Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Feb 1, 2008 at 8:04 AM Post #1,231 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seba /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have now listened various music with DY2000 metal in the DAC and I like the sound so far. Nicely detailed and smooth. I will try later those OPA627's again if they were just overheated and sounded bad.

Did you use two OPA627 on an adapter? What you describe sounds like what others have described while putting only one OPA627 in a socket.

Feb 1, 2008 at 8:53 AM Post #1,232 of 9,388
Yes I have them in browndog adapter. Too bad I didn't have enought time to audition them properly.

Feb 1, 2008 at 11:23 AM Post #1,233 of 9,388
I downloaded Creative's Console Launcher and put the X-Fi to output 96 kHz of sampling rate. Absolutely no hissing when I set music to pause and turn my Little Dot all the way up.

BTW I'm using OPA2604 right now because the DY2000 produced some hissing in highest notes. This OPA2604 doesn't sound bad at all with tube-amp.

Feb 1, 2008 at 3:09 PM Post #1,234 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seba /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I downloaded Creative's Console Launcher and put the X-Fi to output 96 kHz of sampling rate. Absolutely no hissing when I set music to pause and turn my Little Dot all the way up.

BTW I'm using OPA2604 right now because the DY2000 produced some hissing in highest notes. This OPA2604 doesn't sound bad at all with tube-amp.

I agree. The OPA2604 may not be the "top" pick, but for pre-out of the DAC, it works well driving other amps.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 1, 2008 at 5:27 PM Post #1,235 of 9,388
my zero is still burning in and my nose hair is gone
wink.gif
I am not a audophile because i can't hear diffrence between my DV and zero amp.

Feb 1, 2008 at 6:01 PM Post #1,236 of 9,388
There is something wrong with my DY2000 too, I put it again in the Zero and it still has hissing or maybe distortion sound in upper notes.

I have contacted Lawrence about this, hope everything works out.

Feb 1, 2008 at 6:22 PM Post #1,237 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by davve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wink.gif

With the DV332, I hear a very noticeable difference. Everything is more relaxed, without the "flatness" and middle "glare", and it is also more dynamic and more controlled and deep in the bass, playing with bigger authority.

Feb 1, 2008 at 7:49 PM Post #1,239 of 9,388
well initially I had promised my self that i should use the stock opamps the first 100 hours.. but my patience is more or less non exciting. So. after 20hours with the stock opamps I have now changed to opa627 in the dac and 2xLT1364 in the amp section.
The biggest difference is in the bass region, which in my case using the stock opamps where more or less non existing. with the upgraded ops the bass i there, but still has some way to go..

Feb 1, 2008 at 7:51 PM Post #1,240 of 9,388
got mine about 2 hours ago

sounds much better than i thought it would, i love this thing.

had to break out the audigy 2 zs plat. pro though because it arrived quicker than i thought and had no adapter for the x-fi
frown.gif

sounds great though, using DT770/80s

Feb 1, 2008 at 10:52 PM Post #1,241 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well initially I had promised my self that i should use the stock opamps the first 100 hours.. but my patience is more or less non exciting. So. after 20hours with the stock opamps I have now changed to opa627 in the dac and 2xLT1364 in the amp section.
The biggest difference is in the bass region, which in my case using the stock opamps where more or less non existing. with the upgraded ops the bass i there, but still has some way to go..

Yes indeed, it is tough to sit on your hands for 100hrs.
biggrin.gif

It's ok though. If the upgrade was mostly what you were after, then you'll just complete the 100hrs with different Opamps. If you get bored this summer, pop in the default Opamp and give a listen.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 1, 2008 at 10:54 PM Post #1,242 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by magnetiq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
got mine about 2 hours ago

sounds much better than i thought it would, i love this thing.

had to break out the audigy 2 zs plat. pro though because it arrived quicker than i thought and had no adapter for the x-fi
frown.gif

sounds great though, using DT770/80s

Congratulations! Let us know how it goes!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 1, 2008 at 10:59 PM Post #1,243 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by davve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wink.gif

With the upgraded Opamps, and feeding the DV through the Zero, I'm not surprised. Several have commented in the past that the sound is more like a tube amp in the Headphone side. How many hours do you have on the Zero?

Feb 1, 2008 at 11:01 PM Post #1,244 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by nor_spoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With the DV332, I hear a very noticeable difference. Everything is more relaxed, without the "flatness" and middle "glare", and it is also more dynamic and more controlled and deep in the bass, playing with bigger authority.

Hey man, I forgot what Opamps you are running in the Zero?
See ya!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 1, 2008 at 11:03 PM Post #1,245 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by spookygonk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why, was your nose hair affecting the sound?
biggrin.gif

He had SERIOUS nose hair, it took needle nose pliers to get'em out of his ears!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back