Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Jul 29, 2008 at 5:49 PM Post #4,636 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by richierich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Zero is great for pre-amping because of the changeable opamps.

Sorry for being a noob, but what does that mean? So you use it as a DAC, then it sends an unamped signal to your amp, then to your speakers/cans. Where does the opamp fit into this?

Thanks!

Jul 29, 2008 at 7:59 PM Post #4,637 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garret Jax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry for being a noob, but what does that mean? So you use it as a DAC, then it sends an unamped signal to your amp, then to your speakers/cans. Where does the opamp fit into this?

Thanks!

Hello!

You can read about Opamp on the linke below.

Operational amplifier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jul 29, 2008 at 8:36 PM Post #4,638 of 9,388
Quote:

CUSTOMS FTL?

My Zero DAC has shipped and according to Hongkon Post, "The item left Hong Kong for its destination on 28-Jul-2008". I assume it only takes a few days to get to the US; I live in San Francisco. But will it sit in customs for a few weeks, or are they speedy about it? I just want to know if I can expect it by Saturday, or if it may take weeks.

Thanks for sharing your customs experiences, amigos.

Usually sits in Customs for a day, if the paperwork is correct...it's out the door pretty quick. Be patient you'll have it soon enough
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Jul 29, 2008 at 8:40 PM Post #4,639 of 9,388
Quote:

Date # Location Delivery Status
19-Jul-2008 Hong Kong Item posted.
19-Jul-2008 Hong Kong In transit.
21-Jul-2008 Hong Kong Processed for departure.
21-Jul-2008 Hong Kong The item left Hong Kong for its destination on 22-Jul-2008
23-Jul-2008 United Kingdom Arrived and is being processed.
23-Jul-2008 United Kingdom In transit.
24-Jul-2008 United Kingdom Arrived the delivery office and is being processed.
24-Jul-2008 United Kingdom Delivered.

Mine arrived the day after entering the country. If there was any hold-up at customs, it was sorted in a day.

~Phewl.

Jul 29, 2008 at 8:47 PM Post #4,640 of 9,388
Quote:

Thanks!

When you engage the button control on the front next to the volume control...it serves two functions. With your headphones plugged in it acts like a headphone amp, turn volume down to zero...unplug your phones and presto the analog outs are now a variable volume level pre-amp to drive an amplifier for stereo system (using the front vol control)....etc..disengage the pre/headphone function and the Zero reverts back to a fixed output level DAC. Pretty cool.....

The opamps in both sections can tailor the sound to the pre or headphone outs (same amp, different locations). When in DAC mode, only the main pcb opamp (be it HDAM or OPA627...etc) has influence over the sound at the analog outputs....

Lots of flexibility with the little bugger
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Jul 29, 2008 at 9:11 PM Post #4,641 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by davve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello!

You can read about Opamp on the linke below.

Operational amplifier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

OK, so the DAC processes the digital stream and produces an analog out; at this point, the signal is not 'line-level' and so the pre-amp amplifies it to line-level, then the analog line-level signal is sent to your amp. Correct? So the only people who would use this as a pre-amp are people who need it's DAC functions and its amplification to line-level functions for use with, say, a traditional 2-channel power amplifier.

Jul 30, 2008 at 6:04 AM Post #4,644 of 9,388
Going to be picking this up very soon, and just wondering, anyone care to post for a link to Lawrence, whether his e-mail or e-Bay? Searching through a thread this long is a akin to a nightmare. Most likely going to get the HDAM module, and anyone know how it would fare with a tube amp?

Jul 30, 2008 at 8:24 AM Post #4,646 of 9,388
Thanks SLUSHIE,
I will order this thing from Wang when he finally resolves the issue with the missing OPA627 in my Zero.
Another question though.
Are you using it with the toslink cable that came in the package?

Jul 30, 2008 at 11:36 AM Post #4,648 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by ccschua /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would like to use zero for preamp only. I have been waiting for this mod. but I am totally noob in this, almost.

Bypass job
For the lazy people who don't want to install tubes - the easy SNIPIT bypass job is to:
1. Remove the existing RCA sockets and install the proper Gucci jewellery.
> If I use it for DAC section, can I ignore this.

2. Lift the MINUS leg of 1st and 3rd decoupling capacitor - see picture of four Silmic caps in one row. (can be 2nd and 4th as well).
> How to know 1,3 or 2nd and 4th. also how to know if its Minus or Plus.

3. Wire the lifted minus leg to the RCA
> To which pin ? if used for DAC section, can i ignore this.

4. Don't forget to add ground to the RCA's
again for DAC section, should I ignore this.

5. Remove opamp from sockets.
> ok just remove.

6. If unused - remove the Headphone section altogether.
> I will remove this.

I've been looking at that for close to a month and still not confident of the necessary equipment and steps to perform it. Hope some one can help us out, especially on the caps. Some folks here have done it so would appreciate some advice.

Just for clarification, we're not going for the tube
wink_face.gif

As far as my understanding goes:

1. The RCA is the only output in the pre-amp role. You have to replace + upgrade it. However, what are good sockets ?

2. Judging from the 3rd pic on the Lampization mod page, the shaded area where one of the legs of the caps land is the MINUS. It doesn't really matter which way you look at the caps (left to right or right to left), just make sure the caps chosen are ALTERNATE.

3. Wire MINUS leg to the RCA Signal Pin. Question is , which is the LEFT and RIGHT channel ?

4. Question is , wire to which GROUND on the pcb?

5/6. I'm looking to keep the headphone section so that means going by the "traditional upgrades" of the 2+1 opamps.

There are more instructions on the page actually:
1. The "treble killing brown 220p caps" are to be removed. Or should they be upgraded instead ?

2. "tantalum caps are ... added in parallel to the electrolytes which power up the DAC and the receiver"
Whoa... this kinda means we'll have to remove board and add to the underside ?

3. "four critical caps to be upgraded - power to the DAC and receiver."
Any good recommendations for what kind of caps be good ?

For refererence, the page again :
Lampization Mod

Jul 30, 2008 at 12:32 PM Post #4,649 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by coolchu001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Penchum, did you use the OPA627BP or AP? Now there seems to be the more superior version OPA627BM (but not dip version)... Have you tried that?

Hi!

BM? Humm. I've got a set of verified BP's and a set of AU's, but I've not heard of the BM's before (at least not in an Opamp).
smily_headphones1.gif
Do you have any info on them, or a link??

The old AP vs. BP never really had a clear winner. Depending on the headphones used, some liked the AP better, even though there were plenty of folks reporting the BP was better. It's not hard to guess they sound very similar to each other.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 30, 2008 at 1:25 PM Post #4,650 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by azncookiecutter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Going to be picking this up very soon, and just wondering, anyone care to post for a link to Lawrence, whether his e-mail or e-Bay? Searching through a thread this long is a akin to a nightmare. Most likely going to get the HDAM module, and anyone know how it would fare with a tube amp?

Hi azncookiecutter,

The "HeadFi Deal" Lawrence is selling (New Zero + 2 OPA627AU's on adapter + 2 LT1364's) can be had for $139+$41 ship, if you email him at lawrencechanbig@msn.com and tell him you are a member of HeadFi, and ask him for the Zero with the "HeadFi deal". He'll send you a PayPal payment notice, and you pay with this. You can also ask him how long before he gets the HDAM modules back in stock.

Hopefully, he'll be able to sell you exactly what you need. I would recommend the "HeadFi deal" because of the better Opamps, if he isn't going to have the HDAMs in stock for a while, and you don't want to wait.

The Zero with the HDAM, works very well with separate tube amps. I have tested mine with each of my tube amps with great results. I have also tested it with my MKV SS headphone amp, and the results are fantastic. No matter how you slice it, the HDAM represents a clear SQ improvement over Opamps.

The cost of the HDAM will keep some from purchasing it and that is OK too. The "HeadFi Deal" Zero has excellent SQ and keeps the Zero at a ridiculously low price point, which has been one of it's strengths since the beginning.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back