REVIEW: WESTONE 3, the ULTIMATE UNIVERSAL IEM vs everything else
Apr 29, 2009 at 10:19 PM Post #1,456 of 2,117
Thanks Robojack...sounds promising
smily_headphones1.gif

How are the mids on the W3, more detailed than the SA6 while not being as forward ?
I've been using the SA6 with the largest flange, I'm wondering which of the W3 tips you find of comparable size and whether the SA6 tips works well for you fit and sonics-wise with the W3?

Happy listening

Quote:

Originally Posted by robojack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the most part, I found huge improvement in the W3's over the SA6s. There's a much larger soundstage, and the mids are easily superior to the SA6s. For the most part, they are non-fatiguing (to my ears), although if you don't get a good fit, you might find yourself with some sibilance. All in all, it's a much richer-sounding IEM than the SA6s, and really brings out the best/worst in your music recordings.

In terms of the fit, I don't see why people are complaining about it. What is it about this IEM that people find harder to fit than other IEMs? The size of the sound tube (is it longer/shorter than the UM2 or UM1?), or is it that it's harder than other IEMs (for some ppl) to insert? I myself, have not found much problems with fit.

May 6, 2009 at 5:36 PM Post #1,457 of 2,117
Ever since I got my W3 I just keep analysing the way they sound and even though they give me fit and isolation I am very happy with, I found only few albums so far that i really enjoy with them. I guess mid bass hump and spiky highs, fun kind of sound (as the way I find them) is just not my cup of tea. Should have gone for se530 or wait for um3x perhaps, but if I did I wouldnt know whether or not I would find W3 even more enjoyable than those(never try never know). I do believe some can find W3 sound signaure perfect for them so im not discouraging anyone to try them...

btw. sorry for my english, I am no native english speaker
confused_face.gif

btw2. my first post, hello everyone and thanks a lot for my wallet

May 6, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #1,459 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3mhil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ever since I got my W3 I just keep analysing the way they sound and even though they give me fit and isolation I am very happy with, I found only few albums so far that i really enjoy with them. I guess mid bass hump and spiky highs, fun kind of sound (as the way I find them) is just not my cup of tea. Should have gone for se530 or wait for um3x perhaps, but if I did I wouldnt know whether or not I would find W3 even more enjoyable than those(never try never know). I do believe some can find W3 sound signaure perfect for them so im not discouraging anyone to try them...

btw. sorry for my english, I am no native english speaker
confused_face.gif

btw2. my first post, hello everyone and thanks a lot for my wallet

Yes, I think i know what you mean- I had an absolute joy with W3 when I got them... It coincided with my "I only want to listen to techno" period, and Infected Mushroom sounded deliriously good through the W3...

But then that period came to an end and I started to listen to "normal" music again (ie one with lots of vocals) and ... I was no longer deliriously joyous
wink.gif
My previous choice of sleeves (unmodded triflanges/triflanges with slightly trimmed stems) was making pop/rock sounding way too bassy, vocals almost taking secondary stage to percussion...

That was a few days back, I have tried several things since. One - change sleeves. I understand that there is no "one answer for everyone" from reading this thread- different ear canals, different music signature prefs, different sources, etc. I also understand though that W3 have HUGE variation to their Sound Signature as according to the sleeve used- not even simply "HUGE"- rather HUUUUUUGE. They can sound dark, thick, thin, trebly, peaky-harsh, smooth, recessed, bassy-boomy, bassy-tight, not bassy at all etc, etc, etc... Similarly there is variation in presentation of mids.

I spent about a day trying just one type of sleeve (eg hard silicone/ shure foamie etc) - just trying different insertions, waiting for the ear to conform with the sleeve and sound... To cut to the chase- I am pleased with W3 again now - all be it not deliriously so as with electronic music.

I find shure foamies (not inserted TOO deep) to give good balance where mids/vocals taking centre stage while still retaining that trademark W3/IE8 FULL (not usual iem) palpable sound.

The ultimate test to my W3 will be when I diymod my 5.5 Ipod next month. At the moment I am also afraid to place unjust criticism on the poor phones when fed by 3star (on Duncan scale) rated Ipod. I will also try rockbox+eq maybe.

All in all, I am not tempted by UM3X - less full sound, less bass, less treble but more mids... I can make my w3 to sound something like that by using hard silicone sleeves. I want big, full size headphone sound - fat, palpable - that is only available in IE8/W3 package I am afraid ( an extremely shapable/malleable package - in case of W3). I'm sticking with mine
smily_headphones1.gif

May 6, 2009 at 8:08 PM Post #1,460 of 2,117
I agree that the W3 can have a large change sound with a change in tips and position in the ear canal, and with the right fit for your particular ears it makes a wonderfully transparent and fairly accurate IEM. I prefer it over all my previous IEM except for my new Westone ES3X customs which add more midrange detail and presence, more accurate bass and smoother highs, and an enhanced soundstage and ambience. Still, I am happy with the W3 for times when I do not want to put my ES3X in danger of loss or damage while I am out and about doing things. I use the ES3X as audiophile headphones at home.

May 7, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #1,461 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you tried the tri-flange tips? With the modified sound stem? They solved all my sibilance issues.

I havent actually tried modding them. I initially I found them uncomfortable and didnt like the way they felt in my ears. Also since there was only one pair i somehow didnt want to start cutting them without even knowing from which side I should do it. After i tried all the tips I found "inserted half a way in" medium grey silicons to fit and sound the best for me so I simply settled on them. But since U recommend modding those triflanges I will sure get some and give it a try. I will post my impressions here.
Thanks a lot for reply
beerchug.gif

May 9, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #1,464 of 2,117
May 9, 2009 at 3:44 PM Post #1,465 of 2,117
As an early adopter of W3, still using Shure Medium Olives without any deleterious effects, I'm not tempted by UM3X (yet).

However, the ES3X endorsement from Larry is tempting.

The W3's mid-bass hump is definitely there, out of the box, but it is quite manageable. And you don't need Rock Box.

Here's how you do it:

(and please, save the doubting Thomas comments about this technique not working - had an audio engineer friend run comparison tone sweeps (using multiple EQ settings) & compared db as a function of frequency. Experiment was cobbled together - but the EQ differences were noticeable on the read out)

Procedure:

1. In iTunes, create the custom EQ setting of your choice

2. Save as "Rock" - or any other factory preset name
(click yes - when asked if you want to replace the original setting)

3. On iPod, select Rock EQ

4. Sync iPod

5. Enjoy your custom EQ setting.

For W3's, which are at the end of a 4G Nano-->ALO SXC 18 gauge LOD-->Mustang signal train:

-6 db @ 125 hz, and -3 db @ 64 hz tames the W3's mid-bass hump nicely
(for these ears - YMMV)

May 9, 2009 at 4:15 PM Post #1,466 of 2,117
That does not work. I'm not trying to be a jerk here but lots of people have already tried it in your other thread and told you the same thing. It's also extremely easy to test without using sine sweeps by just setting the EQ to something ridiculous like a max bass output.

May 9, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #1,467 of 2,117
I simply use the W3s (with the modded tri-flanges) with a little EQ bump on the high end with the Clip and Sony, and use the acoustic EQ setting on the Touch 2G. No sibilance, amazingly good sound to my ears. With the Zune, right now, I use the large Comply P Series, because with no EQ, the tri-flanges create a veil on the high end, which bugs me. The Complys, for some reason, eliminate it somewhat, but at the price of clarity and detail. My only real complaint with the W3s right now.

May 9, 2009 at 4:22 PM Post #1,468 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jensen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That does not work. I'm not trying to be a jerk here but lots of people have already tried it in your other thread and told you the same thing. It's also extremely easy to test without using sine sweeps by just setting the EQ to something ridiculous like a max bass output.

Respectfully - I suggest you discuss this with Apple (as I have; two different sources; Apple Store Genius & Corporate Engineering contact).

They both confirm that the technique works (???)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back