Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Jan 31, 2008 at 9:38 PM Post #1,216 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by davve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you have a pair of needle nose pliers <--- what is that? a forceps that you pull out nose hair with?

LMAO!!
biggrin.gif
Sorry Davve! The pic above is a needle nose plier. A chip puller would be best, but most folks don't have one. If your fingers are small enough, you could do it that way. Mine are just too big.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 31, 2008 at 9:43 PM Post #1,217 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Received my Zero today :)

Seems to work fine, using an discarded CD-player as burning device.

But as always there is an but..
the Coax led indicator goes on and off.. does not seem to influence the audio output, but it's extremely annoying.. (if i wanted an Light organ i will buy it separate..) As earlier indicated by an user the diodes are way to strong for my taste,, (also some are bright green while one other are more blue-greenish)

The volume knob was also broken (only the plastic thingy the potentiometer works fine.)

but I'm happy..

The flashing coaxial light means something. Email Lawrence and ask him, and tell him about the volume knob, to see if he'll send you one. I have replaced mine with better knobs from Parts ConneXion because I don't like the guitar style knobs.
rolleyes.gif

Jan 31, 2008 at 9:46 PM Post #1,218 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The flashing coaxial light means something. Email Lawrence and ask him, and tell him about the volume knob, to see if he'll send you one. I have replaced mine with better knobs from Parts ConneXion because I don't like the guitar style knobs.
rolleyes.gif

Will send him an email and ask.
although.. as of right now the lights gone.. (only the coax indicator the others works fine..)

Jan 31, 2008 at 9:49 PM Post #1,219 of 9,388
Quote:

LMAO!!
biggrin.gif
Sorry Davve! The pic above is a needle nose plier. A chip puller would be best, but most folks don't have one. If your fingers are small enough, you could do it that way. Mine are just too big.
smily_headphones1.gif

biggrin.gif
i found a pliers like pic 1. It was easy to remove the opamp
cool.gif
now i'm tesing LT1364 in dac and connected my DV to lineout. Its sounds gooood!

Jan 31, 2008 at 9:52 PM Post #1,220 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by davve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif
i found a pliers like pic 1. It was easy to remove the opamp
cool.gif
now i'm tesing LT1364 in dac and connected my DV to lineout. Its sounds gooood!

Thats great! I suppose you could pause and pull some nose hairs with it, but maybe you'd get all of them in one pull!!
eek.gif

I'm glad it's all working out.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 1, 2008 at 12:42 AM Post #1,221 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by king756 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Received my free samples today from Linea Technology, not bad since they said up to 14 days and it's been 2.

They didn't include the LT1364 for the dac so I am stuck with just the 2 LT1469CN8#PBF in the headphone amp at the minute. I used needle nose pliers to remove the old op amps as it was fiddly to get my fingers in their. I'm going to wait a week to see if they forward the LT1364 on separately before I buy one but so far so good.

I've got about 12hours use on the Zero now, i think it's sounding better now although this may all be in my head as I can't specifically pick out the differences not being a audiophile. Drums seem clearer, bass is getting deeper and songs with acoustic guitars you can hear the strings being strummed quite clearly.

Yeah, I also got 2 1469's but did not get my 2 1364 nor my 2 1361's. Do you think they are out or just sending everything separate? I got the 1469's on Monday (1/28) but nothing since. I ordered all samples at the same time.

I want to get all before I open it up and do my testing!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 1, 2008 at 1:30 AM Post #1,222 of 9,388
It's time to remove the sunglasses
cool.gif
... my Zero LED Mod:

1) Unscrew the LED circuit board.
2) Remove the following 3 resistors and solder 4.7kOhm 1% resistors into the empty places.
3) Test the brightness in relation to the green LED. If it is still too bright, try 10kOhm or more.

zeroledmod1ke7.jpg

4) Reinstall the LED circuit board.

zeroledmod2ca2.jpg

Feb 1, 2008 at 2:06 AM Post #1,224 of 9,388
Quote:

They look much better! Would you say the brightness was cut in half?

I assume more than half... I reduced the current from 18mA to 1mA.

Feb 1, 2008 at 2:16 AM Post #1,225 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by kmel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I assume more than half... I reduced the current from 18mA to 1mA.

I'm going to look around and see what I have. I sure would like them to be far less bright.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 1, 2008 at 2:36 AM Post #1,226 of 9,388
snowstorm in china is preventing mine from being shipped
frown.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum
Then all you need is a coaxial cable and the coaxial to mini jack adapter, so you can plug-in to the Audigy's flexi-jack.

where can i get an adaptor from? I can't find one anyway :s

<--nab

Feb 1, 2008 at 2:59 AM Post #1,227 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by magnetiq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
snowstorm in china is preventing mine from being shipped
frown.gif

where can i get an adaptor from? I can't find one anyway :s

<--nab

Try this: Parts Express:RCA Jack To 3.5mm Mono Plug Adapter

smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 1, 2008 at 6:21 AM Post #1,228 of 9,388
Something bad happened to my OPA627's. Left channel went gone and I hear popping noises from it. When I removed the op-amps they were pretty hot.
frown.gif

Feb 1, 2008 at 7:25 AM Post #1,229 of 9,388
I have now listened various music with DY2000 metal in the DAC and I like the sound so far. Nicely detailed and smooth. I will try later those OPA627's again if they were just overheated and sounded bad.

Feb 1, 2008 at 7:39 AM Post #1,230 of 9,388
Mine seems to have developed a pop or a crackle that seems to happen periodically. I was listening to vinyl for a while so I didn't really notice it that much, but when listening to CD's its right there. I'm pretty concerned but I'm ganna let it rest for a while before I get to frustrated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back