Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Aug 19, 2008 at 2:44 AM Post #5,296 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by viscosity /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OPA-EARTH
First impression I must say very long lasting. I have found the sound that I miss. The earth sounds so natural and crisp clear. The separation is very good when I play the chinese high impact drums. The vocal is so natural and the singer sibilance (like the Sssst, Ssssh) is gone. This is what I am looking for. It is so much better than the OPA 627, way much better.
good job. next I will test OPA Sun.

OPA-SUN
This is initial impression on OPA Sun.

Just spend some time listening to the OPA Sun. Initial impression again is wide soundstage offer by this discrete opamp.

Actuall to tell the difference between Sun and Earth is minor. It is more dynamic, slightly deeper bass and controlled mid mid bass. Soprano on treble is also polished less the Sssst. Instrument accuracy is good and imaging is accurate. On gypsy high rhtymic songs, the complex passage is handled with good resolution. OPA Sun detailing of instrument is impressive, yet polish at the edges of vocal.

Chua from Malaysia

Cool.......the SUN sounds like a good fit for the H/Amp section.

Thanks for that mini review, it is very helpful. Quite in tune with my impressions a few months back. The really cool part is they get way better as you put about 70+ hours on them....your not going to believe your ears...well ok you'll beleive them but you'll be grinning from ear to ear and it will be impossible to dislodge you from your headphones unless you have to go to the bathroom or eat or sleep....something like that anyway
L3000.gif
beerchug.gif

By accident I hit the beer chug emoticon...now I want a beer but the headphone cable isn't long enough to reach the damn fridge....
biggrin.gif
LOL

Peete.

Aug 19, 2008 at 3:23 AM Post #5,297 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cool.......the SUN sounds like a good fit for the H/Amp section.

Thanks for that mini review, it is very helpful. Quite in tune with my impressions a few months back. The really cool part is they get way better as you put about 70+ hours on them....your not going to believe your ears...well ok you'll beleive them but you'll be grinning from ear to ear and it will be impossible to dislodge you from your headphones unless you have to go to the bathroom or eat or sleep....something like that anyway
L3000.gif
beerchug.gif

By accident I hit the beer chug emoticon...now I want a beer but the headphone cable isn't long enough to reach the damn fridge....
biggrin.gif
LOL

Peete.

So Peete, your thinking of using the earth in the DAC section wile the SUN in the Amp???

Aug 19, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #5,298 of 9,388
I have been using the Earth module for quite some time in the DAC section with a cap tweak gleaned from the Burson Audio web page. What Lawrence sold as his HDAM a while back turns out to be the Earth module made by audio-gd .....so all along I've been running the Earth module and didn't know it until a couple a weeks ago
biggrin.gif

I was the first guniea pig to buy the HDAM for the Zero so I guess I'm partially responsible for all this discrete circuit mayhem of late although many were skeptical it would outperform modern opamps back then...boy am I glad I didn't listen to that advice !!!

The Zero with an HDAM in the DAC section is match made in heaven (or hell) IMHO. The synergy is quite astounding.

Peete.

PS I 'd like to try the Sun modules in the H/Amp section just to see if it works it's discrete circuit magic in that section as well. Worth a shot since I'll be up to my eyeballs in HDAMS by next week ( I'll have 5 dual channel modules, 3 Earth, 2 Sun) Just waiting on Lawrence to see it's possible to do so, see a few posts back about that.

Aug 19, 2008 at 4:06 AM Post #5,299 of 9,388
I'd like to further explain the reasoning behind trying the Sun modules in the H/Amp section if I may. The cost (at least until August 31st) makes the additional modules for that section an economically sensible idea at 66 US per pair of dual channel SUN modules. The real bonus is the 2 Earth modules that are included Free of charge with the SUN modules purchase until August 31st.....With the old deal from Lawrence (80 US per dual channel HDAM) that would have been closer to 200 US (including shipping + customs) and out of the question since it would be way more than the entire cost of the Zero including shipping. Thanks to the member who found this company and provided the link it's now possible to do so without killing the bank account...a win win all around.

I paid 92.50 US for 4 dual channel modules including shipping with 4 extension cables as well. An unreal deal I couldn't pass up since I need 2 more Earth modules for my DAC project I'm currently developing/tweaking...er hacking away at
smily_headphones1.gif
This deal was a god send for my wallet !!!! If the original poster of that link PM's me with proof, I'll send him a bonus prize for pointing this deal out for everyone here...I'm serious !!!

Peete.

Aug 19, 2008 at 5:45 AM Post #5,300 of 9,388
I just ordered one Earth and a free Sun so are you saying that I will need another Earth/Sun since there are 3 possible places to upgrade the Zero at. The Dac, h/amp, and the regular speaker amp and I correct by saying that? You got me kind of lost right now.

Aug 19, 2008 at 6:06 AM Post #5,301 of 9,388
^ The head amp has two opamp sockets, the DAC has one. In total, 3.

Aug 19, 2008 at 12:17 PM Post #5,303 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd like to further explain the reasoning behind trying the Sun modules in the H/Amp section if I may. The cost (at least until August 31st) makes the additional modules for that section an economically sensible idea at 66 US per pair of dual channel SUN modules. The real bonus is the 2 Earth modules that are included Free of charge with the SUN modules purchase until August 31st.....With the old deal from Lawrence (80 US per dual channel HDAM) that would have been closer to 200 US (including shipping + customs) and out of the question since it would be way more than the entire cost of the Zero including shipping. Thanks to the member who found this company and provided the link it's now possible to do so without killing the bank account...a win win all around.

I paid 92.50 US for 4 dual channel modules including shipping with 4 extension cables as well. An unreal deal I couldn't pass up since I need 2 more Earth modules for my DAC project I'm currently developing/tweaking...er hacking away at
smily_headphones1.gif
This deal was a god send for my wallet !!!! If the original poster of that link PM's me with proof, I'll send him a bonus prize for pointing this deal out for everyone here...I'm serious !!!

Peete.

Hi Peete, Yes they are a damm good deal from Audio - GD . I remember when I said I got the SUN as a pressent there was a member suspicious of me been my first post . I actually saw the Audio - GD link earlier in the forum and went to check it out , when I saw the price of one Hdam I thought I'd order the Earth as a friend of mine already has that one in his Zero and I liked it very much . Anyway when Kingwa sent my order he said he also included the SUN as a pressent so I thought beauty I can try both . My Sun is now 100 hours old and I like it even more to the earth for the DAC . Burning in the Earth now and will decide which one I prefer the best .. I'm also interested whether we can use these in the head amp . Anyway happy Hdaming ... Cheers Gavin ...

Aug 19, 2008 at 1:32 PM Post #5,304 of 9,388
True, when u give your review, some are suspicios of you. But not Penchuum. We have got good ears.

I am waiting for the 300 hours of burn in. Hope to hear PP review on the Earth and sun. Depends on the reception, audio-gd will introduce 'moon'. A lot of listening test is going in for it at this moment.

For your information, I have snipped the 22pF. still testing it. Next on the list is to replace the Gucci RCA plug with gold plated RCA.

btw, the cap mod on HDAM is for what improvement.

Aug 19, 2008 at 2:11 PM Post #5,305 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by gavszero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Peete, Yes they are a damm good deal from Audio - GD . I remember when I said I got the SUN as a pressent there was a member suspicious of me been my first post . I actually saw the Audio - GD link earlier in the forum and went to check it out , when I saw the price of one Hdam I thought I'd order the Earth as a friend of mine already has that one in his Zero and I liked it very much . Anyway when Kingwa sent my order he said he also included the SUN as a pressent so I thought beauty I can try both . My Sun is now 100 hours old and I like it even more to the earth for the DAC . Burning in the Earth now and will decide which one I prefer the best .. I'm also interested whether we can use these in the head amp . Anyway happy Hdaming ... Cheers Gavin ...

Hi Gav,

Looks like your the winner of the prize, PM me your Address and I'll send you 3 x 1 uf K42 Y2 NOS caps for the HDAM tweak mentioned on the Burson Audio page.

CC...the HDAM cap tweak seems to add some transient speed to the HDAM, along with additional V+ V- filtering and some extra current storage close at hand to the module. I tested this tweak out all by itself before I did the major upgrade I'm currently evaluating (along with Penchum). I found it to be a worthwhile and cheap tweak (the Russian Mil spec NOS caps being very very good caps and best of all dirt cheap).

I have lots to do today so I can only answer a few questions then I'll be back here later on this evening (EST, daylight savings).

Peete.

Aug 19, 2008 at 2:53 PM Post #5,306 of 9,388
I got an email from Lawrence this morning. He says it is no problem running 3 modules in the Zero. It has plenty of power to spare!!

Now I can hardly wait for mine to arrive!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 19, 2008 at 3:17 PM Post #5,307 of 9,388
I got email from Mr He too. He said the Volts requirement is exactly same as 5532/627. The current requirement will be a little bit higher but there should be no problem at all.

Q: Any upgrade suggestion about that 4 D669/B649 after the sun/earth in?

Aug 19, 2008 at 3:41 PM Post #5,308 of 9,388
I wonder if anyone from US has started to receive the OPA or not. Usually audio-gd ship by DHL. Guess should be fast and easy to arrive US shores.

When I first listen to OPA, I got weak. I just wanted to lie down and enjoy music.

Aug 19, 2008 at 3:43 PM Post #5,309 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by alxwang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got email from Mr He too. He said the Volts requirement is exactly same as 5532/627. The current requirement will be a little bit higher but there should be no problem at all.

Q: Any upgrade suggestion about that 4 D669/B649 after the sun/earth in?

You've lost me with "4 D669/B649". Whats that about Alex ? Sorry to ask but I may be able to help....
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back