REVIEW: WESTONE 3, the ULTIMATE UNIVERSAL IEM vs everything else
Jul 16, 2009 at 8:56 AM Post #1,606 of 2,117
^^^Ooh, it's so tempting....

But, short answer: definitively? No I'm not sure. But grey tips have usually been softer than black across other IEMs...My W3's didn't come w/ black tips btw...black foamies, yes. Black silicon, IIRC, nope...

Jul 16, 2009 at 9:11 AM Post #1,607 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^^Ooh, it's so tempting....

But, short answer: definitively? No I'm not sure. But grey tips have usually been softer than black across other IEMs...My W3's didn't come w/ black tips btw...black foamies, yes. Black silicon, IIRC, nope...

Hahaha I get it! :p

I haven't tried out the grey ones yet, just the black ones!

And I love my W3's!
biggrin.gif
They are definately worth the money!

BTW, what does IIRC means?

Jul 16, 2009 at 9:41 AM Post #1,609 of 2,117
Indeed. Thx Zal!

So, ol, you did get black silicon & grey with W3? I really must pull out the box & check. I recall long Comply lookalikes, black foams, clear silicon & grey silicon...did I miss a pair? Can't remember if there were flanges, but I guess that could be them....

Jul 16, 2009 at 10:03 AM Post #1,610 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Indeed. Thx Zal!

So, ol, you did get black silicon & grey with W3? I really must pull out the box & check. I recall long Comply lookalikes, black foams, clear silicon & grey silicon...did I miss a pair? Can't remember if there were flanges, but I guess that could be them....

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/yhst-...e3packhead.jpg

The middle 4 are (black) sillicones right?

And how are the 6 on the left are called?

Jul 16, 2009 at 10:20 AM Post #1,611 of 2,117
Aha! Enlightenment!

No, the middle 4 are grey in colour*...I don't think of them as black! The 6 are clears....

Edit\ * dark grey, to my eyes anyways...those other light greys (foams) are the Comply lookalikes (or indeed are Complys, dunno)

Jul 16, 2009 at 10:29 AM Post #1,612 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by outlandos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/yhst-...e3packhead.jpg

The middle 4 are (black) sillicones right?

And how are the 6 on the left are called?

They are grey. There are black ones --which do look black-- and are used for other Shure models. W3's & SE530's come with the grey tips.

The ones on the left are clear hard silicone sleeves - awfully uncomfortable, and I don't know of a single head-fier who's actually found them the best.

Jul 16, 2009 at 10:33 AM Post #1,613 of 2,117
Compared to the Shure E2c clears, the Westones are actually quite soft...I would've used them but again can't get a good seal. I did like the E2c clear on Triple Fi tho -for SQ not (I absolutely agree!) for comfort...

Jul 16, 2009 at 11:14 AM Post #1,614 of 2,117
Oh I see!

Well, I love the grey (!) sillicones! I think they produce a nice comfort fit.

I dislike foams, so I will not even try those!

Also, I disliked C751's bass, so uncontrolled! When listening to the W3's I hear a nice and stong pass, but it all fits into place and there is a nice balance between quantity and quality in the bass.

Most of the songs I listen too I prefer the W3 over the X10. Because I sold X10 it's hard to compare, but I can remember Love Lockdown to sound better on the Klipsch.

Dance music both phones do great. When listening to Marc Cohn I very much prefer the W3 over de X10 (maybe the UM3x would even be better for that kind of music!).

Because I am a beginner, I don't know how to explain it very well, but the music with the W3 sometimes seems to be 3D.. So much more detail, levels, everything on the right place!

biggrin.gif

Jul 16, 2009 at 11:25 AM Post #1,615 of 2,117
Hey, thanks for that nice image of what was "supposed" to come with my W3 (bought second hand). It looks like I am missing the larger, in length and girth, of the foam tips. The two included pair do not fit, way too small for my cavernous ear canals. Really, the only tips that have worked at all were the large silicone, which is what I used on my Shures.

So are the large Shure "olives" a similar size as the large silicone? Secondly, what is the Comply equivalent of the largest included foam tip?

I would love to try some foam even if I am completely satisfied with the way the silicone tips sound, I'm sure you all can relate.

One last thing, the clear soft tips included with the W3s really are much more flexible than the ones that came with my Shures. They almost even work for me but are a little fussy at staying in place. The Shures were almost comical in discomfort.

Jul 16, 2009 at 12:09 PM Post #1,616 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by StereoX7521 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What game? I personally so far do not like this guy as I think he is stalking me. I just joined and he is asking me questions like some sort of an investigator. Does he normally do this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This cat-and-mouse game is getting really old.

Well, I though I'd let you all know StereoX7521 has been caught again for the 8th time!! I suggest keeping an eye as he will, no doubt, be back with yet another fake account. This time the twist was that he owned the W3's AND preferred them over the SE530's. It only worked for 30+ posts and 2 days.

Also, now please let's not fill this thread with more comments about VoLTaG3 and all his fake accounts - If you have any comments, perhaps best to PM me or the mods and keep this thread on topic.

Jul 16, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #1,618 of 2,117
Wow just wow got the w3's in and im very very happy. Finally got a good seal in my ears and they sound spectacular. For those of you that use 3g iphone or 3gS for source where do you usually keep your volume. With these i find that 1/4 to 1/3 volume is about right. I always like to make sure im not listening too loud so i tryed putting the foamies in cardboard and sealed it with my db meter and it read about 72 to 76 db's so i think that is pretty good. Hopefully its somewhat accurate. I have to order some more tips i only got 2 with my westones but they still sound great with these. Im a very happy camper right now.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 16, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #1,619 of 2,117
With that low of a volume level I can't possible see getting any fatigue. I tend to listen much louder and it gets to you after a while. Not sure about the IPhone but I am usually around 80% with a Nano. I prefer the UM3X for this reason. But W3 is fine IEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back