Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Jan 4, 2008 at 5:38 PM Post #601 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tsukasa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where can I puchase it?
ZERO 24BIT 192KHZ Stereo D/A conver +HEAD PHONE AMP - eBay (item 320202760644 end time Jan-09-08 07:18:39 PST)
Only one solution?

I don't know that seller. Most here have purchased with eBay seller biglawhk. His email address is lawrencechanbig@msn.com . Send him an email and find out when he's posting more on eBay. Hope this helps!!
wink.gif

Jan 4, 2008 at 7:44 PM Post #602 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With the default Opamp (OPA2604) the Zero presents a very flat frequency response. Nothing is spiking or suffering dropouts. Knowing this, I'd say the Zero should work well with other headphones. I'm pretty sure some of the folks that ordered the Zero have phones that are not Senns, but I haven't heard back from them yet. Time will tell.
smily_headphones1.gif

Personally, with the DT770, this amp makes the bass shine. Depending on the song, these things can vibrate on some bass heavy tunes. Overall everything sounds better. The detail is incredible. If your used to driving your DT770 -80 amp-less, you will not be disappointed.

Jan 5, 2008 at 1:00 AM Post #603 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shopper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks like it could take some (more) time. The Italian Customs are dreadful
frown.gif

I don't mind a fast opamp in the headphone amp, and possibly bipolar. The LT1361 is my best candidate there. Unless I prefer the LT1469 which I've never tried. For the DAC I'm really curious to hear this DY2000 and compare it with the LT1122 on adapter. Not that I'm less curious about how the LT1364 performs in the Zero
smily_headphones1.gif

I've also been tempted to use the OPA627. Did you try swapping with the AD797 eventually?

Ya, and no matter what I did, the highs were not correct with the 797s. At first, you don't notice what is going on, but when I hooked the DAC output up to my MKV, the problems became very noticeable, and I had to take them out. The OPA627s sound "richer" and at least accurate, but they need to be paired with something better than the 5532s in the headphone amp.

My LT order came and who ever filled it, didn't read the label correctly and gave me the wrong pin type.
frown.gif
So, I put in another order. Waiting again!
smily_headphones1.gif

I decided to put all the stock Opamps back in so both Zero's are stock. There is something to be said for that combination of OPA2604 and 5532s. The MKV really sounds excellent with the Zero in this configuration.
wink.gif

Jan 5, 2008 at 5:04 AM Post #604 of 9,388
Penchum,

I am sure that I can speak for many other greatful headfiers and join in with previous posters in giving you a very hearty [size=medium]THUMBS UP[/size] and [size=medium]THANK YOU VERY MUCH[/size] for your taking one of the 1st steps in exploring the ZERO!!

Over 759 posts and over 21,000 views to date indicates a thread of interest to many of us headfiers that will probably continue for a very long run!

Ed

Jan 5, 2008 at 5:16 AM Post #605 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by edguetzow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Penchum,

I am sure that I can speak for many other greatful headfiers and join in with previous posters in giving you a very hearty [size=medium]THUMBS UP[/size] and [size=medium]THANK YOU VERY MUCH[/size] for your taking one of the 1st steps in exploring the ZERO!!

Over 759 posts and over 21,000 views to date indicates a thread of interest to many of us headfiers that will probably continue for a very long run!

Ed

Amen! Great job!

Jan 5, 2008 at 5:28 AM Post #606 of 9,388
Quote:

Penchum,

Ed

X2, great work!

on another note. I am using the zero with the Denon D2000's (25ohms) and it is a nice combination. About 30 hours back in burn in [I'm at about 90-100 hours now) it was really harsh in the highs, I was getting ridiculous amounts of sibilance. But happy to report the highs have settled down nicely (I am hoping that they still settle just a tiny amount, but that might be the headphones). The bass has improved (gotten a bit tighter still and perhaps a tad bit warmer). I am really happy with the purchase!

Jan 5, 2008 at 6:36 AM Post #607 of 9,388
You mean there is a process sometimes termed burn-in going on?

Jan 5, 2008 at 7:04 AM Post #609 of 9,388
You mean your Ears are burning-in, surely you don't think the amp is changing do you? :^)

Jan 5, 2008 at 7:36 AM Post #610 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You mean your Ears are burning-in, surely you don't think the amp is changing do you? :^)

Yes, constantly. But I do have this suspicion that the amp is changing as well. I can prove this with only a clock.
biggrin.gif

Jan 5, 2008 at 12:14 PM Post #612 of 9,388
"...Linear techonolgy LT1028(single, ceramic) on Browndog adaptor
Price: US$15 each (Total US$30 for 2 singles) Browndog adaptor $5 Total: $35
Comment: It provided very similar results to the LT-1057 but each component of the sound was treated to an additional air of realism and effortless delivery that was immediately evident.

Linear techonolgy LT1028(single, metal) on Browndog adaptor
Price: US$25 each (Total US$50 for 2 singles) Browndog adaptor $5 Total: $52
Comment: It provided very similar results to the LT-1028 but the sound is ten times better LT-1028 with their punch , detail , range of frequency ….. especially the naturality.

Analog device DY2000 (dual, ceramic)
Price: US$20
Comment : These chips makes the sound more valve like than the tube sound ever did if that can possibly make any sense! Melodious, slightly laid back and warm yet it brings out every last bit of detail from a recording. Overall a very nice sound. A kind of hybrid valve and solid state mix which gives the best of both worlds. Nice smooth valve like mids and highs with lovely solid state bass oomph . This is the Op amp for those who prefer a valve like sound but would also like a solid state bottom end delivery. With this Op amp you can have your cake and eat it. Smooth as silk.

Analog device DY2000 (dual, metal)
Price: US$35.
Comment : It provided very similar results to the DY2000 ceramic but the sound is ten times better with their punch , detail , range of frequency ….. especially the naturality...."

It is interesting to see that the metal version of several opamps provides better performance than their plastic/ceramic versions. Another user has also reported that the metal/TO-99 version of the popular lm4562 sound waaaay better than the plastic/DIP version typically used.

What do you think? Anyone has compared metal/plastic versions of opamps?

Jan 5, 2008 at 3:37 PM Post #613 of 9,388
Quote:

Penchum,

Ed

Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amen! Great job!

Quote:

Originally Posted by arteom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X2, great work!

on another note. I am using the zero with the Denon D2000's (25ohms) and it is a nice combination. About 30 hours back in burn in [I'm at about 90-100 hours now) it was really harsh in the highs, I was getting ridiculous amounts of sibilance. But happy to report the highs have settled down nicely (I am hoping that they still settle just a tiny amount, but that might be the headphones). The bass has improved (gotten a bit tighter still and perhaps a tad bit warmer). I am really happy with the purchase!

Thanks guys!
redface.gif
Every now and then I like to put my money where my mouth is.
biggrin.gif
I just wish I had more.
biggrin.gif
Thanks also to everyone working on the Zero's capabilities. The optimum Opamps combination is coming!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 5, 2008 at 3:53 PM Post #614 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by powertoold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will the Zero work with sensitive IEMs? Are the only amps that are good for IEMs portable ones?

I haven't heard of anyone using IEMs with the Zero. Portable is as portable does.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 5, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #615 of 9,388
Just a quick story about static electricity. It has been pretty cold here in Arizona at night, so in the evening, I usually use one of those small blankets to keep my feet warm, or over the shoulders. While listening to my HD-650s, I reached up and took them off, and grabbed the cable to set them down on my work table. ZAP! The static build up from the blanket was enough to make it through the insulation of the headphone cable! The music immediately stopped. I had the usual two to three second "panic" attack, then realized my source was still running. The Zero had stopped.
eek.gif
I powered it down, then right back up again and the Zero had reset itself and was running fine.
smily_headphones1.gif
I have done this now accidentally, at least 5 times. The protection circuit in the Zero has saved the day!!
biggrin.gif

This made me think of first time Opamp rollers. Are they grounding themselves before grabbing that chip, or opening their Zero's? Make sure you ground yourself before handling sensitive electronics!!
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back