Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Aug 18, 2008 at 11:30 PM Post #5,281 of 9,388
Back in the review, Penchum indicates OPA627 DAC + LT1469 as a great combo too. How does it compare to OPA627 DAC + LT1364?

Aug 18, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #5,282 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by alxwang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone did or is going to test sun/earth replace ne5532? Maybe I have to be the first one?

Pench sent an email off to LC about that very prospect as I had raised the question of current draw from 3 dual channel HDAMS might be an issue. Could just be me being overly cautious once again (or not understanding what is in front of me...lol) but when the dac/amp and modules are at stake better to find out if the load can be handled safely by the current power supply set up.

I have to admit than when I get my modules I hope that question will be settled because I have 4 of them on the way, 2 of which will go into the H/Amp section if it's ok to do so
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Aug 18, 2008 at 11:34 PM Post #5,283 of 9,388
I bet LC has a price drop on his HDAM module now that his OEM source has undercut his sales with direct marketing .....I wouldn't be surprised...

Peete.

Aug 18, 2008 at 11:56 PM Post #5,284 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by taso89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Back in the review, Penchum indicates OPA627 DAC + LT1469 as a great combo too. How does it compare to OPA627 DAC + LT1364?

I believe the OPA627's and LT1364 combo is much better than the LT1469 combo.
smily_headphones1.gif
It was discovered and covered further into the thread.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 18, 2008 at 11:57 PM Post #5,285 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by ccschua /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kingwa believe in simple design concept, with over design especially on power supply for the DAC. For his DAC, he has 23 group of power supply, with 50,000 uF capacitor storage bank.

ZERO DAC is solution to good music at lowest costs. Audio-gd is hopefully the solution to high end music at reasonable costs .

The Zero has lots left to give...trust me when I say that...stay tuned to the Zero channel
smily_headphones1.gif

I agree CC, the Audio-GD stuff is very very nice....and at reasonable..if not downright screaming bargain prices for what you are getting. Thank god for the Chinese audio industry I keep saying to myself these days....

I will own one of those Hi End DAC's one day soon...it just won't be in 2008...hope the prices don't skyrocket by then...

Peete.

PS Wow massive thunderstorm rolling in...have to shut all the gear down quick...

Aug 18, 2008 at 11:58 PM Post #5,286 of 9,388
Quote:

Does anyone did or is going to test sun/earth replace ne5532? Maybe I have to be the first one?

You will probably be the first, but you won't be alone. My modules are coming, just like PP's. I'm waiting on a response from Lawrence on the power issue.

Aug 19, 2008 at 12:10 AM Post #5,287 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You will probably be the first, but you won't be alone. My modules are coming, just like PP's. I'm waiting on a response from Lawrence on the power issue.

What's power issue?

Aug 19, 2008 at 12:13 AM Post #5,288 of 9,388
Quote:

What's power issue?

PP and I were concerned that it might be a strain on the Zero, to have three modules running at once, so I sent an email to Lawrence, to get his opinion on this. Just to be sure.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 19, 2008 at 12:28 AM Post #5,289 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PP and I were concerned that it might be a strain on the Zero, to have three modules running at once, so I sent an email to Lawrence, to get his opinion on this. Just to be sure.
smily_headphones1.gif

Hmm, never thought about that yet. I just send 2 email to Mr. He and Zero's tech service. Hope they can reply me some useful information.

Aug 19, 2008 at 12:58 AM Post #5,290 of 9,388
I too had a read of that thread, sounds like Lee is advertising. Sounds like Mr. He OEMs for a lot of brands. btw his DAC-100 looks like a beast in DAC AH housing, more expensive than a Zero though

*waits for his HDAMs to arrive*

Oh and I had a read here "Mr He copy many many design from big brand machine and use same parts. You buy from Mr He spend 10% money and get 100% sound." - sounds... interesting?

Aug 19, 2008 at 2:29 AM Post #5,294 of 9,388
OPA-EARTH
First impression I must say very long lasting. I have found the sound that I miss. The earth sounds so natural and crisp clear. The separation is very good when I play the chinese high impact drums. The vocal is so natural and the singer sibilance (like the Sssst, Ssssh) is gone. This is what I am looking for. It is so much better than the OPA 627, way much better.
good job. next I will test OPA Sun.

OPA-SUN
This is initial impression on OPA Sun.

Just spend some time listening to the OPA Sun. Initial impression again is wide soundstage offer by this discrete opamp.

Actuall to tell the difference between Sun and Earth is minor. It is more dynamic, slightly deeper bass and controlled mid mid bass. Soprano on treble is also polished less the Sssst. Instrument accuracy is good and imaging is accurate. On gypsy high rhtymic songs, the complex passage is handled with good resolution. OPA Sun detailing of instrument is impressive, yet polish at the edges of vocal.

Chua from Malaysia

Aug 19, 2008 at 2:32 AM Post #5,295 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by graben /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will this run fine on Japan 100V, I emailed an ebay seller and Lawrence but all they said was "yeah it is universal 110V-220V" but 100 is not 110...

Your fine graben
smily_headphones1.gif

Mine is running at 125V and is only rated for 110V (or is it 115V ? ) Bah doesn't matter...your well within the limits of the transformers safety margin...IOW's no problems at 100V

Peete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back