Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Jan 31, 2008 at 6:17 PM Post #1,201 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I think it has but Im probably going to upgrade to XtremeMusic.
xtrememusic_1.jpg

So I need the coaxial cable and some kind of adapter, ASIO?
It`s not possible to connect the soundcard to the zero with just one cable?

Anyway, I looked at ebay and I didnt see any Zero DAC`s for sale.
frown.gif

Looks like Davve has you covered on the ebay thing. Both the Audigy2 and the X-Fi have the flexi-jack, the top one in the pic. The adapter I'm talking about is a simple little thing, has a female RCA on one end and mini male on the other, it is mono. I got mine at radio shack for like $1. You can use a single RCA cord if you don't have a coaxial handy, but they are not as heavily shielded as a coaxial cable is.

Jan 31, 2008 at 6:31 PM Post #1,202 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by davve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay can you help me out wich i can use in hp amp and dac.
I have one 1361CN8, one 1361CN8#PBF, one 1469IN8#PBF, two 1364CN8#PBF. some is named CN8 and IN8 whats the diffrent if gonna order i want the hole name becouse there seems to be diffrence.

Sure. The ones to order are always CN8 or CN8#PBF. The #PBF means "lead free" and they are identical to the ones without it (except no lead).

The leading Opamps so far (this changes as more combo's are tried) have been: One LT1364 in the DAC on the mainboard, and two LT1469s in the Headphone board. I'm sure you are going to get more, so based on what you have, I'd put one LT1364 in the DAC on the mainboard, and two LT1361s in the Headphone board. This will sound pretty good until you can get the LT1469s for the headphone board.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 31, 2008 at 6:40 PM Post #1,203 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure. The ones to order are always CN8 or CN8#PBF. The #PBF means "lead free" and they are identical to the ones without it (except no lead).

The leading Opamps so far (this changes as more combo's are tried) have been: One LT1364 in the DAC on the mainboard, and two LT1469s in the Headphone board. I'm sure you are going to get more, so based on what you have, I'd put one LT1364 in the DAC on the mainboard, and two LT1361s in the Headphone board. This will sound pretty good until you can get the LT1469s for the headphone board.
smily_headphones1.gif

Okey thanks! are there any diffrence in sound if they are lead free? so its okay that i use one lead free and one not lead free? So i should have two LT1469CN8#PBF in headphone amp?

Jan 31, 2008 at 6:55 PM Post #1,204 of 9,388
Quote:

Okey thanks! are there any diffrence in sound if they are lead free? so its okay that i use one lead free and one not lead free? So i should have two LT1469CN8#PBF in headphone amp?

Correct. No difference between the Lead and no Lead. You can run them in the headphone board, no problems. It would be the best combo so far to have the LT1469's in the headphone board.

Jan 31, 2008 at 7:28 PM Post #1,206 of 9,388
Quote:

Is anyone, who live in EU country bought this from ebay?

Just wondering do I have pay any custom fees?

I live in sweden and i didn't have to pay customs i was glad for that
biggrin.gif
on the package it was marked as gift and value was HK$1000. and drescription what was in the package, 1 piece audio processor.

Penchum how do i remove the opamp easiest way? it seems to be stuck i just remove it with my fingers?

Jan 31, 2008 at 7:54 PM Post #1,207 of 9,388
Quote:

Is anyone, who live in EU country bought this from ebay?

Just wondering do I have pay any custom fees?

The Zero was delivered to Germany by TNT, no customs duty.

Jan 31, 2008 at 8:16 PM Post #1,208 of 9,388
Quote:

biggrin.gif
on the package it was marked as gift and value was HK$1000. and drescription what was in the package, 1 piece audio processor.

Penchum how do i remove the opamp easiest way? it seems to be stuck i just remove it with my fingers?

Ah lucky you, I got it today and had to pay customs
frown.gif

Jan 31, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #1,209 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Henmyr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah lucky you, I got it today and had to pay customs
frown.gif

I know that hurts, when i got my DV i had to pay customs. What was written on your package i only had luck?

Jan 31, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #1,210 of 9,388
Quote:

I know that hurts, when i got my DV i had to pay customs. What was written on your package i only had luck?

It was marked like yours: "it was marked as gift and value was HK$1000. and drescription what was in the package, 1 piece audio processor."

I didn't have to pay anything for my ms2i when I got them, so I think it's mostly luck or bad luck.

Jan 31, 2008 at 8:49 PM Post #1,211 of 9,388
Quote:

biggrin.gif

If you have a pair of needle nose pliers, you can carefully grasp the chip at both ends, only exert enough force to slightly wiggle it up and out. Always the least amount of force.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 31, 2008 at 8:53 PM Post #1,212 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you have a pair of needle nose pliers, you can carefully grasp the chip at both ends, only exert enough force to slightly wiggle it up and out. Always the least amount of force.
smily_headphones1.gif

If you have a pair of needle nose pliers <--- what is that? a forceps that you pull out nose hair with?

Jan 31, 2008 at 9:05 PM Post #1,213 of 9,388
Received my free samples today from Linea Technology, not bad since they said up to 14 days and it's been 2.

They didn't include the LT1364 for the dac so I am stuck with just the 2 LT1469CN8#PBF in the headphone amp at the minute. I used needle nose pliers to remove the old op amps as it was fiddly to get my fingers in their. I'm going to wait a week to see if they forward the LT1364 on separately before I buy one but so far so good.

I've got about 12hours use on the Zero now, i think it's sounding better now although this may all be in my head as I can't specifically pick out the differences not being a audiophile. Drums seem clearer, bass is getting deeper and songs with acoustic guitars you can hear the strings being strummed quite clearly.

Jan 31, 2008 at 9:07 PM Post #1,214 of 9,388
Quote:

If you have a pair of needle nose pliers <--- what is that? a forceps that you pull out nose hair with?

180px-Needle_nose_pliers.jpg

Although something might this might do
AluminumTweasers.jpg

Jan 31, 2008 at 9:29 PM Post #1,215 of 9,388
Received my Zero today :)

Seems to work fine, using an discarded CD-player as burning device.

But as always there is an but..
the Coax led indicator goes on and off.. does not seem to influence the audio output, but it's extremely annoying.. (if i wanted an Light organ i will buy it separate..) As earlier indicated by an user the diodes are way to strong for my taste,, (also some are bright green while one other are more blue-greenish)

The volume knob was also broken (only the plastic thingy the potentiometer works fine.)

but I'm happy..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back