REVIEW: WESTONE 3, the ULTIMATE UNIVERSAL IEM vs everything else
Apr 8, 2009 at 5:10 PM Post #1,351 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yea, they are pretty nice. Almost hard to imagine much better. Which tips are you using? Any fit problems?

The fit is very good for me , perfect in fact
smily_headphones1.gif
(I always use uncut Shure triflanges since they always give the least boomy ,but the tightest the most extended sound i was able to get with my prev IEMs-... and now w3 is no exception). Triflanges are almost a perfect sleeve- almost because foams isolate a touch better). {NB Shure triflanges -unlike Ety 's- have stem, so there is something like 1cm difference in insertion length between them. For iems with short stalks -w3- I much prefer Shure triflanges)

In a sense plugging uncut triflange is a bit scary, But I simply trust sound engineers (they wouldnt make a "dangerous" sleeve) and my own feel- obviously I would not push them beyond mild discomfort... I also remember some Ety users sharing their experience of "loosing virginity"-like feeling of shoving the flange as deep as it would go, in my experience W3 are the same. (context is asking for a sexual joke, but I'll restrain
smily_headphones1.gif
)
Westone3 - superb,superb,superb!!! Honestly- I'm absolutely in love with these!
I'm done with IEMs until I hear about one that has W3 sound and isolation with more air and soundstage (IE8 obviously need not apply
smily_headphones1.gif
That will be a few years I'm sure!

Apr 8, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #1,352 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yea, they are pretty nice. Almost hard to imagine much better. Which tips are you using? Any fit problems?

He said he is using uncut unmodded tri-flange in his post. Not too many people get along with those, but it does work for some.

Apr 8, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #1,354 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ubijza /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The fit is very good for me , perfect in fact
smily_headphones1.gif
(I always use uncut Shure triflanges since they always give the least boomy ,but the tightest the most extended sound i was able to get with my prev IEMs-... and now w3 is no exception). Triflanges are almost a perfect sleeve- almost because foams isolate a touch better). {NB Shure triflanges -unlike Ety 's- have stem, so there is something like 1cm difference in insertion length between them. For iems with short stalks -w3- I much prefer Shure triflanges)

In a sense plugging uncut triflange is a bit scary, But I simply trust sound engineers (they wouldnt make a "dangerous" sleeve) and my own feel- obviously I would not push them beyond mild discomfort... I also remember some Ety users sharing their experience of "loosing virginity"-like feeling of shoving the flange as deep as it would go, in my experience W3 are the same. (context is asking for a sexual joke, but I'll restrain
smily_headphones1.gif
)
Westone3 - superb,superb,superb!!! Honestly- I'm absolutely in love with these!
I'm done with IEMs until I hear about one that has W3 sound and isolation with more air and soundstage (IE8 obviously need not apply
smily_headphones1.gif
That will be a few years I'm sure!

I only wish I had found out so soon about the tri-flanges and W3 sound. I know they don't appeal to everyone, and I had to mod mine a bit (trim the stalk by half), but I am loving the W3s ever since I gave the Tri-Flanges a second go-round. Not sure what happened the first time, but no matter, they outperform any other IEMs I have owned, even the vaunted IE8s (which are sold). To me, going back and forth with the Senns kept leading me to want the W3s. Never a doubt. Glad someone new has found the magic.

Apr 9, 2009 at 8:39 PM Post #1,355 of 2,117
um56's on the way.... can't wait. It's going to be a long two weeks.

Apr 10, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #1,356 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I only wish I had found out so soon about the tri-flanges and W3 sound. I know they don't appeal to everyone, and I had to mod mine a bit (trim the stalk by half), but I am loving the W3s ever since I gave the Tri-Flanges a second go-round. Not sure what happened the first time, but no matter, they outperform any other IEMs I have owned, even the vaunted IE8s (which are sold). To me, going back and forth with the Senns kept leading me to want the W3s. Never a doubt. Glad someone new has found the magic.

that is exactly what I do with mine. I am enjoying prolonged sessions with the W3's, with absolute enjoyment and no discomfort or sibilance. The bass is well defined, not boomy, although sometimes it can be too strong for my taste. Overall, I am very satisfied with my choice.

Apr 11, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #1,357 of 2,117
Anyone can recommend some tips to improve the isolation on W3s?
They suddenly started isolating much less a week ago, and it seems to be getting worse by the day. Tried all the included tips, but none of them seem to work well.
What tips provide good isolation and comfort, and possibly any online stores that sell them?

Also anyone can recommend a $300-400 amp which can improve the soundstage of W3? Am pretty satisfied with all aspects of W3 except the pretty small sounding soundstage.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Apr 11, 2009 at 8:24 PM Post #1,358 of 2,117
^ I tried my friend's RSA Mustang w/ my W3. They sounded superb, wider soundstage, everything is better than unamped.

Apr 11, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #1,360 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheep_ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone can recommend some tips to improve the isolation on W3s?
They suddenly started isolating much less a week ago, and it seems to be getting worse by the day. Tried all the included tips, but none of them seem to work well.
What tips provide good isolation and comfort, and possibly any online stores that sell them?

Also anyone can recommend a $300-400 amp which can improve the soundstage of W3? Am pretty satisfied with all aspects of W3 except the pretty small sounding soundstage.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The tri-flanges don't isolate any more? Can't understand how that's possible. For me, they seal off outside sound almost completely (can barely hear anything). How can they be getting worse? Don't quite understand. What tips were you using to start with? If foamies, they may need to be replaced, as they can lose their ability to seal.

Apr 11, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #1,361 of 2,117
I was using those black silicon tips that came with the W3. Can't get a good fit on tri-flanges either.
I'm also pretty puzzled as my W3 just suddenly lost its isolation one day while i was on the train.

Apr 11, 2009 at 10:43 PM Post #1,362 of 2,117
Soft blacks have the poorest isolation of all tips. I would suggest trying triflanges with about 1mm removed from the stem, and inserted so that iems are touching the ear's "wall", basically as flush as possible. Foam sleeve have the best isolation.

Soundstage - I dont believe is curable. No amp will cause something drastic, that for sure. W3 have a typical iem soundstage- ie pretty poor by open air cans standards or even closed full sized cans. Having said that, the amp definitely improves W3 -mostly in other areas, apart from soundstage. This comes from my experience with a crappy source of iPod5g (with optional *good* portable amp Corda Move). I'm actually hoping that diymodding my ipod will improve the soundstage, but I'm not holding my breath...

Apr 12, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #1,363 of 2,117
W3 is first IEM I ever tried where the complys show a little more crispness in the detail as the tri-flanges. It has always been the opposite with Ety and Shure line. Not sure why this is.... I want to use the modded tri-flanges. I get a great seal, zero siblance great bass but the treble seems slightly veiled. I want to say it is due to the smaller hole opening on the tri-flange but this is never an issue with other IEM's. Strange...I think Catscratch had this feeling as well.

Apr 12, 2009 at 1:06 AM Post #1,364 of 2,117
Agree with that assessment, but I just tweak the highs a bit via EQ and it sounds great to me. I use acoustic on the Touch, and a few clicks on the Sony and the Clip. Just works. Have you tried it? I'm not one of those EQ haters, if it can make me happy.

Apr 12, 2009 at 2:58 AM Post #1,365 of 2,117
I would like your opinion. I think I will return my recently purchased W3 and exchange them for the UM3x, mainly because they mention there is no bump in any frequency, the case is smaller (same as UM2) and I am tempted because of his flatter sound. My misgivings are soundstage (smaller?) and higher likelihood of hiss because of different impedance. Any thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back