REVIEW: WESTONE 3, the ULTIMATE UNIVERSAL IEM vs everything else
Dec 4, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #2,071 of 2,117
Quote:
hey guys, just a quick question. Would these be good for metal/rock? I listen to a lot of metal like Gojira, Kreator, Children of Bodom, Krisiun, etc.. and was wondering if these woud fit the bill. Or will i be better off with a Sony mdr7550(ex800st)? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

I listen to similar bands and have been very pleased with the performance of these, been using them daily for quite some time during my commute. Isolation is great, and they work well with a wide variety of music genres.

Scoit

Dec 4, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #2,072 of 2,117
Quote:

I listen to similar bands and have been very pleased with the performance of these, been using them daily for quite some time during my commute. Isolation is great, and they work well with a wide variety of music genres.

Scoit

Thanks! Can you elaborate more? What is about the soundsig that you like them for that genre. Are they more fulfilling than rather a neutral sig? I like it that they have great isolation because the Sony ex series is known to have poor isolation. 

Dec 4, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #2,073 of 2,117
Quote:

Thanks! Can you elaborate more? What is about the soundsig that you like them for that genre. Are they more fulfilling than rather a neutral sig? I like it that they have great isolation because the Sony ex series is known to have poor isolation. 

I would call it an artificially filling sound, and not exactly neutral. More natural, with the grey tips they are very comfy (to me) and really just disappear. I don;t think "These cans sound great" I think "This song sounds great". But with all of that they are pretty forgiving as well, which is great for my application, which is portable listening.

Scott

Dec 4, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #2,074 of 2,117
Quote:

I would call it an artificially filling sound, and not exactly neutral. More natural, with the grey tips they are very comfy (to me) and really just disappear. I don;t think "These cans sound great" I think "This song sounds great". But with all of that they are pretty forgiving as well, which is great for my application, which is portable listening.

Scott

Thanks bro. Was worried about all these comments that they are too sibilant, too tip dependent, too bloated bass, too muddy etc.. So im glad they sound great for you :)

Dec 4, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #2,076 of 2,117
Quote:
Would you recommend them over the other Westone universals?

I had these for nearly 4 years now, and had one replacement by warranty for about 3 years, due to their faulty cable design in the past. Never had any problems since. I can't stop praising about these. I work out in them at the gym, take them on public transportation, in the rain, listen to them in sleep and has never broken on me. 

What I like the most. 
1. Best service and warranty I've ever seen
2. Most comfortable and isolating IEM's that I've tried
3. One of the most silent and sturdy cable design

Now 1,2,3 applies to all westone products

I find them quite good for Rock. They are colored and fun, but the sound is natural and never sibilant. These are the only ones I can listen for hours without ever getting tired. For my other phones like UE TF 10's, K701, or even the ever neutral RE0 I find myself getting tired just after a while. 

For Rock, Pop, Alternative, Electronic, House, Jazz, they are just outstanding. The only one I have trouble with is classical, it just doesn't have the clarity or the instrument separation like the RE0 or the K701 that I own. For Rock, I think they're great. If you want something more neutral you should go for the westone 4

Dec 4, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #2,077 of 2,117
I remember how hugely hyped these iems were back in the day before they came out.  I wanted a pair so damn bad back then but didn't quite have the money.  Eventually I was able to get a pair and was very pleased.  They isolated so well, have that ridiculously comfortable and non microphonic cable, came with 3 drivers which was nearly unheard of at the time, and was pretty much "the iem" for a balanced armature with a fun sound signature.

Since then, I now own ciems and have a very good idea of the strengths and weaknesses of the w3.  Even though there are better and more technically sound iems out there, the w3 is still a competitor. 

Dec 5, 2012 at 8:38 AM Post #2,078 of 2,117
Quote:

I had these for nearly 4 years now, and had one replacement by warranty for about 3 years, due to their faulty cable design in the past. Never had any problems since. I can't stop praising about these. I work out in them at the gym, take them on public transportation, in the rain, listen to them in sleep and has never broken on me. 

What I like the most. 
1. Best service and warranty I've ever seen
2. Most comfortable and isolating IEM's that I've tried
3. One of the most silent and sturdy cable design

Now 1,2,3 applies to all westone products

I find them quite good for Rock. They are colored and fun, but the sound is natural and never sibilant. These are the only ones I can listen for hours without ever getting tired. For my other phones like UE TF 10's, K701, or even the ever neutral RE0 I find myself getting tired just after a while. 

For Rock, Pop, Alternative, Electronic, House, Jazz, they are just outstanding. The only one I have trouble with is classical, it just doesn't have the clarity or the instrument separation like the RE0 or the K701 that I own. For Rock, I think they're great. If you want something more neutral you should go for the westone 4

Thanks I think I will go the w3 route. I heard the w4r is pretty soft for metal. It lacks the bass slam of the w3 and the treble is quite relaxed. So its like the westone 3 is built for aggressive music

Dec 5, 2012 at 8:57 AM Post #2,080 of 2,117
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 5, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #2,083 of 2,117
Quote:
so the westone 3 are hyped back then.. i noticed now they get more hate than love as compared to the other westones 

Not really.  Westone didn't start making these any different.  Read HFA's original review (the first post) of this thread on what was such hot sh** about them.....nothing has changed.  W3 is still the most ground-breaking IEM when it was released.  It's legendary.

But 2 other factors play into it.  One, Head-Fi is a FOTM posting forum and two, many people here (more than the general public) are more about finding balanced and accurate sound versus "fun" and W3 definitely lean more towards the fun side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back