The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jul 22, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #1,906 of 87,664
Good analysis. I think you are right about how we are looking at it from a different point of view. I am even more interested in the reborn and maybe even the Solaris 2020 to compare them all to see which bass I like the best.

Reborn needs EQ to sound its best to me (but so did Z1R & Solaris for that matter). IMHO in a lot of ways Reborn is precisely what I think a lot of people who weren't quite 100% satisfied with either Solaris or IER Z1R were looking for. Relative to Solaris Reborn has better sub-bass and isn't missing a bunch of presence in the upper mids. Relative to IER Z1R it has a much more satisfying mid-bass/lower mid presence & transition and IMHO Reborn has a much more satisfying midrange response on the whole than either the Solaris or the IER Z1R. I think you would like Reborn a lot and would be very curious to hear your thoughts on it.

That may be a trifecta of their own with the Traillii, Isabellae and Reborn.

Those 3 plus Dorado as a bassier indulgence (which happens to work better as an "out and about" IEM) would be my end-game fantasy right now. Sadly it's presently hard for me to imagine a set of circumstances whereby I could attain a Traillii...one can dream though lol

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #1,907 of 87,664
Reborn needs EQ to sound its best to me (but so did Z1R & Solaris for that matter). IMHO in a lot of ways Reborn is precisely what I think a lot of people who weren't quite 100% satisfied with either Solaris or IER Z1R were looking for. Relative to Solaris Reborn has better sub-bass and isn't missing a bunch of presence in the upper mids. Relative to IER Z1R it has a much more satisfying mid-bass/lower mid presence & transition and IMHO Reborn has a much more satisfying midrange response than either the Solaris or the IER Z1R. I think you would like Reborn a lot and would be very curious to hear your thoughts on it.

Those 3 plus Dorado as a bassier indulgence (which happens to work better as an "out and about" IEM) would be my end-game fantasy right now. Sadly it's presently hard for me to imagine a set of circumstances whereby I could attain a Traillii...one can dream though lol
This whole discussion of trifectas made me think about the best 3 IEMs from a single brand. In my minds eye, there are a lot of good ones. Rather than cluttering up your thread, I'll create a new one. I'd like to know what are people's favorite 3some from a single brand.

Jul 22, 2021 at 3:35 PM Post #1,908 of 87,664
Sky Blue Honeydew

EA8D05B0-0F38-4393-9C4E-9F71C0729333.jpeg
The balanced cable for my Honeydew arrived. Love the colour combo.

Jul 22, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #1,909 of 87,664
Sky Blue Honeydew

EA8D05B0-0F38-4393-9C4E-9F71C0729333.jpeg
The balanced cable for my Honeydew arrived. Love the colour combo.
that looks like one of those underwater camera casings. The Honeydew could be the first under water IEM.

Jul 22, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #1,910 of 87,664
that looks like one of those underwater camera casings. The Honeydew could be the first under water IEM.

I won't make the mistake of jumping in before I also procure the world's first underwater DAP.

In other news here is something that sounds absolutely tops on Honeydew:

Jul 22, 2021 at 5:59 PM Post #1,911 of 87,664
Isa does R.E.M's Murmur right. Tasty and thumping. I want to export all of Isa's midrange to every other IEM I hear.
IMG_5541.jpg

Jul 22, 2021 at 6:18 PM Post #1,912 of 87,664
I want to export all of Isa's midrange to every other IEM I hear.

Indeed. In this regard it more than holds its own with greats like Ely, Traillii and VE8 and even has a few tricks of its own up its sleeve that none of those IEMs can match.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2021 at 6:48 PM Post #1,913 of 87,664
graph.png

reborn does look a bit more attractive from a FR perspective

Jul 22, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #1,914 of 87,664
OK, I need to smash OG Solaris and Isabellae together for my perfect all rounder IEM. Maybe that's Percivali?
Solaris bass extension +1, holographic stage, and treble detail +1, if I can get it. And Isa's upper mid's all the way down through the lower mid-bass.

Jul 22, 2021 at 9:01 PM Post #1,915 of 87,664
OK, I need to smash OG Solaris and Isabellae together for my perfect all rounder IEM. Maybe that's Percivali?
Solaris bass extension +1, holographic stage, and treble detail +1, if I can get it. And Isa's upper mid's all the way down through the lower mid-bass.

I'm not sure about Perci but the Reborn with a bit of EQ is a nice mashup of some the best of Solaris & Isa. I don't think Solaris' bass extends any deeper than Isa's-- I think Solaris' thinner BA mids make it easier to perceive the bass extension. I'd be interested in your thoughts on the Reborn.

Jul 22, 2021 at 9:13 PM Post #1,916 of 87,664
Funny story. In the words that follow every time you see a word censored it's this:

Screen Shot 2021-07-22 at 6.07.05 PM.png

A couple weeks ago I ordered a **** cable from Aliexpress and posted about it here. I noticed, to my surprise that the word **** was censored in my post. Amusingly I thought maybe Head Fi assumed the word was implied as a form crude slang IE., "Wow he really took it up the **** when that guy lowballed him on that IEM." I forgot about it until today when I posted about my new **** cable and Honeydew at Headfi.org on FB. After a few minutes I got a notification that my post had been removed because apparently Head Fi doesn't allow the use of the word **** on any of its servers due to some out of hand shilling in year's past. You learn something new every day.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2021 at 10:13 PM Post #1,918 of 87,664
Funny story. In the words that follow every time you see a word censored it's the following word:

Screen Shot 2021-07-22 at 6.07.05 PM.png

A couple weeks ago I ordered a **** cable from Aliexpress and posted about it here. I noticed, to my surprise that the word **** was censored in my post. Amusingly I thought maybe Head Fi assumed the word was implied as a form crude slang IE., "Wow he really took it up the **** when that guy lowballed him on that IEM." I forgot about it until today when I posted about my new **** cable and Honeydew at Headfi.org on FB. After a few minutes I got a notification that my post had been removed because apparently Head Fi doesn't allow the use of the word **** on any of its servers due to some out of hand shilling in year's past. You learn something new every day.
I just dug into the history of this the other day, @Slater has a post that explains all of this shady stuff:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/knowledge-zenith-kz-impressions-thread.698148/post-14135342

As far as the expression "Wow he really took it up the **** ..." that's yin-YANG, not **** right?

Jul 22, 2021 at 10:14 PM Post #1,919 of 87,664
As far as the expression "Wow he really took it up the **** ..." that's yin-YANG, not **** right?

It is yes which is why I wasn't quite sure what to think when the word **** was censored.

Jul 23, 2021 at 12:16 AM Post #1,920 of 87,664

Users who are viewing this thread

Back