my head. The kind made with Sextett parts but with just filter patches instead of the passive radiators and of course no grillwork to protect the passives that aren't there.

The pads on these are kinda flat but not stiff, and i don't have any foam discs in 'em. When i put these away there weren't high quality protein leather pads from chinese vendors like there are now, and i was sick of calling up Harman Pro NA and waiting 6-12 months for parts.

Guess i have to order some more bits.

May 23, 2019 at 8:39 PM Post #1,495 of 1,537
Was messing with my Realistic Pro-50 today. The aluminum trim on one side had come loose, so i pulled out some "dragon skin" double-sided tape - pretty much carpet tape, you know, double sided tape that is intended to keep your rug from sliding around. Double sided duct tape, though this one says it removes cleanly so i guess double sided gaffer tape? Fabric and goo.

6 little tabs of that between the vents got the trim stuck back on.

I noticed that side I'd done that on had less of the bad resonance that has always bothered me with these, so i popped the trim off the other side and did that one too.

Also installed some thin foam sheet between the baffle and the back of the cup on both sides.

I still don't love them, but i don't hate them as much.

Amp at this time is my CK2III built with Sanyo output transistors.

May 31, 2019 at 3:36 PM Post #1,496 of 1,537

I agree the K612s are great, I just preferred the K7XX to them though. Honestly, the K6/K7 family is every inch the equal of the HD6-line but with a lot less hype pushing them.

Jun 4, 2019 at 7:39 PM Post #1,497 of 1,537
Added to the K240 family parts that are available on thingiverse.

Replacement spacer for the "rubber loop" p/n 2040M03030 with a channel for a commodity hair elastic. Since a card of black snagless hair elastics costs less than qty1 2040m03030.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3672871

Jun 13, 2019 at 1:16 PM Post #1,500 of 1,537
Team AKG! I’m definitely in!!

K812
K712
K7XX
K701
K240 DF
K501
K550
M220
K3003i

Welcome to the team @KyungMin !

I see very nice collection there. Would like to read some comparisons between K7XX and HD58X / HD6XX.

Since I am curious about K240DF and knew that it's a detailed sounding headphone (on the high and mid-high range) would love to read something about them more. How does it sound compared to K501 and K7XX ?

What is the ranking for your collection (soundwise)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back